You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Unlucky or did I make a mistake?

Was this just a cooler? or is there something I could have done differently? Do I need to be raising more? Or is my bet sizing wrong? I was up against a very good player, I don't really have anybody to ask, so any advice would be appreciated and hopefully moving forward I can make the necessary adjustments, thanks in advance.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
McMackey23Small blind15.0015.004910.00
DONATE2MEBig blind30.0045.005675.00
Your hole cards
  • K
  • K
Sharki0Fold
FroozleFold
zeecoCall30.0075.004970.00
MattBatesRaise120.00195.005547.50
McMackey23Raise435.00630.004475.00
DONATE2MEFold
zeecoFold
MattBatesCall330.00960.005217.50
Flop
McMackey23Bet690.001650.003785.00
MattBatesCall690.002340.004527.50
Turn
McMackey23Bet1830.004170.001955.00
MattBatesCall1830.006000.002697.50
River
McMackey23All-in1955.007955.000.00
MattBatesCall1955.009910.00742.50
McMackey23Show
  • K
  • K
MattBatesShow
  • A
MattBatesWinStraight to the 59910.0010652.50

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited September 2018
    I'm defo not qualified to be answering this, but my thoughts are that when Matt calls your bet on the Turn, the alarm bells would be ringing, and I'd be thinking Matt possibly has a Set, so I would be checking the River to see what he does.
    Hopefully much better players than me will post what you should do, including Matt himself..... but he's so lucky he knows he's going to hit on the River ;)B)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    OR the Ace/Flush..I'm guessing Matt is thinking/hoping so many outs? For me calling the flop is Matt's great shout in this hand, once the turn is there so many options.

BUT If you'd have shoved post flop-which is what I normally do because I probably don't want to see an A appear on the turn/river-would Matt have called? ( Matt?? @MattBates )

I have a wide range when I play but with a shove from you I would have folded then

ps I'm less qualified than @MISTY4ME
  • Options
    McMackey23McMackey23 Member Posts: 10
    MISTY4ME said:

I'm defo not qualified to be answering this, but my thoughts are that when Matt calls your bet on the Turn, the alarm bells would be ringing, and I'd be thinking Matt possibly has a Set, so I would be checking the River to see what he does.
    Hopefully much better players than me will post what you should do, including Matt himself..... but he's so lucky he knows he's going to hit on the River ;)B)

Alarm bells were ringing, but with him being OTB I had him on a fairly wide range, considering he just flatted pre, so in my mind I was betting purely for value and was paying attention so SPR on river it was 1 or there abouts,once I bet the turn and have been called, I'm kinda wondering what my opponent's has me on, because when I look at the hand from his POV, I may have actually jammed the turn.(probably wrong) because if river comes blank, does my opponent just give up? I
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    You could have got away from this pre-flop or on the flop, but only (IMO) by playing it sub-optimally-you were ahead.
    Turn/river you are always going busto on that runout.

Unlucky-that is just a cooler or, as it is known on this site, you've been Bates'd....
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    madprof said:

OR the Ace/Flush..I'm guessing Matt is thinking/hoping so many outs? For me calling the flop is Matt's great shout in this hand, once the turn is there so many options.

BUT If you'd have shoved post flop-which is what I normally do because I probably don't want to see an A appear on the turn/river-would Matt have called? ( Matt?? @MattBates )

I have a wide range when I play but with a shove from you I would have folded then

ps I'm less qualified than @MISTY4ME

It would be madness to just shove this flop, missing out on so much value long term.

Hand looks fine I think and the runout just kinda seals your fate. There's no real draws on flop or turn so the double flat could raise an eyebrow, but the range beating you is pretty narrow that it's gonna be hard to get away from.

Esp vs that villain.
  • Options
    hh

I read the forum and see lots of excellent contributions which you and others post and I learn from so I bow to your wisdom re-value and agree, there's chips to be had..seriously I'm still a newbie to the game, still learning bet sizing, equity value but pocket KK/QQ seems not to work for me..maybe I'm scarred by the Ace seeming to appear on the turn/river...esp getting Bates'd- hence why I tend to shove early...10% of some chips seems better than 100% of none!

GL on the tables

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,235

The thing with hands like Aces or Kings is that we tend to either win a lot - double up - or go bust.

And if you think about it, what's the point of getting a really big hand & just winning the blinds? It's the sort of hand that can get us a 2XUp.

So no, don't chase your customer away pre-flop.

Despite the result, you WANTED Villain to call you down here. Most time he fails to get there & you do very well out of it.

For what it's worth, pre flop you were 67% v to win the hand.

That remained unchanged after the flop - you were still a 2/1 favourite. Those are great odds. And you were still 2/1 favourite after the turn. It was a great spot for you, you just got unlucky.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    Tikay10 said:

. Most time he fails to get there & you do very well out of it.

False news. This is Batsey.....more luck than Irishrose and solucky put together. ;)

The hand was just a cooler, unlucky.
  • Options
    Sorry TK

Have to disagree with you about how Lucky Batsey he is...he's luckier than THAT!!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481

Was this just a cooler? or is there something I could have done differently? Do I need to be raising more? Or is my bet sizing wrong? I was up against a very good player, I don't really have anybody to ask, so any advice would be appreciated and hopefully moving forward I can make the necessary adjustments, thanks in advance.

Froozle folded

• Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited September 2018
    And so did Sharki0
  • Options
    McMackey23McMackey23 Member Posts: 10
    Tikay10 said:

The thing with hands like Aces or Kings is that we tend to either win a lot - double up - or go bust.

And if you think about it, what's the point of getting a really big hand & just winning the blinds? It's the sort of hand that can get us a 2XUp.

So no, don't chase your customer away pre-flop.

Despite the result, you WANTED Villain to call you down here. Most time he fails to get there & you do very well out of it.

For what it's worth, pre flop you were 67% v to win the hand.

That remained unchanged after the flop - you were still a 2/1 favourite. Those are great odds. And you were still 2/1 favourite after the turn. It was a great spot for you, you just got unlucky.

Thanks, this answer seems to make sense and I will just bank it as a cooler, I will continue to play these spots the same way.I have been playing poker long enough now to understand variance and NOT cry about RNG. The contributions in this post were very helpful and I will be sure to ask more questions in future Thank you to everyone for your input