You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

TDYM - small pairs with 10bb

CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Find myself chopping and changing my strategy with these.

Say you have 22 - 66, all players still in, your utg/utg + 1 or even CO, are you shoving/minraising/3xing or folding?

Some of my least favourite decisions in the TDYMs these scenarios.

More of a general question/thoughts based post for now. Will post specific examples when I come across them.

Thoughts?

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
    Hi Cammy.

I don't play many dyms on Sky as I prefer my dym 10 handed, but for me these are folds really from any position except the blinds, probably until were down to 4 players and then its about exploiting the smaller stacks who don't want to be bubble boy. Even from the blinds Im not calling a raise unless ive got some strong indication that the raiser has a vpip of stupid proportions.

The only caveat to this is your own stack. if Im less than 5bb its a shove.

Yours in poker

Mark
  • PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    edited June 2018
    It's all very dependent on the board. Really you're playing those sorts of hands hoping to hit trips and stack up. Aiming to get them in as cheaply as possible pre-flop and hoping the board hits on the flop. If it doesn't then you are risking it with low pairs as you may already have been overtaken.

I wouldn't shove your whole stack in if you've missed and there are lots of over-pairs on the board as you'll probably get called and eliminated. A decent sized bet as a semi-bluff might work because then if you get raised or called you will know that you probably are not in a good spot.

Due to the generally loose nature of turbos (and the fact you have far fewer bigs to your stack to begin with) 10 bigs is not as bad as it might otherwise be considered so I wouldn't panic and shove all in necessarily - I've come back from just 100 chips to win before. Happened more than once so it can be done.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Above is one example. I think this is a shove for 5bb, would say I am comfortable shoving for up to 7bb but unsure on 8 - 10bbs.
    Another one. I folded here and would shove for 8bb or less.
    af.PNG 46.1K
    One more

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,471
    No offence but I’m only interested in your colour codes ;)
    Jac35 said:

No offence but I’m only interested in your colour codes ;)

yellow - reg/decent
    orange - good
    red - bigger winner
    green - bad
    blue - fish

which one are you? :)
    Will score out names for next time!
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,471
    Well clearly I’d be blue :)
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    I am absolutely no expert in DYM’s, but that 99 seems like a slam dunk fist pump high fiving all your mates type of shove...VERY open to being proven otherwise?
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Personally shoving 33 based on our stack size. Shoving 99 based on hand strength. Folding 55 due to being 2/4.
    edited July 2018
    Jac35 said:

Well clearly I’d be blue :)

I concur! ;)

I'm a greeny/blue, unfortunately you can't tag yourself.

Cheers for the comments all, these games turn your brain into cabbage soup sometimes. Wanted to double check
    edited July 2018
    Allan23 said:

I am absolutely no expert in DYM’s, but that 99 seems like a slam dunk fist pump high fiving all your mates type of shove...VERY open to being proven otherwise?

Hi Allan

This one is close, ran some ICM numbers on it. You would be shocked at how close this is. 10bb is deep for TDYM and getting into a 50/50 is the last thing you want.

Basically there is still 2 mins of the level left and these tourneys run on 2 minute levels. You will get it through a fair bit however there likely are better opportunities to get your money in as crazy as that sounds. 10bb is a lot mid stages and there is surprisingly still quite a bit of play left. When running the numbers I have my opponents calling range at 10% which covers roughly ATo/A9s/KQs and pairs 66+, it's interesting reading for sure. 10% is loose and these numbers should be less however I find on sky the calling standards are too loose so try to adjust for that.

The above is for unknown players, when I get a bit a game time with opponents I can adjust the calling ranges accordingly.
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    Interesting mate I’m surprised it’s that close, thanks for running the numbers