You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The forum

TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
edited May 2018 in Poker Chat
With the chance of sky poker being taken over by stars looking likely.
Has anyone giving any thought,what to do If the forum is closed,like having a back up plan for another forum (to keep the community together)
Reason I ask is, I remember when Ladbrokes closed their forum,one day it was there,the next it was gone, and lots of members lost touch with each other,luckily we managed to get another forum up and running after a while (but still lost touch with a lot of members)
It's something worth thinking about now,as it may be to late once it happens ( if it was to happen).

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    There are some community Facebook pages (Friends of Sky Poker, various team pages) where I imagine people would end up if the forum closed down. I think social media in general would make it somewhat easier for people to find their way back into the community if this were to happen.

Stars to tend to at least give some notice of change historically, like even vastly unpopular stuff like the end of SNE and BOTP, increases to rake and drops in rakeback all gave enough notice that if closing the Sky forum were treated in the same way, I think we would know a couple of weeks prior, at least.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    There's always Blonde.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    If I averaged about 40 posts a year over the last 6 years on the forum, I wouldn't be too concerned over what might or might not happen to said forum.
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited May 2018
    I'd say facebook is the best option. Skype is another great option, we have a group dedicated to the sky poker community. I think a varity of social media sites is best 1 site alone could be too much for the amount of posts likely to be made.

my main concern with this takeover is what will happen to our SPTs. Should we consider and think of ways we as a comminity can remain united and organise some of our own, we could have a chat on our social media community groups sort out a decent date where we as a community get together.
  • Options
    Strange post hhyftrftdr. how many posts does a member need to average a year before they can be concerned what happens to this forum.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028

Strange post hhyftrftdr. how many posts does a member need to average a year before they can be concerned what happens to this forum.

Just a guess, but I reckon a total in excess of 6,260 :)
  • Options
    EpokerEpoker Member Posts: 101

If I averaged about 40 posts a year over the last 6 years on the forum, I wouldn't be too concerned over what might or might not happen to said forum.

Pretty misguided mate. I barely post on here, just not my thing, but I've read the forum everyday religiously for over 6 years (and I'm sure there is many others like me) and I'd be gutted if it closed.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,370

Has anyone giving any thought,what to do If the forum is closed,like having a back up plan for another forum (to keep the community together)
    Reason I ask is, I remember when Ladbrokes closed their forum,one day it was there,the next it was gone, and lots of members lost touch with each other,luckily we managed to get another forum up and running after a while (but still lost touch with a lot of members)
    It's something worth thinking about now,as it may be to late once it happens ( if it was to happen).

Hi @TheMadMonk, hope you're well. You are certainly great company and entertainment at the tables.

Where did the Ladbrokes forum go to then ?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028
    edited May 2018
    mumsie said:

Hi @TheMadMonk, hope you're well. You are certainly great company and entertainment at the tables.

Where did the Ladbrokes forum go to then ?
    Was it the OK Coral?

Seriously, it was sad the way a good poker site was ruined...
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Some of the members took it over,and it turned into a forum called KRACKEDKINGS
    if that wouldn't have happened the whole community would have been lost. most only found out that the forum had started up again ,by speaking to other players at the tables,
    wouldn't like to see it happen here, like EPOKER I don't post a lot,but read most days ,as I like to read other forums as well .like blonde/2plus2/irish boards and a few others.
    Glad there is Facebook pages etc,so if worse happened (which I really hope doesnt,as poker needs forums imo ) that there's still a way for the members to keep in touch.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Epoker said:

Pretty misguided mate. I barely post on here, just not my thing, but I've read the forum everyday religiously for over 6 years (and I'm sure there is many others like me) and I'd be gutted if it closed.

Is it misguided?

For a forum to thrive it requires regular posters.
    If people aren’t posting then why should it be there?
    If people are just posting when they want to complain, then why should it be there?

