You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Interesting spot in DYM?

SkyIsSoftSkyIsSoft Member Posts: 28

Ok so late in a Turbo DYM.

The big stack that has raised has been playing very aggro just playing for fun not paying attention to DYM. Seen him show up with some suspect hands. Played aggro and got lucky to get his stack.

Blinds are 100/200 but due to go to 150/300 next hand.

pretty sure guy in BB folds 99.99% of the time as he is a DYM reg.

can i ever consider folding knowing that the guy with 330 chips will most likely have to be all in before me?

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited March 2018
    Is yucky but Kings too strong to fold here IMO.

I probably call Queens in game too, although maths will probably say I shouldn't.
  • Options
    yhyh think i agree, especially when the opener has been playing so many hands
  • Options
    edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,899
    If you fold here you are in effect, letting the small stack go against the big stack, any two v any two in a couple of hands time.

A lot of the time you will be wishing you had the kings back when they double up. Or kicking yourself when the inattentive big stack's clock winds all the way down against them, and they inexplicably get a walk.

Like EvilPingu, I'm playing KK and QQ here.

• Options
    Cheers for feedback.

The way the big stack was playing im sure he would put player all in, but never know your right he could fold and id be crying.

What about JJ, 1010, 99? Folding those?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The problem with these situations is that we get them thrown at us in all sorts of circumstances. It is hard not to be influenced by very short term results, and your state of mind at the time.

If you have just had your KK outdrawn by ace rag a couple of times in the last half an hour, or you have folded and a short stack has been knocked out, then it is more likely that you will fold them here, even if the right move is to call. If a certain player keeps getting there against you, or you are just running bad generally, you may also consider folding.

On the other hand, if all the above have been going your way, not only are you calling KK, but you are a lot more likely to be playing QQ, JJ and TT, even if the maths says you shouldn't.

So it's handy to analyse these spots away from the tables, and we can narrow down what we should be calling with, but it is a lot more difficult to put into practice when you are two hours into a multi table session with all the other factors.

• Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited March 2018
    Interesting hand, agree with the consensus that Kings are just too strong there to fold. I'd like to throw another interesting spot up for debate on the back of this one. We're a little weaker in our holding and it's still five handed. It's an £11 Turbo DYM and we are 2/5 with 1.4k. Chip leader is the opener, the stack you can't see is just a hair over starting I believe. Nothing really out of line has happened on the table.

What do you do?

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    robbo343 Small blind 100.00 100.00 455.00
    cyall Big blind 200.00 300.00 985.00
    Your hole cards
    Ah
    Qs

silverazor Raise 400.00 700.00 1125.00
    TommyD ???
  • Options
    I struggle in these situations, and maybe err on the side of caution too much when there is action in front of me.

Readless, this is a pretty strong looking move by the raiser. They could be either super strong, or just min raising because they have chips, and putting the pressure on. I don't think they will be doing this too light with a small stack in the small blind though. Either way I would not be looking to get my chips in against the big stack in this situation, so I would fold.

Some players use the min raise in this situation to fake strength, but can still fold to pressure, so reads can be important here. If they were just being aggro because they have chips, then they are likely to continue this tactic, and the smaller stacks will come under pressure before you do.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Think the Kings query has been answered. The swing in chips makes this a call all day especially vs an aggressive player. Can fold your way to a short stack if your not careful.

Regarding the AQ query. Yes, very read dependant. I assume he has about 2k or so. Against an aggressive min-raiser I am all-in. AQ is good a lot of the time. Your struggling vs a small range of aggro's hands, being 5 handed he is eyeing chips for the bubble.

BTW I am folding AJo even against an aggro as there are chances for chips by open raising, unless he is being very aggressive and can fold to 3 bets I am folding.

I would fold vs an unknown or a tight player in this situation.

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    On the lowest pair I would call with in the original situation against this aggressive opponent. QQ, maybe..... JJ and add TT if he is nuts. Definitely folding 99 and below.
  • Options
    Think Tommy’s hand depends on action at table. I’d prob get this in here.

Re my hand, where is the cut off for getting it in? 1010?
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

On the lowest pair I would call with in the original situation against this aggressive opponent. QQ, maybe..... JJ and add TT if he is nuts. Definitely folding 99 and below.

This came through after I posted my question lol
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    TommyD said:

Interesting hand, agree with the consensus that Kings are just too strong there to fold. I'd like to throw another interesting spot up for debate on the back of this one. We're a little weaker in our holding and it's still five handed. It's an £11 Turbo DYM and we are 2/5 with 1.4k. Chip leader is the opener, the stack you can't see is just a hair over starting I believe. Nothing really out of line has happened on the table.

What do you do?

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    robbo343 Small blind 100.00 100.00 455.00
    cyall Big blind 200.00 300.00 985.00
    Your hole cards
    Ah
    Qs

silverazor Raise 400.00 700.00 1125.00
    TommyD ???

I fold