You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

A spinup spot

mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,404
Im on my mobile phone, so editing out names is mammothly difficult.

Im intrested on comments on all streets.

/td>
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
LemonSauceSmall blind£0.10£0.10£9.82
mumsieBig blind£0.20£0.30£9.18
Your hole cards
EOD21Call£0.20£0.50£14.99
jammyjimFold
tcminCall£0.20£0.70£2.21
LemonSauceFold
mumsieRaise£0.70£1.40£8.48
EOD21Call£0.70£2.10£14.29
tcminCall£0.70£2.80£1.51
Flop
  • J
mumsieBet£1.40£4.20£7.08
EOD21Call£1.40£5.60£12.89
tcminFold
Turn
  • Q
mumsieBet£2.80£8.40£4.28
EOD21All-in£12.89£21.29£0.00
mumsie???

Comments

• Options
    Simmy4kSimmy4k Member Posts: 66
    Hi mumsie

Raise a few clicks bigger pre. We don't want to play a multiway pot with this hand or this position.

Cbet bigger as well on such a wet board, we get loads of worse hands to call with bare draws or pair/draw/overcard combos. Just value to be had so take as much as you can. 3/4 pot size would be what I would be going for.

Turn is one of the worst for our hand. The q makes a lot of pairs in our opponents range and completes a small number starights. We need to think about what hands can call us which are worse and there not many.

I'd elect to just check fold on this turn. Sometimes we get to see river and can reevaluate which is nice. When he bets I just give him credit for a bigger pair or very strong draw and fold.

As played I'd still be folding here.

Bit of an annoying spot with us being up and down. Hope you had an easier time of it for the rest of your session.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply simmy4k .
  • Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    Mumsie oop here preflop so make raise bigger to discourage callers and build a pot.

Flop looks good for your hand here with a ten or eight giving you 6 outs x4 is 24% so a quarter of a time you will make a straight or a set. Simmy is right that wet boards mean more can call you so a larger bet seems right. But now how do you feel if you make a set on a four straight board 7 t 9 j and you bet and get raised it will be hard to not call as we have the set with house outs ( us 26% him 74% we get house 1 in 4 times so 26%). If the eight hits the turn then its gin for you and you can start thinking about more value .
    When the turn comes with the queen I think it's a check on turn as now there are two over cards out there. By betting we rep our range but not alot else, there is no protection with the overcards out there. Turn now brings a flush card also so now more combinations of cards we need to be wary of. We only have one pair on a draw heavy board and there is not allot we can beat here.
    We can get more folds on the turn by double barreling but by building the pot in this way gives our opponent the impression that we are happy to play for stacks. With the queen of spades falling it now may mean that the ten of spades may be no good for you if it hits. So realistically the ten of hearts may be your only out and it may be no good as then higher straights beat us. So your choice here is to call off the £4.28 to win £21.29 getting 5/1 which seems a great price but not a great hand. It seems like a fold as your hand looked best on the flop and just got further away from being the best hand as it continued.
    It is a difficult game which can **** us off but the more we look into this situation the more you use your experience of hand reading , the use of bet sizes and what it means to get raised off our hand even when we have shown this much strength. Pot control may have been a better line but at least you were doing it with outs. Even though we have showdown value it seems like we were semi-bluffing on the turn when that is probably not the best use of our hand.
    Just learn from it and keep trying to improve and good luck at the tables Mumsie
    Danny
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
    edited January 2018
    (deleted because essentially the same as next reply)
  • Options
    Wrote out a reply to this and it seems to have disappeared which is extremely frustrating!

We should check flop here. Our hand makes a better check call than it does a bet. Betting serves to inflate the pot whilst learning nothing about our opponents hand strength, and is too weak to ever double barrel for value on brick turns. We have to check a street and choosing flop makes more sense. If it gets checked through we can assume we have the best hand as most villain's are going to bet Jx vs a check.

I think our range benefits a lot from checking flop here OOP. We have plenty of KQ AK AQ AT that can't bet so will check. There are a lot of awkward turns for our value range, so playing value hands as a check shove (AJ+) makes sense. We can use QTs and KTs as semibluff check shoves so we don't always have value when we jam. Hands like TT/QJs/ JTs (if they are in our range) can be played as a check call. It makes sense to play our worse Jx as check calls rather than check shoves as less good things can happen when we check jam them. (when we check jam AJ we can get called by worse Jx, if we check jam QJ we value own ourself more often v kj/aj) If the flop checks through we can lead a lot of our value hands/draws on the turn and fire twice often with them.

As played we have to check turn. Betting puts is in a position where we have to bet fold equity vs a jam, and are essentially bluffing as all worse hands likely fold. If we check and villain bets it is a really awkward spot for us, as villain's range when he calls flop is way ahead of tens (Jx, QT, KT,maybe KQ), and we probably have to fold. Any worse hands that call flop likely check back. There aren't really manys turns that are horrible for tens if we do check, aside from aces and kings.
  • Options
    Preflop I think 4x isolating OOP vs a limp minimum is reasonable. (+1bb per additional limp)
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724

Wrote out a reply to this and it seems to have disappeared which is extremely frustrating!

