You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Happy (?) Ramadan

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

I believe Ramadan starts today. Ramadan is, broadly, the month of fasting celebrated by Muslims. It changes dates every year, & lasts just short of a month.

Firstly, I hope "Happy" is the right adjective to use in conjunction with Ramadan. It's fascinating to see how others observe their particular Religion or God. One of life's great mysteries & sorrows is that people of different religions don't always get along so well.

A few random thoughts follow. If we have any Muslims here, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

Comments

• Options

Did you know that big Online Gaming Sites such as SB&G include Ramadan in their forecasting, as they know & expect that business will decline during Ramadan?

Amazing the things that can affect the volume of business.
  • Options

Perhaps the currently most well-known or famous Muslin in the UK is Mohammed Salah, the Liverpool goal-scoring machine.

I like everything about Salah, he seems to be a genuinely good man.

Before a game, or after he scores, he can often be seen doing the sujood. That's when they face Mecca, on all fours, with forehead, nose, hands, knees & toes all touching the ground;

My question would be, how does a professional sportsperson who is Muslim balance that with some of the Ramadan requirements, especially "fasting"?

Fasting is obligatory during certain hours:

"While fasting from dawn until sunset, Muslims refrain from consuming food, drinking liquids

That's impossible for a pro Sportsperson such as Salah, surely? Is there some special exemption?

I do understand, that not every Muslin follows these edicts, though most I know do seem to. Very different to Christianity, where most "celebrate" Christmas despite not really knowing what it represents, they just use it to eat & drink to excess.

If I had my time again, & could choose such things, I'd like to be a Muslim I think, look at this for a lovely facet of Ramadan;

Muslims are also instructed to refrain from sinful behavior that may negate the reward of fasting, such as false speech (insulting, backbiting, cursing, lying, etc.) and fighting except in self-defence

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    Tikay10 said:

Did you know that big Online Gaming Sites such as SB&G include Ramadan in their forecasting, as they know & expect that business will decline during Ramadan?

Amazing the things that can affect the volume. of business.

That's very strange as gambling is forbidden according to Allah.
    https://islamqa.info/en/4013
  • Options

Think you can safely assume that many Muslims gamble.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,042
    I used to work with two devout Muslims and asked what Ramadan was about. I was told it is to 'cleanse' themselves before Allah although there were exemptions, notably pregnant women, also children were not expected to fast & neither were professional sports people.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    VespaPX said:

Tikay10 said:

Coming over here, stealing our bets.
  • Options
    SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 477
    Tikay10 said:

My question would be, how does a professional sportsperson who is Muslim balance that with some of the Ramadan requirements, especially "fasting"?

That's impossible for a pro Sportsperson such as Salah, surely? Is there some special exemption?

It depends on the individual, I suspect it is a difficult decision to make, but most definitely top footballers/ sportsmen have continued to play their sport during Ramadan. The Algerian football team in 2014 played their last 16 tie vs Germany a few days after Ramadan had begun and the majority of the team were fasting (they did however lose).

• Options
    CATCH-22CATCH-22 Member Posts: 270

lol luv it but how would it be in the political correctness thread

prime example of funny but for sure someone would complain
  • Options

VespaPX said:

Tikay10 said:

No just the innocence of thousands of young girls.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    VespaPX said:

VespaPX said:

Tikay10 said:

Evening Tommy.
  • Options
  • Options
    CATCH-22CATCH-22 Member Posts: 270

VespaPXVespaPX Posts: 4,655Member
    May 28
    hhyftrftdr said:
    » show previous quotes

No just the innocence of thousands of young girls

Sigh

hhyftrftdr Posts: 6,309Member
    May 28
    VespaPX said:
    » show previous quotes

Evening Tommy.

lol
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
    Going back a few years, I was working with a bloke from Sheffield, called Javid. On the day in question he explained to me that Ramadan had just started, and what was involved.
    We were working at a resort in Cornwall at the time.
    After I had finished work for the day, I decided to pop into the bar for a quick pint.
    Imagine my surprise when Javid was sat there, tucking into a big plate of fish and chips, whilst drinking a pint of lager.
    I pointed out that this didn't seem much like fasting to me. However he quickly explained that Ramadan was pretty flexible, and you could just add a day or two on at the end.
    I didn't outright call him a liar, but it did seem like a bit of a pitch to me.
    I was with a friend of mine at the time, and for years after, if Ramadan was mentioned, we used to mention to each other how flexible it seemed.