You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The most disliked poker hand

tiggerace7tiggerace7 Member Posts: 93
edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
I would like to start a Pocket Jacks Club.
Are there any takers?
It seems to not matter how a play these little fellers they knock me out of tournaments all the time.
I have tried the following
All in
Large raise  say 4 times the big blind
Slow play obviously so sure these little chaps will make a straight
I have now come to think the best for me is just to fold but somehow I can't seem to find that button.

TigXX

Comments

• P0kerJed1P0kerJed1 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2009
    Jack's are a nightmare - if you get a caller it's about 50%-50% there'll be an overcard on the flop.

I tend to raise pre-flop and if I get a caller and there's an overcard, I bin it.

My biggest nightmare starting hand is Big-Slick, AK. I've lost count of the number of tourney's I've busted out of with this.
    Either you raise, and everyone folds, or you get a call from a pocket pair and it holds up. They're a nightmare to play post-flop if you don't connect. I would say my ratio of wins/losses when I get all-in with A-K is about 25%/75%.

The worst one I remember is raising pre-flop and getting one caller. Flop comes down A-A-Q, I push, he calls and turns over Q-Q. Or the other time I pushed pre-flop, from early position, on a 4 handed table and got two callers, TWO!!
    They turned over A-A and K-K respectively; that's insane.

Although A-K is only ace-high, I find it harder to find the fold button with these cards than the hooks.
  • Blight1Blight1 Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2009
    luv jacks,so u gotta fold em post flop sometimes, so?, dont get the enigma tht they are a nightmare hand. in answer to the title of ur fred AJ. h8 it with a vengeance!
  • _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2009
    Played pocket jacks last night and they got me in trouble... was in the £20 deep stack 2nd chip leader i raised 3x from UTG, folded round to BB (chip leader) who re-raised, for some reason I went crazy and pushed... should of just laid them down or even called and worked from the flop... if over cards would of came just could of trashed them...
  • phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited July 2009
    Can I add AQ into the mix please? Much prefer JJ to AQ any day of the week.
  • kirstiikirstii Member Posts: 787
    edited July 2009
    i quite like pocket jacks, just treat them like pocket 8's or any other mid pocket pair and they don't get you in too much trouble
  • ALL-7-INALL-7-IN Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2009
    pocket jacks in mine aswell. In one day it cost me so much pushing on it, including during the open last saturday. I don't just fold them but I play them like a pair of 8's as opposed to kings. Slow play to the flop, if no higher ranking card comes on the flop and everyone checks then I'm putting a small bet in, if someone raises way over the top of me then in all likely hood i'm laying them down.
  • OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited July 2009
    Yes, they look better than they are, prob coz theyre paint.
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2009
    Pocket nines for me, seem to bust out of every tourney with them.
  • EyemanEyeman Member Posts: 1,039
    edited July 2009
    5 10 - suited or otherwise. It's not a bad hand to get, as it's an easy fold, but in the BB it always hits and loses. I just seem to get dealt this hand a disproportionately large number of times.
  • dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    AJ - I find it a really hard hand to play. Looks so good but even if it hit the flop its so hard to know where you are. I try and lay them down now even when its cheap as I tend to lose too much with them.
  • F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,399
    edited July 2009
    + 1 for hating jacks.

I mean I get them all in preflop for a 1k pot at 2.5/5 against 83s and still lose :P
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: The most disliked poker hand:
    AJ - I find it a really hard hand to play. Looks so good but even if it hit the flop its so hard to know where you are. I try and lay them down now even when its cheap as I tend to lose too much with them.
    Posted by dowzer
    Dislike it even more now - just got knocked out of the Open satellite though this time it was by AJ.
  • bullyfishbullyfish Member Posts: 215
    edited July 2009
    dont get me wrong   i know they can get into trouble   but at end of day they are 4th best starting hand     if short stacked push   if not see a flop       personally i do not like mid prs     say 5s to 10s    i think all 3 options are legit. pre flop with these     your thoughts?
  • BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited July 2009
    HERES ANOTHER ONE FOR THE JACK HATERS - I HAVE TRIED EVERY  WHICH WAY TO PLAY THEM - TROUBLE IS THE OPPONENT IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT SO YOU NEVER KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO - THIS WAS FIRST HAND IN DYM OUCH !
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    BANDICOOT Small blind   10.00 10.00 1990.00
    Chhas Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

heartski16 Fold        
    chipace Fold        
    PUPS Raise   40.00 70.00 1960.00
    redpaddy Call   40.00 110.00 1960.00
    BANDICOOT Raise   500.00 610.00 1490.00
    Chhas Fold        
    PUPS Call   470.00 1080.00 1490.00
    redpaddy Fold        
    Flop

• K

BANDICOOT Bet   500.00 1580.00 990.00
    PUPS Call   500.00 2080.00 990.00
    Turn

BANDICOOT Check        
    PUPS All-in   990.00 3070.00 0.00
    BANDICOOT All-in   990.00 4060.00 0.00
    River

• A

BANDICOOT Show
    • J
    • J

PUPS Show
    • A
    • J

PUPS Win Pair of Aces 4060.00   4060.00
     I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE JUST  SHOVED P/F OR AT LEAST NOT CHECKED THE TURN AND SHOVED INSTEAD BUT ONCE AGAIN THAT ACE HIT ON  THE RIVER , I KNOW HE HAD AJ BUT WHY CALL THE RAISE ? ACE HIGH WINS AGAIN
    edited July 2009
    It was a terrible call by him but why did you decide to check call the all in on the turn with an overcard on the board and a flushing board especially when he had called your raise on the flop?
  • BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: The most disliked poker hand:
    It was a terrible call by him but why did you decide to check call the all in on the turn with an overcard on the board and a flushing board especially when he had called your raise on the flop?
    Posted by dowzer
    HI DOWZER

YEP MISSGUIDED JUDGEMENT ON MY BEHALF ONE OVER CARD ON BOARD POSSIBLY BEING BEATEN BY QQ , ANYONE WITH A K? OR AA IN HAND BUT LOOKED AT IT THAT AT THE LOWER LEVEL DYM YOU GET CALLERS WITH 55 AND BELOW, JUST DIDNT BELIEVE HE WAS AHEAD AS HE THOUGHT LONG AND HARD BEFORE SHOVEING WHEN I CHECKED. 
  • _The_Boat__The_Boat_ Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2009

The hand i dont like more than any other hand is AQ i never know where i am with it to a raise do i call or re raise to an early position shove what do i do with this now so many times i call and the guy is holding AK or  POCKET PAIR.

As for the JJ i really like this hand if my stack is big then i will raise a little and see what the flop brings then play from there if im short stacked then i just push with it, The reason why i like this hand is you can get beat obviously but you also can get paid big time with this hand

simply because if you have JJ then one player probably has an ace and will call your raise but if an ace flops you can get away from it but if the flop comes A 4 J  then this is where you are going to et paid BIG  because most players cannot get away from top pair

• Fordy74Fordy74 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2009
    A T or K T for me. Absolutely hate them both.

Whenever I play either of these hands (and as a rule I don't unless the situation is right), I always seem to get a decent part of the flop and bust in some incredulous manner.

There's a new saying in our house..."no good can come from playing A T!"
  • JPDERRYJPDERRY Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2009
    KK on sky lost far more than won,lol cant remeber winning with kk on sky?
  • JPDERRYJPDERRY Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2009
    naw it would have to be 72 off suite