You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

tough spot in the 50k super sunday, lucky escape?

Ironpump1Ironpump1 Member Posts: 177
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Good afternoon all,

I'm not the most active on the forums here at sky. I wanted to share this hand thats playing on my mind from last night. I feel it was one of two poor played hands (the other being a misclick bet pre of 22000 instead of a 2200 open) It was about 20 off the money and I have a 100k stack. You can see the action below

I was a bit dubious of the flat call from the cutoff and of course the A high flop with kings is always a bit of a drag after the action checked around I led (1st mistake?) cutoff calls, BB folds the river was a blank, I tank check, cutoff bets around 3/4 pot. I eventually call to see the bad news.

I realise this could have been a lot worse had I shoved the river or had the cutoff 3 bet pre, was my call bad? I was ahead of a missed flush, lower pairs in my mind so I called. I was at a very tough table with players much better than I and though I may be bullied of pots so this also factored in my decision making here.

I had a blast playing this event and it was a pleasure to play against some of the top dogs on here. I'm more than happy with the £210 I scooped in bounties and my 48th place finish. I really just wanted to play against great players and progress my own game.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Dean.

layer Action Cards Amount Pot Balance

rosiedog00 Small blind 1250.00 1250.00 25093.00
ozzieowen Big blind 2500.00 3750.00 114821.00
Your hole cards
K
K
Ironpump1 Raise 5500.00 9250.00 84155.00
Anastasia9 Fold
WALMBNNHWP Fold
SenorBegs Call 5500.00 14750.00 102182.50
rosiedog00 Fold
ozzieowen Call 3000.00 17750.00 111821.00
Flop
A
ozzieowen Check
Ironpump1 Check
SenorBegs Check
Turn
ozzieowen Check
Ironpump1 Bet 11300.00 29050.00 72855.00
SenorBegs Call 11300.00 40350.00 90882.50
ozzieowen Fold
River
Ironpump1 Check
SenorBegs Bet 27500.00 67850.00 63382.50
Ironpump1 Call 27500.00 95350.00 45355.00
SenorBegs Show
A
A
Ironpump1 Muck
K
K
SenorBegs Win Full House, Aces and 5s 95350.00 158732.50

Comments

• Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    I'm not an MTT expert.

You've only really caused this tough spot yourself, betting your KK on the turn will see the vast majority of weaker hands fold, the only ones which won't fold on the turn are the draws and since those don't call the river your having to the the river allowing your opponent to do a scary bet with a possible missed flush draw.

In tournaments like this you stand a good chance of facing a bluff a some point, not only could he pure bluff against your weakness on the river but he could semi bluff his flush draw on the turn, betting the turn and ch the river your playing your hand face up. if your opponent has any intention to semi bluff raise you on the turn or pure bluff you on the river, theirs a good chance he'll do a bluff bet if you were to ch the turn. The difference between a player bluff betting this river and a player bluff betting you on the turn is his overall hand range is much wider, if he were to bluff often enough it will make Ch/C your KK on the turn and river +EV, you could even opt to Ch/R your hand on the river in attempt to get rid of weaker aces if you know he'll double barrell bet them
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Suits would help to know about the missed flush part of the hand. I think river is a fold but can see why you called. Sometimes he might be bluffing with the missed flush or turning a worse pocket pair into a bluff but most of the time I think he us beat.

It is an interesting hand

Thoughts
    @FeelGroggy
    @LnarinOO
    @Jac35
    @railtard11

If you havent been tagged then post and prove why you should of been!
  • Options
    railtard11railtard11 Member Posts: 29
    Pre looks good. Flop looks good.
    Like checking the turn in general, would bet sometimes (not against these opponents) but would go for a smaller sizing (maybe 6-7k rather than the 11.5 u went for).
    As played i think the river is a check/fold vs senorbegs, given how big u bet on the turn it makes it an easier check/fold.
    But if he 3b pre u likely lose it all so you should feel happier about this hand than him ;-)
    gg
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

Pre looks good. Flop looks good.
    Like checking the turn in general, would bet sometimes (not against these opponents) but would go for a smaller sizing (maybe 6-7k rather than the 11.5 u went for).
    As played i think the river is a check/fold vs senorbegs, given how big u bet on the turn it makes it an easier check/fold.
    But if he 3b pre u likely lose it all so you should feel happier about this hand than him ;-)
    gg

Love to read your thought processes Mark - hope you keep posting them.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    I’m pleased that you tagged me in this Matthew. As your English teacher it’s good to see how you’re progressing.
    There’s a couple of hiccups.
    I would like to see an apostrophe.
    Also your old leak is still there i’m afraid. “have” not “of” dear boy.

All in all a good effort though

C+

As for the hand i’ll leave this one to Danny, railtard and lnarin.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

i’m afraid

QFT
  • Options
    Jess4Jess4 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2018
    Jac35 said:

I’m pleased that you tagged me in this Matthew. As your English teacher it’s good to see how you’re progressing.
    There’s a couple of hiccups.
    I would like to see an apostrophe.
    Also your old leak is still there i’m afraid. “have” not “of” dear boy.

All in all a good effort though

C+

As for the hand i’ll leave this one to Danny, railtard and lnarin.

I think it's only fair I point out that you should have used a capital H for the word have.

Thanks for the insight into the game all, great for people trying to learn and improve.
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
    Think this is a 1 street value hand. No bad rivers for us. Hand doesn't need protection. Prefer to check and vb river if it gets checked through. Can play some no equity hands the same that don't pick up any equity throughout the hand. Villain's can still have Ax in their range and seems a tad ambitious to get 2 streets here, especially with the larger sizing. Check turn to let them maximize bluffs and vb a lot of rivers when it gets checked through. Think that when he bets river as played he's going to be heavilly weighted towards value. If he thinks his 99-TT stuff is ahead on the turn he'll check back as they're still ahead. Think larger size also folds out more of his weaker value range anyway so less stuff he could turn into bluffs on river. Size could even make him fold some fd's which makes his bluff range even smaller on river.
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    I think i'm still c betting the flop around 33 - 35% of pot

If we get a raise i'm done with the hand. if we get flatted then its just a gross spot and I cant see the need to get involved.... but that's just me.

He could have missed the flush but I think the spot is going to be losing us money in a vacuum of hands