You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Do you keep detailed records of your poker results?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,318

If you want to do better in poker, lots of things come into the equation, but for sure, keeping records is a great motivator.

Do you keep records, & if so, how? Excel, "Note", or some other means?

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    100% yes. Like a lot of people my age I used to play a lot of computer/playstation games back in the day so a big thing about poker for me is looking at stats and tracking progress in the same way you would in computer games. Would even say aiming for some sort of 'high score' is more important than the financial reward of winning! Would be interested to see if others agree (or strongly disagree) with that
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I have started doing this recently by using excel. I didn't used to bother and would tend to rely on scope.
    Going to try and track a few more things this year. I am a bit of a geek for stats and find it helps motivate me.
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    yes, as an example...

my figures aren't this good unfortunately.

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    edited January 2018
    I never used to untill two months ago when I saw a friend doing it,
    Now I record each session win/loss for the day and for the month. I find it much easier to keep track of things. I don’t like updating it when it’s a big losing session but I still have to record it.

I use google sheets, it’s easy to use and you can get app on your phone for it also,
  • Options
    JJBinksJJBinks Member Posts: 440
    its google for me to because of the detailed graph's you can have.
  • Options
    cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316

I'm very old school in this regard and have been booking every session for the last six or seven years.

It definitely helps as a motivational tool although I remember how much at first I hated recording big losing sessions I've got used to it as the years have gone by.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,355
    edited January 2018
    I started storing all my spinup cash sessions on a google spread(sheet), since Nov 5th ive accumulated 10,000+ hands( they can still be viewed ,in."hand histories")

A 2nd spreadsheet imports and sorts this data into players and HH IDs , in a non eyesore format.

Ive done all the hard work, now I just copy and paste a session and the spreadsheet does the rest.
    Its far from perfect, I still need tweaks here and there.

Its now easy to sift through stuff and focus on individual players.

Even at the tables, I can summon up info on a player if weve met historically, helps with fine tuning ranges.

Poker and spreadsheets tickle my fancy.

• Options
    cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    MattBates said:

I have started doing this recently by using excel. I didn't used to bother and would tend to rely on scope.
    Going to try and track a few more things this year. I am a bit of a geek for stats and find it helps motivate me.

Great, we really needed you to be more motivated.
  • Options
    BlackpumaBlackpuma Member Posts: 203
    aussie09 said:

yes, as an example...

my figures aren't this good unfortunately.

Great info Rob
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    MattBates said:

Started keeping my own spreadsheet from January last year just to see if it would help me and it's true it does motivate you to do better.
    But i have a question about what MattBates said about using Sharkscope, Over the year i have noticed a difference between what my spreadsheet says and what Sharkscope says for instance if i'am lucky enough to freeroll into a £33 or £110 game then Sharkscope take this as a loss if i don't win anything yet it's cost me nothing so on my spreadsheet it shows as no loss. Sharkscope is great as a guide to see how you and other's are doing but was wandering if anybody else notices a difference between there spreadsheet and there Sharkscope spreadsheet?.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,355
    safc71 said:

MattBates said:

Started keeping my own spreadsheet from January last year just to see if it would help me and it's true it does motivate you to do better.
    But i have a question about what MattBates said about using Sharkscope, Over the year i have noticed a difference between what my spreadsheet says and what Sharkscope says for instance if i'am lucky enough to freeroll into a £33 or £110 game then Sharkscope take this as a loss if i don't win anything yet it's cost me nothing so on my spreadsheet it shows as no loss. Sharkscope is great as a guide to see how you and other's are doing but was wandering if anybody else notices a difference between there spreadsheet and there Sharkscope spreadsheet?.
    Yes, I won a 1a seat to Brighton and SS Attributed me with £220, I then won a £220 1b seat for the saturday and it attributes me £160.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    safc71 said:

MattBates said:

There will be differences, sharkscope isn't 100% accurate. I tend to track on my spreadsheet from a profit perspective (including rakeback which will not be on scope) whereas would use sharkscope for analysing results. Eg different ROI in different games. Also you can compare to other players.

Some games are missing from scope and there are issues with scope when there are guaranteed seats in sats but there is overlay. Also some ukops sats award £530 ftw on scope when it should be either £110 or £24.

As long as you know that scope isn't 100% accurate it is fine as it is fairly accurate.
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    No, I am afraid I don’t keep ANY records at all but keep telling myself I need to start. Perhaps I should start a diary on here to motivate me. We shall see.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    I have an entirely different method of keeping track.

I have a separate bank account for my poker transactions, which prevents poker impinging too much on real life.

As many people know, on the rare occasions I win more than £10,000, I give half to my wife. This means that she does not mind me playing :)
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    Cheers mumsie and MattBates for the replies.I was surprised that there was a 20% difference between my spreadsheet and scope but if you factor in freeroll's ,sats ,poker token's and rakeback which a lot of players rely on to boost profit over a year period it all adds up i guess. Totally agree scope is a great guide to judge what type of player you are and others.
  • Options
    H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    To date I have only kept track of my withdrawals and guessed my winrate and hourly. I am going to try and keep better records this year and have devised a spreadsheet on excel.
    Record keeping on Sky is difficult due to hand history being restricted to 500 hands. I've assumed 600 hands/hr 8 tabling, thoughts? Also how do others record results on a spreadsheet when playing different limits at the same time?
    One final question, do you include rakeback in your bb/100? I assume so as rake is taken out so rackeback should be added back on.

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    H3nry said:

To date I have only kept track of my withdrawals and guessed my winrate and hourly. I am going to try and keep better records this year and have devised a spreadsheet on excel.
    Record keeping on Sky is difficult due to hand history being restricted to 500 hands. I've assumed 600 hands/hr 8 tabling, thoughts? Also how do others record results on a spreadsheet when playing different limits at the same time?
    One final question, do you include rakeback in your bb/100? I assume so as rake is taken out so rackeback should be added back on.

Good to see your'e not a robot!
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    Each year I normally,start keeping notes on all my bets poker/horses/footie/dogs in a diary .then after a few weeks I get fed up with it and stop,
    This year I've been putting them up on a forum,mostly just my wins/ loses each day/week.
    To see where I am leaking money,plan to put more details into it in the coming months.
    Having it up on a public forum,hopefully will make me bet/play poker a bit better (or at least more sensibly) as looking like a mug punter/poker player isn't much fun.
    Year not going to well so far,down about £190 (thanks mostly to a £315 loss on the horses/footie Friday and Saturday) plus the fact I've hardly been playing any poker this year so far,but the years young,plenty of time to do some damage haha.