To say you’d be gutted if the forum closed when you say you don’t want to contribute to it seems a bit cake and eat it.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,190
    Forums are vital ways to transmit information even if people don't always post on them. For instance I live 110 miles away from my favourite rugby league team and the only real link I have to it is through the forum. Now whilst i post occasionally on it i read it avidly every day so I know what's going on.

Yes the club has its own official website but tbh if I relied on that the season would be almost over before I had the fixture list. Plus the forum often tells it how it is warts and all.

Yours in poker

Mark.
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    Jac35 said:

Epoker said:

Is it misguided?

If people are just posting when they want to complain, then why should it be there?

To say you’d be gutted if the forum closed when you say you don’t want to contribute to it seems a bit cake and eat it.
    Lol

Seriousl you two...

Guy writes a genuine post that is a decent suggestion then you start, as always, to be confrontational.

Maybe.. just maybe... it is lonley people like you that put people off contributing on here regularly. Maybe the new owners will look at people like you who just post dribble then beg for comments on threads and decided to close it down and that would be a real loss for a lot of people. I have posted enough rubbish in the past to know when one deserves to be mocked.. but you and hdf are just a bore now.

• Options
    Nuggy962 said:

Jac35 said:

Epoker said:

Is it misguided?

Lol

Seriousl you two...

Guy writes a genuine post that is a decent suggestion then you start, as always, to be confrontational.

Maybe.. just maybe... it is lonley people like you that put people off contributing on here regularly. Maybe the new owners will look at people like you who just post dribble then beg for comments on threads and decided to close it down and that would be a real loss for a lot of people. I have posted enough rubbish in the past to know when one deserves to be mocked.. but you and hdf are just a bore now.

Yep, I'm very lonley.
    Whatever that is.
  • Options
    Epoker said:

It's not misguided in the slightest.

Forums need posters. Otherwise they cease to exist. If people would rather lurk than post then that is their choice. However by doing so they are partially contributing to its downfall (should it have one) and so to then lament the loss of the forum is rather silly.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    If the forum doesn't continue then the posters who lurk and don't post cant really complain. The forum thrives with interaction and we also need positivity. That doesn't mean we cant discuss things and raise issues but it needs to be done in the right way.

Think I have said this before Nuggy but you seem a bit obsessed with Jac/hhy and seem to take the opposite view to whatever is said by them and the majority of your posts seem to be about them which is somewhat strange. If you actually read what had been said then surely you can agree that we need people to post/interact rather than lurk or the forum will die.

We don't all have to be besties and should be able to debate topics without falling out. Stars will make their own decision on the forum but the way we use the forum over the next few months can either make the job a lot easier for stars to shut it down or can help Tikay/Sam et al to provide the business case to keep it.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616
    edited May 2018
    MattBates said:

If the forum doesn't continue then the posters who lurk and don't post cant really complain. The forum thrives with interaction and we also need positivity. That doesn't mean we cant discuss things and raise issues but it needs to be done in the right way.

Think I have said this before Nuggy but you seem a bit obsessed with Jac/hhy and seem to take the opposite view to whatever is said by them and the majority of your posts seem to be about them which is somewhat strange. If you actually read what had been said then surely you can agree that we need people to post/interact rather than lurk or the forum will die.

We don't all have to be besties and should be able to debate topics without falling out. Stars will make their own decision on the forum but the way we use the forum over the next few months can either make the job a lot easier for stars to shut it down or can help Tikay/Sam et al to provide the business case to keep it.

My voice won't carry any weight, but otherwise, that's (the enboldened part) spot on.

On another thread, one player called both 'Stars & Sky everything from a pig to a dog, and then suggested 'Stars would surely close the forum.

Think that's called cause & effect. Is it any wonder so few in-house Poker Forums still exist?

Good constructive criticism is fine - if it's balanced. Those who only use the Forum to complain & diss are not helping one little bit.

The chances of the forum surviving? No idea. But if we use the forum sensibly, & get enough interaction, it MUST help our chances.

You guys have the power to help keep the forum open by using the Forum, & using it sensibly.