You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Call or Fold (Live tourney)

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hi all,

Its the final table of the local £50 tourney and we are 4 handed. All the players are regs and we know each other well having played probably hundreds of hours with each other.

Blinds are 8000 / 16000 with a 2000 ante stacks are as follows sb 430,000 Me in bb 199,000 utg 260,000 utg+1 100,000.

utg raises to 40,00, utg+1 folds, sb shoves, I have Q Q in the big blind. Its been pretty much shove or fold poker for the last level and I know that the small blinds steal frequency is climbing through the roof.

With that information do you call the shove or fold ?

Yours in poker

Mark

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Serious post?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2018
    I feel that there are 2 ways to play this hand.

1. Insta-shove, trying to get utg to fold
    2. Tank for a while, sigh-call, trying to get utg to call

Folding is not an option. You want to wait for something better than the 3rd-best hand pre-, as the shortstack?
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited June 2018
    Its 4 handed and a shallow tournament and we have QQ. I am calling QQ even if there had been 2 all ins in front of me in a tournament like this.

Also, if you are thinking about folding QQ it is no wonder that the sb steal frequency is through the roof.
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses guys.

I did in fact call. UTG folded which was only after a bit of deliberation and BB tabled AQ off.

The river was a harmless 2 6 10 rainbow but a J on the turn and a river K saw me bust in 4th.

I was happy with the call because tbh I really cant find a fold under those circumstances. I actually thought that UTG was the bigger threat after their pre flop raise and had noticed the SB, as the big stack, was almost always 3 betting any pre flop raise so put him on a fairly wide range and would almost do the same again in a similar situation.

Yours in poker

Mark
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

Thank you for the responses guys.

I did in fact call. UTG folded which was only after a bit of deliberation and BB tabled AQ off.

The river was a harmless 2 6 10 rainbow but a J on the turn and a river K saw me bust in 4th.

I was happy with the call because tbh I really cant find a fold under those circumstances. I actually thought that UTG was the bigger threat after their pre flop raise and had noticed the SB, as the big stack, was almost always 3 betting any pre flop raise so put him on a fairly wide range and would almost do the same again in a similar situation.

Yours in poker

Mark

Do you post this hand if the river was a 3?
  • Options
    Not sure what you're implying here but to answer your question honestly....

Actually I would because right now I'm seriously trying to analyse what I think are pivotal situations in my live games. Which is why I asked the question before revealing the outcome.

Had the river been a 3 then the question might well have been about the sb 3bet shove into 2 players who he knows are capable of calling and trying to understand his thought process. I was also conscious of the fact that the smallest stack at the table was going to be in the blinds in the 2nd and 3rd hands after this and maybe there was a case to be made for closing down and maybe laddering up (which is something I personally try to avoid as I believe once you're in the money then you play for the win, the exception being if theres several shorties).

I'm also aware of trying to play optimal poker at all times regardless of the outcome. You may notice that many of my posts involve final table scenarios, that's because at the moment making the final table in the local comps in my area isn't too difficult (basic A B C poker will get you there) and its usually at least 6 or 7 of the same faces when you get there. Its then all about then capitalising on the opportunities that present themselves once you're there and turning those bubble bursts and min cashes into wins.

The question was asked because different players sometimes have a perspective on a hand that I may have not considered and the one thing Ive learned by posting hands on here is that theres always something to learn.

Yours in poker

Mark

• Options
    edited June 2018

Actually I would because right now I'm seriously trying to analyse what I think are pivotal situations in my live games. Which is why I asked the question before revealing the outcome.

Had the river been a 3 then the question might well have been about the sb 3bet shove into 2 players who he knows are capable of calling and trying to understand his thought process. I was also conscious of the fact that the smallest stack at the table was going to be in the blinds in the 2nd and 3rd hands after this and maybe there was a case to be made for closing down and maybe laddering up (which is something I personally try to avoid as I believe once you're in the money then you play for the win, the exception being if theres several shorties).

I'm also aware of trying to play optimal poker at all times regardless of the outcome. You may notice that many of my posts involve final table scenarios, that's because at the moment making the final table in the local comps in my area isn't too difficult (basic A B C poker will get you there) and its usually at least 6 or 7 of the same faces when you get there. Its then all about then capitalising on the opportunities that present themselves once you're there and turning those bubble bursts and min cashes into wins.

The question was asked because different players sometimes have a perspective on a hand that I may have not considered and the one thing Ive learned by posting hands on here is that theres always something to learn.

Yours in poker

Mark

It was a pretty clear and obvious implication that you would never post this hand had your QQ held. So a very results orientated post.

There really is no discussion or spot here whatsoever.
  • Options

Yours in poker

Mark

It was a pretty clear and obvious implication that you would never post this hand had your QQ held. So a very results orientated post.

SAYS YOU. Ffs just accept that others may have reasons to post that are outside of your ability to comprehend. Tbh I would rather you not respond to any of my posts as all you seem to want to do is be a smug self satisfied ****.

I frequently get criticised by Matt bates, Jac35 and others but they are always trying to improve me, you just seem to want to put the boot in. I just look forward to the day when....., well just lets say that's gonna be a good day.

Yours in poker

Mark
  • Options

Yours in poker

Mark

SAYS YOU. Ffs just accept that others may have reasons to post that are outside of your ability to comprehend. Tbh I would rather you not respond to any of my posts as all you seem to want to do is be a smug self satisfied ****.

I frequently get criticised by Matt bates, Jac35 and others but they are always trying to improve me, you just seem to want to put the boot in. I just look forward to the day when....., well just lets say that's gonna be a good day.

Yours in poker

Mark
    Yours in anticipation.
  • Options
    Really ?? What is it that stirs your anticipation ?

Yours in puzzlement
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Yours in puzzlement

I just look forward to meeting someone who has made 400+ live final tables.
    Incredible achievement.

Yours in awe.
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    13BB or so and you pick up Pocket Queens. There's no way that folding should even enter your train of thought. What better spot would you be waiting for?
  • Options

Yours in puzzlement

I just look forward to meeting someone who has made 400+ live final tables.
    Incredible achievement.

Yours in awe.
    Its 1 a week in 20 / 30 / 40 runner fields trust me its not that difficult. Now if it were 1 a week in a stars £215 thatd be something incredible.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    I had a similar situation last night 3 handed.
    Button opens for 1/2 his stack and I comfortably cover him and have JJ
    I shoved and he had QQ

I hit a J on river. You just need to get better at rivers @TheEdge949 ;)
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,036
    Brilliant song that,,,At the Edge (SLF) lol