You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Blinded Out

Hello all

I wondered.......... During a DYM I was blinded out. So my question is this; Dealt hole cards not fit for betting, example being a run of 6c4h, 5s7c, 7h2c and the like, what is the best form of strategy to avoid being blinded out?

A bluff is only going to work so many times before being called out, shoving in order to maintain a stack is only going to annoy fellow players and not to mention that it is kinda a jerk move - is the wrath of the table worth only to avoid the blinding out??

Is it a sign that I am not the player I thought I was, am I actually a poor player with ideas not befitting my ability...... and so on

Thanks in advance for any pointers

The Pudding

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,521

Hello all

I wondered.......... During a DYM I was blinded out. So my question is this; Dealt hole cards not fit for betting, example being a run of 6c4h, 5s7c, 7h2c and the like, what is the best form of strategy to avoid being blinded out?

A bluff is only going to work so many times before being called out, shoving in order to maintain a stack is only going to annoy fellow players and not to mention that it is kinda a jerk move - is the wrath of the table worth only to avoid the blinding out??

Is it a sign that I am not the player I thought I was, am I actually a poor player with ideas not befitting my ability...... and so on

The Pudding

Hi Bunny, welcome to the Forum.

Never worry about annoying other players by doing that, you gotta do what you gotta do.

DYM's are relatively short, sometimes we just don't find playable hands & blind down. When that happens, try & find a "blank spot", or shove over the top of serial limpers once the Blinds start getting big. It's amazing how often serial limpers will limp/fold even when the blinds get big. But if a good players limps when the blinds are 100-200 or more, be wary, as he or she is probably trapping. (Good players rarely limp/fold, & only limp for a specific reason).

I'm the last person to give advice on NLH DYM's, as I'm a bit poo, but once blinds reach 100-200, & you have, say 1,000 or just over, now's the time to try & find that spot.

Better to shove with a weak hand at 100-200 than wait 2 more orbits when you'll only have a few hundred & they'll all call.

Good luck.

• Options
    BunnyBunnyBunnyBunny Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the advice.

I will try to pay more attention to the betting patterns; but what is a 'blank spot'?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    A "blank spot" is when nobody has opened before it gets to you.

Ideally, from the Button, as that means you only have 2 players to get past. Assuming you have a really bad hand & don't want a call, of course.

You can do it from any position, but the later the position, the better it is.

From UTG - first to speak, pre-flop - if you are really short, any Ace, or two paint cards is worth shoving too.

We really need one of the better players to help here, but the above is generally OK I think.

Try not to let your stack get below 4 or 5 Bigs before shoving though.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,278
    edited February 2018
    Hi BunnyBunny and welcome to the forum.

One thing to remember is that you generally need a better hand to call with than to push with (known as the gap concept, well worth a google search),

When you have a chip stack that is still big enough that others have to have a pretty good hand to call (because losing the hand would serious dent their chances of cashing in the DYM) then it is often a good move to push all in with ANY two cards when you are in late position and it is folded round to you. You are effectively trying to win the blinds, you don't want to get called but if you do you still have a chance to win. Obviously the fewer players that are left to act the more chance there is of them folding.

Oh and absolutely don't worry about making plays that 'annoy fellow players', poker is all about making other players uncomfortable at the table.

By the way I'm worse than Tikay. Just trying to help in the absence of any decent players commenting!
  • Options
    I had a pretty good run on the DTD's; 39th on table 2 and 25th on table 1 - the 3rd was an unexpected bounty and with very little experience with Bounties I crashed and burned!
    I wasn't blinded out though and happily lost to better hands. Seriously intense poker though at times, my adrenaline is still coursing!!

You guys have been very helpful and I thank you for your time to reply.

Bunny
  • Options

Great to hear you are enjoying your poker, bud, that's the most important lesson of all.

Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

Hello all

The Pudding

So do we call you bunnybunny or the pudding?

If you're gonna MA, at least try and not make it as obvious as you have.
  • Options
    I am both - I had technical difficulties with my Pudding account and it was necessary to register again.
    I am not trying to hide my previous self, in fact it would be preferable to be The Pudding but such as life.

I am sad that there have been encounters with others who have been less than honest about who they are and as such makes it impossible to trust players.

Fortunately I am not one of those shill account holders, I freely admit to having possessed a previous account in the name of The Pudding, and am not in the game of pretending to be someone I am not..... So feel free to call me either BunnyBunny or The Pudding, I am still the same ol' me regardless :):):)
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

I am both - I had technical difficulties with my Pudding account and it was necessary to register again.
    I am not trying to hide my previous self, in fact it would be preferable to be The Pudding but such as life.

I am sad that there have been encounters with others who have been less than honest about who they are and as such makes it impossible to trust players.

Fortunately I am not one of those shill account holders, I freely admit to having possessed a previous account in the name of The Pudding, and am not in the game of pretending to be someone I am not..... So feel free to call me either BunnyBunny or The Pudding, I am still the same ol' me regardless :):):)

Yes, trying to scam people out of money generally tends to do that.
  • Options
    Fair point, well made @hhyftrftdr
    I guess there are butt holes every where!
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    Was it Rice or Steamed ....... or the Club.
  • Options
    @goldon Definitely a sweet, chocolaty gooey pudding