We should check flop here. Our hand makes a better check call than it does a bet. Betting serves to inflate the pot whilst learning nothing about our opponents hand strength, and is too weak to ever double barrel for value on brick turns. We have to check a street and choosing flop makes more sense. If it gets checked through we can assume we have the best hand as most villain's are going to bet Jx vs a check.

I think our range benefits a lot from checking flop here OOP. We have plenty of KQ AK AQ AT that can't bet so will check. There are a lot of awkward turns for our value range, so playing value hands as a check shove (AJ+) makes sense. We can use QTs and KTs as semibluff check shoves so we don't always have value when we jam. Hands like TT/QJs/ JTs (if they are in our range) can be played as a check call. It makes sense to play our worse Jx as check calls rather than check shoves as less good things can happen when we check jam them. (when we check jam AJ we can get called by worse Jx, if we check jam QJ we value own ourself more often v kj/aj) If the flop checks through we can lead a lot of our value hands/draws on the turn and fire twice often with them.

As played we have to check turn. Betting puts is in a position where we have to bet fold equity vs a jam, and are essentially bluffing as all worse hands likely fold. If we check and villain bets it is a really awkward spot for us, as villain's range when he calls flop is way ahead of tens (Jx, QT, KT,maybe KQ), and we probably have to fold. Any worse hands that call flop likely check back. There aren't really manys turns that are horrible for tens if we do check, aside from aces and kings.

Perfection.
  • Options
    Feeling Groggy ,
    Your lines in this made more sense to me once reading which seam to stem from not putting yourself into awkward spots after you have bet for bluff or semi or thin value and then facing raises or jams. IS this a GTO theory here that you apply.
    And you also advocate check jam for AJ+ here is this for pure value and being balanced. This seems very high variance for a once raised pot and three to the flop. Do you not fear better hands here or are you just going for it with this play?
    Thanks
    Danny
    (TWW)
  • Options
    I don't know what the exact 'GTO' theory would be, I just feel playing our range as I
    suggested feels pretty solid. You could possibly construct some strategy where you play certain combos as bets and checks and at different frequencies that produces a bit more ev for your range, but a strategy like that is much more difficult to apply in practice and unneccasarily complicated for the small additional value it might give.

Checking your range on boards that favour your opponents range (J97 is pretty good at hitting an opponent's limp call range as opposed to your isolate range that, whilst containing overpairs also contains a lot of bigger cards that don't connect well) is generally a pretty good strategy, and becomes more relevant the deeper you play.

Jamming AJ is purely for value. It is pretty difficult for AJ not to be the best hand if you think about hands villain might limp/call pre. This board will hit their range pretty well, but the more nutted combos on this texture (T8 J7 97 J9) shouldn't appear too frequently in villain's limp call range (and if they do they are limp calling a wide range that includes many more non nutted hands) For the times they have us outflopped they just get our money, but this will happen significantly less often than you think. We are only 3x deeper than the pot on the flop and will get it in ahead much more often than we will behind.

With poker your goal isn't too play your range in a way that minimises losses against possible monsters, but in a way that produces the most value from all the hands your opponents can possibly have. Sometimes they'll show up with a better hand, and thats okay, because you more than make up for it in the times that they don't.
    If villain developed a strategy where when we check shove he only bet calls with hands that beat AJ, he would get absolutely destroyed because he wouldn't be able to call off nearly often enough to make money.
  • Options
    Thank you both for your insights chaps @mcglynn07 @FeelGroggy , I have much to digest.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

Morning Groggs,

Sorry about that - I just found your reply in the "Spam Box" awaiting approval, no idea why.

I have now approved it & it is visible.

PS - Just realised why the software thought it needed Moderation - it probably thinks you are under age.

PPS - How is school going, when do you sit your GCSE's?
  • Options
    LnarinOOLnarinOO Member Posts: 545
    stack sizes (50bb eff) make this hand a little awkward but we still want to find the most optimal strategy.

vs two limps TT is a fistpump raise but as our hand is vulnerable AND were OOP so raising bigger not only protects our hand but also denies alot of equity from hands that will have to call vs smaller raise sizes.

betitng the flop may seem standard as a only one higher card etc and we want to prtoect our hand if it is best and if stacks were deeper it think betting would be best. if we think about what value hands we would have (all the sets, QQ-AA and some 2 pairs) then were going to need to have some bluffs. When we block the nuts so hard and still block the nuts on all non pairing turns, TT would be a nice hand to start bluffing. as stacks are not very deep this takes away our barrelling opportunities, therefore i dont see much value in betting the flop as not much worse can call, we block all the obvious draws and we cant get better hands to fold.

on the turn again i would have just checked as same reasons as above but as played its close to whether you actually need to call given the price but you might not have enough equity needing ~25%
  • Options
    Thanks again Groggy for you reply and all the time you have put in to replying to these posts. Again I am learning from you and the relevant things I should be thinking about when playing and my thought processes to go through. Cheers for the help danny
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

Some great feedback there from Groggs & LLan.

Well done lads.
  • Options
    step7step7 Member Posts: 298
    “You should strongly re-evaluate the strength of one-pair hands in the face of a raise on the turn.” -- Baluga Whale