You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Did I play this hand right???

prize66prize66 Member Posts: 4
I was just wondering what people thought about this hand did I play it correctly and just get unlucky to be called or should I of maybe played this hand a little different??? I represented a flush with the A of diamonds flush draw and was called with just top pair and just wondered what peoples view on the hand is thanks
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Limp2LoseSmall blind500.00500.0080574.00
prize66Big blind1000.001500.0022085.00
Your hole cards
  • A
  • J
Shirley91Fold
FulcherFold
mkgunnerFold
RuffRuffRaise2096.003596.0084304.00
Limp2LoseFold
prize66Call1096.004692.0020989.00
Flop
  • J
  • K
prize66Bet3000.007692.0017989.00
RuffRuffCall3000.0010692.0081304.00
Turn
prize66All-in17989.0028681.000.00
RuffRuffCall17989.0046670.0063315.00
prize66Show
  • A
  • J
RuffRuffShow
  • Q
  • K
River
RuffRuffWinPair of Kings46670.00109985.00

Comments

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    If you're repping the flush then the line you've taken isn't a very believable one. Which would be a good thing if you did have the flush. Just donk betting huge is generally a big no no.

You have showdown value here and plenty of it so you have absolutely no need to bluff. Check calling at !east 2 streets here and probably 3.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    If it’s a bluff I actually quite like it, blocking but flush and 2 pair combos (hands which are most likely to call your huge jam) but the chances of someone folding a king in most tourneys on sky are slim. What tourney were you playing? As kapowblamz says though you have a pretty perfect candidate for a check call check call line
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    You say you represented the flush but would you play the nut flush this way? You have led into the pre flop aggressor and then have shoved when the draw has come in?
    Our hand seems a very good one to be check calling the flop or to be playing more aggressively pre flop. When we lead the flop I think generally we are folding the hands that we beat and getting called by worse.
  • Options
    Allan23 said:

If it’s a bluff I actually quite like it, blocking but flush and 2 pair combos (hands which are most likely to call your huge jam) but the chances of someone folding a king in most tourneys on sky are slim. What tourney were you playing? As kapowblamz says though you have a pretty perfect candidate for a check call check call line

I was in the sunday major and guy in hand against me was chip leader and was loosing chips because he was raising pre flop with every hand he had which is why i only called preflop and went agressive post. thanks for the tips
  • Options
    MattBates said:

You say you represented the flush but would you play the nut flush this way? You have led into the pre flop aggressor and then have shoved when the draw has come in?
    Our hand seems a very good one to be check calling the flop or to be playing more aggressively pre flop. When we lead the flop I think generally we are folding the hands that we beat and getting called by worse.

As i just put I didnt raise preflop becuase of way other player had been playing and during the table i had won with a few flushes where I bet on the flush draw then bet the flush and showed some folds to allow me to play hands such as this one but cant remember if he was on the table then. thanks for the tips
  • Options
    JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    edited August 2018
    Ok,

So I haven't read the other comments as didn't want to be influenced by them... but here are some things to consider first off for this hand....

a) your stack size compared to opponents stack size before anything happens
    b) position/the inital pf action
    c) Your big move on the turn

Firstly, we can see that the opponent is on the button and has 4 x your stack size. I am not too sure as to the dynamics of where you are in the tournament at this stage, or your opponents pf raising range (loose/tight?) but I may even consider jamming with AJ here pre flop if they have been raising a lot from this position - he may call (in which case you would be 59% favourite), or he may fold in which case you win a 3500 pot. I am sure that in most cases AJ is beating his raising range from the button.

If you don't jam, then its flat (like you did) or re-raise. Re-raising to around 6000/7000 will make your hand look strong and put him in a sticky spot (you'd be calling his jam if he went all in).

If you flat like you did, then he probably assumes he has the best hand - definitely so when he sees the flop. I would say for sure, when he see's this flop, he isn't folding to anything you do (due to your stack size and the pre flop betting) unless an ace was to come on the turn, or turn AND river were diamond, diamond. IF you had re-raised pre flop there may be a tiny bit of doubt in his mind that he isn't winning (losing to a set, AK or AA).

Your big mistake however, is obviously jamming the turn. I appreciate at the time you obviously didn't think he had the king, but you must also try and put your opponent on a hand - what do you think he had?

Jamming here with only the draw (you are now only 29% to win the hand) is very aggressive, but you will always be called by KQ.

So lots of options... sorry for in depth analysis. I think in conclusion I would have either jammed pre flop, or tried to keep the pot small on flop, turn and river, in the hope the AJ was good.

Now i'm going to read the other comments and see how wrong I am haha!

• Options
    Jacquelyn said:

Ok,

So I haven't read the other comments as didn't want to be influenced by them... but here are some things to consider first off for this hand....

a) your stack size compared to opponents stack size before anything happens
    b) position/the inital pf action
    c) Your big move on the turn

Firstly, we can see that the opponent is on the button and has 4 x your stack size. I am not too sure as to the dynamics of where you are in the tournament at this stage, or your opponents pf raising range (loose/tight?) but I may even consider jamming with AJ here pre flop if they have been raising a lot from this position - he may call (in which case you would be 59% favourite), or he may fold in which case you win a 3500 pot. I am sure that in most cases AJ is beating his raising range from the button.

If you don't jam, then its flat (like you did) or re-raise. Re-raising to around 6000/7000 will make your hand look strong and put him in a sticky spot (you'd be calling his jam if he went all in).

If you flat like you did, then he probably assumes he has the best hand - definitely so when he sees the flop. I would say for sure, when he see's this flop, he isn't folding to anything you do (due to your stack size and the pre flop betting) unless an ace was to come on the turn, or turn AND river were diamond, diamond. IF you had re-raised pre flop there may be a tiny bit of doubt in his mind that he isn't winning (losing to a set, AK or AA).

Your big mistake however, is obviously jamming the turn. I appreciate at the time you obviously didn't think he had the king, but you must also try and put your opponent on a hand - what do you think he had?

Jamming here with only the draw (you are now only 29% to win the hand) is very aggressive, but you will always be called by KQ.

So lots of options... sorry for in depth analysis. I think in conclusion I would have either jammed pre flop, or tried to keep the pot small on flop, turn and river, in the hope the AJ was good.

Now i'm going to read the other comments and see how wrong I am haha!

thanks for the advice. I did think he may have the king but I was sure he wasnt having more than a single pair because he was playing very loose and was much bigger stack earlier that he had lost due to raising n re raising with hand such as Q 6 off etc. I had also previously showed winning hands when receiving folds on similar flush hands so personally I was only expecting to be called by 2 pair or better and if that were case id still have the chance of getting lucky with an A J or diamond on river but I didnt expect a single pair to call in that situation.
  • Options
    JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    I think it's quite naive to think that he wouldn't call with 'just top pair' here... I probably would have called in his spot too because a) it looks like you were bluffing b) top pair has a good chance of being the winning hand here and c) he has more than enough chips left even if he is behind.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    If you had AdTx your play here would be fine - you get better hands to fold (Jx, QQ, smaller pairs) and have outs if called. Problem is here you aren't really folding anything better. If I was him I probably would be folding KQ here w/o a diamond though - I think his call is pretty bad. But even so, your hand still plays better to x/c because it's a great bluff-catcher hand.