You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

General advice late on in tournaments

KerrnalKerrnal Member Posts: 132
edited October 2017 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all I am after some general advice on how I turn min cashes into final tables and top 3 finishes. I seem to make the money and then stumble just before the big money jumps.

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited October 2017
    In Response to General advice late on in tournaments:
    Hi all I am after some general advice on how I turn min cashes into final tables and top 3 finishes. I seem to make the money and then stumble just before the big money jumps.
    Posted by Kerrnal

Go crazy on people

And learn ICM
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited October 2017
    Have notes on as many players as you can.

Personally I use Sharkscope to find out if the players at my table are profitable and add notes as I go.

I have the silver version of Sharkscope which I find ideal for my needs. It gives you 150 searches a day with advanced searches and added extras. Its 16 dollars a month and you can buy one month at a time. From Sharkscope I copy and paste the players stats into the sky player notes.

I have a friend that recommends ICM Optimizer and see that ICM strategy was mentioned by Angmar so that would be a good route. Runitonce is a good poker strategy site too. Not sure on the cost these days though however its got loads of excellent content.

Few things which could be at play in regards to mincashing too often.

Running bad
    Too tight in middle/late stages or even early stages when you fold out a winner
    Too loose/aggressive in the above cases
    Not using position often enough or not targetting weaker players
    Not Sussing the wannabe mincashers from the guys going for the win
    Bluffing too much or too little
    Tilting
    Avoiding 50/50s

There will be loads more, I have focused the last few months on good notes while targetting weaker players and have noticed a difference in my results and play for the better. I am a lot more confident in my play and can always get better.

ICM Optimizer will be my next step.

GL
  • Options
    jordz16jordz16 Member Posts: 2,253
    edited October 2017
    My advice would be to have generated a big enough stack before the bubble to give yourself a real chance of winning, as the bubble approaches try to bully the middling stack players who wont wanna get carried away with marginal hands, if you can survive the bubble with a stack in the top 25% or with 40bbs plus (rough guide) then you are in a great position to final table.

Once the bubble bursts i'd be looking to target the bigger stacks, especially the players we deem as being poorer players with decent size stacks, all short stacks will likely go a bit crazy so its best to stay out the way as it will be hard for us to apply much pressure, but the bigger stacks wont want to tangle with other big stacks and we can use that to our advantage. 

Once the craziness comes to the end and there are only a few smaller stacks in play then we can go back to targetting middling stacks, as they will likely have their eyes on a FT and wont want to do anything too silly, smaller stacks will know they will still have to gamble so again so we want to avoid them unless we have hands we are happy getting it in with..

Once we are down to the final 10 players then we want to really up the aggression on everyone, Big stacks wont want to gamble against us, smaller stacks will try and hold on for pay jumps, we need to become aware of our opponents as its likely a short stack reg will be playing for pay jumps as much as a short stack rec etc and we should be targetting any player we believe we have an edge over, 

Once we make the final table I believe we should be applying pressure to every player bar the current short-stack. pay jumps will be on everyones mind and its likely the shortest stack will be resigned to 6th place and looking to gamble, id keep this strategy throughout the final table until hopefully you find yourself heads up. 

Im pretty terrible at explaining myself so it might not make too much sense but hopefully these dynaics offer some sort of use. 
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited October 2017
    In Response to Re: General advice late on in tournaments:
    My advice would be to have generated a big enough stack before the bubble to give yourself a real chance of winning, as the bubble approaches try to bully the middling stack players who wont wanna get carried away with marginal hands, if you can survive the bubble with a stack in the top 25% or with 40bbs plus (rough guide) then you are in a great position to final table.   Once the bubble bursts i'd be looking to target the bigger stacks, especially the players we deem as being poorer players with decent size stacks, all short stacks will likely go a bit crazy so its best to stay out the way as it will be hard for us to apply much pressure, but the bigger stacks wont want to tangle with other big stacks and we can use that to our advantage.    Once the craziness comes to the end and there are only a few smaller stacks in play then we can go back to targetting middling stacks, as they will likely have their eyes on a FT and wont want to do anything too silly, smaller stacks will know they will still have to gamble so again so we want to avoid them unless we have hands we are happy getting it in with..    Once we are down to the final 10 players then we want to really up the aggression on everyone, Big stacks wont want to gamble against us, smaller stacks will try and hold on for pay jumps, we need to become aware of our opponents as its likely a short stack reg will be playing for pay jumps as much as a short stack rec etc and we should be targetting any player we believe we have an edge over,    Once we make the final table I believe we should be applying pressure to every player bar the current short-stack. pay jumps will be on everyones mind and its likely the shortest stack will be resigned to 6th place and looking to gamble, id keep this strategy throughout the final table until hopefully you find yourself heads up.    Im pretty terrible at explaining myself so it might not make too much sense but hopefully these dynaics offer some sort of use. 
    Posted by jordz16

So in a nutshell....

• Options
    edited October 2017
    In Response to Re: General advice late on in tournaments:
    My advice would be to have generated a big enough stack before the bubble to give yourself a real chance of winning, as the bubble approaches try to bully the middling stack players who wont wanna get carried away with marginal hands, if you can survive the bubble with a stack in the top 25% or with 40bbs plus (rough guide) then you are in a great position to final table.   Once the bubble bursts i'd be looking to target the bigger stacks, especially the players we deem as being poorer players with decent size stacks, all short stacks will likely go a bit crazy so its best to stay out the way as it will be hard for us to apply much pressure, but the bigger stacks wont want to tangle with other big stacks and we can use that to our advantage.    Once the craziness comes to the end and there are only a few smaller stacks in play then we can go back to targetting middling stacks, as they will likely have their eyes on a FT and wont want to do anything too silly, smaller stacks will know they will still have to gamble so again so we want to avoid them unless we have hands we are happy getting it in with..    Once we are down to the final 10 players then we want to really up the aggression on everyone, Big stacks wont want to gamble against us, smaller stacks will try and hold on for pay jumps, we need to become aware of our opponents as its likely a short stack reg will be playing for pay jumps as much as a short stack rec etc and we should be targetting any player we believe we have an edge over,    Once we make the final table I believe we should be applying pressure to every player bar the current short-stack. pay jumps will be on everyones mind and its likely the shortest stack will be resigned to 6th place and looking to gamble, id keep this strategy throughout the final table until hopefully you find yourself heads up.    Im pretty terrible at explaining myself so it might not make too much sense but hopefully these dynaics offer some sort of use. 
    Posted by jordz16

A+ post, tyty

• Options
    KerrnalKerrnal Member Posts: 132
    Thanks for all your help :)

Kerrnal 1315000 1 £1058.36 + £380.43 Head Prizes 12
    IBetULose1 0 2 £624.47 + £170.41 Head Prizes 11
    wattsmang 0 3 £375.09 + £145.96 Head Prizes 5
    MATT8 0 4 £296.83 + £25.31 Head Prizes 2
    Iain12345 0 5 £251.41 + £92.63 Head Prizes 4
  • Options
    Haha very thinly veiled brag! wpwp!!
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    Yeah, Jordz pretty much nailed it. Bubble play is key, even the craziest players tighten up before that magic cash!

The biggest thing for me is underrated, and thats patience! Don't worry if you can't quite take advantage of spots or not getting the hands. Ive won so many tournaments where i've slipped to last place but stayed patient and clawed my way back.

For an example, your short and on the button with A9s and your delighted thinking this is the hand! I'm going with this! But someone else jams or raises enough that they can't fold and suddenly the situation has changed. That phrase that you need a stronger hand to call with than to push with is so true no matter how much the game changes over time!