You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

why can i not shove all in??

windamonwindamon Member Posts: 219
in a b/h this morning and this happened.i had 3000 chips behind me on the button when i made a 3x raise (blinds 30/60).small blind called and the big blind moved in for 320 chips.i wanted to shove all in to try and get ply 2 to fold his hand leaving me and ply 3 to fight it out but my only option available to me was the call button, allowing ply 2 to enter the pot cheaply, the all in option was not there!! i moved all in anyway and won the pot and bounty, but why was i not allowed to move all in???

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Think about the rules of re-raise sizes...
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,478
    windamon said:

in a b/h this morning and this happened.i had 3000 chips behind me on the button when i made a 3x raise (blinds 30/60).small blind called and the big blind moved in for 320 chips.i wanted to shove all in to try and get ply 2 to fold his hand leaving me and ply 3 to fight it out but my only option available to me was the call button, allowing ply 2 to enter the pot cheaply, the all in option was not there!! i moved all in anyway and won the pot and bounty, but why was i not allowed to move all in???

Because those are the rules of poker, on this & every other poker site across the world.
  • Options
    thx for that guys,but can you explain in detail as to why? iam interested to know if possible,after all,there is a reason for all rules isnt there?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,364
    If you google it , you will get your answer. @windamon
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited December 2017
    I'm confused as to how you described the hand mind because if you have raised it 3BB (180) then his raise should have allowed you to do a reshove since he his all in would have been larger than the minimum size required to reraise.

One thing is for sure the player who shoved has done an UNDER RAISE and the other player yet to act has just called, therefore the 3bet reraise needed for you to 4bet has not actually happened.
    As the mummy says look it up on google UNDER RAISE
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    Since no one has actually told the guy - I will.

You raise 180. He shoves for 320. Any reraise has to be at least a min raise so that would be 360. Because he can't min raise his bet is not classed as a raise so has effectively capped the action on that betting round. The only exception is if there are other players left to act who can then re open the betting.

These are little things you have to remember when wanting to raise. You can limp and hope he jams then you can reraise or call or raise an effective amount that he has to call all in.

This isn't just bounty hunters but any form, you have to be aware of the effective stacks and what your raise means. It happens more in bounty hunters as more people are willing to call short stack shoves so you can get multi way a lot which can be undesirable, especially with one pair hands. Example, AA. You just won't know where you are if 4/5 ppl call because you couldn't reraise!
  • Options
    thanks for your time and explanation my friend much appreciated.