You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

playing mid-low pairs

Hi all,

very new to poker (hope I'm in the right place to ask)

I know there are lot so variables but what the **** do you do when you hit 4-4 to 9-9 pre-flop ? If you raise too low you get called and then AQT flop and you're buggered and don't know where you are, you raise too high and big/small blind has at least 1 over card if not more and get called 70-30...

I've folded pocket 8's and 7's so many times purely on the basis of not knowing where I am but then played deuces or threes to all in because I trust my read on my opponents... what is it about those mid pairs? or is it just a psychological thing with me alone?

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Some more information would be useful. Cash? MTTs? What sort of stack size do you have issues with?

As a general rule (based on the small info given) I would be opening the same with all our holdings.
  • Options
    PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    I think the key is to know what you are aiming to achieve. There is no reason as to why you should not be playing mid-pairs (any pair) in most circumstances because you could always hit your trips or full-house and smash the pot.....Having said that, Daniel Negreanu apparently had a thing for getting his low numbered trips smashed in tournaments. Baring in mind if you raise pre-flop with a low pair then any caller may well have a better pair and hit their trips also plus they got standing value of their pair being better than yours.

I think generally speaking you should play your pairs with weaker pairs from stronger position so you have some insurance with table-reads on your opponents. That's my dig.
  • Options
    OnyxHeroOnyxHero Member Posts: 1
    I tend to play 2-2.5 BB with my ranging range including small PPs early in MTTs when the blinds are low. As I run deep, if my stack allows me I will continue to do the same. If I am less then 30BBs then I will tighten my range unless the table is tight in which case I will continue trying to pick up pots/hit sets with my small/medium PPs.

I am a bit old school where I do not like getting my stack in with anything below 99-AAs including AQs/AKs when on 10 to 15BBs from early to mid position but will allow that to widen quite significantly when below 10BBs.

Small/Medium PPs are tricky to play pre flop with 25+ BBs in MTTs and if you are uncomfortable playing them at this stage I would suggest reverting to a TAG style of play and concentrate on your post flop play and range analysis of your opponents.

Once you have become more confident, start opening your range a little whilst in position. If you are getting frustrated with certain hands review how you have played them by taking into consideration the following:

1: You opponents range.

2: Your position.

3: You table image.

4: The pre flop action (are you calling 4 bets with hands such as 55 pre and folding to any flop containing an Ace when you miss you set?).

5: Are you bet sizing correctly both pre and post flop when looking to commit or give yourself the mathematical ability to fold the hand?

6: Are you being drawn into big pots pre out of not wanting to lay down a PP pre?

I hope some or all of the above helps.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,670
    OnyxHero said:

I tend to play 2-2.5 BB with my ranging range including small PPs early in MTTs when the blinds are low. As I run deep, if my stack allows me I will continue to do the same. If I am less then 30BBs then I will tighten my range unless the table is tight in which case I will continue trying to pick up pots/hit sets with my small/medium PPs.

I am a bit old school where I do not like getting my stack in with anything below 99-AAs including AQs/AKs when on 10 to 15BBs from early to mid position but will allow that to widen quite significantly when below 10BBs.

Small/Medium PPs are tricky to play pre flop with 25+ BBs in MTTs and if you are uncomfortable playing them at this stage I would suggest reverting to a TAG style of play and concentrate on your post flop play and range analysis of your opponents.

Once you have become more confident, start opening your range a little whilst in position. If you are getting frustrated with certain hands review how you have played them by taking into consideration the following:

1: You opponents range.

2: Your position.

3: You table image.

4: The pre flop action (are you calling 4 bets with hands such as 55 pre and folding to any flop containing an Ace when you miss you set?).

5: Are you bet sizing correctly both pre and post flop when looking to commit or give yourself the mathematical ability to fold the hand?

6: Are you being drawn into big pots pre out of not wanting to lay down a PP pre?

I hope some or all of the above helps.

Hi @OnyxHero

Welcome to the Forum, what kept you? ;)

Good solid maiden post, thank you. Post more. We have a few nice areas of the Forum you may enjoy - Poker Clinic, Lifestyle stuff, Sport, Punting, there's even a thread for Fat Blokes. Stick around.

I notice you have been playing here a lot more recently, what made you return?

Have a great weekend.
  • Options
    weedgiweedgi Member Posts: 103
    how u play them completely depends on your stack size (how many big blinds)
    and is this tournament or cash without this you wont get a good answer
  • Options
    charlton99charlton99 Member Posts: 3
    many thanks for the advice...

A month on of playing I have to admit how naïve I was! I was labouring under the assumption there is a right way to play without taking into account what you kind folks have pointed out - stack size, table image etc. I've kinda learned as I've played - learned a lot from the hands I've lost and got lucky a few times along the way.

I very much appreciate the advice guys. In the long run I think the best way to learn is by making the mistakes and learning from them - it's felt very intuitive to me rather than a system - thanks though guys I appreciate it