You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Amusing hand from Day 1C of WSOP main event

J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
edited July 2009 in Poker Chat

Blinds 150/300

UTG limps.  Couple of players in mid-position also call.  Then, BB squeeze-raises to 2,000.

UTG - with a great deal of excitement - 3-bets to nearly 10,000.

Action folds round to the BB - who goes into the tank.

At this point, UTG thinks everyone has folded, goes to rake in the pot and flips his hand over - showing Ad, As.

Dealer calls the floor manager - who announces that UTG's hand is still live and the decision rests with BB!

And this is where it gets ridiculous: BB can clearly see he's up against aces, but continues to dwell...for ages...and, after what seems like an eternity, finally makes the (somewhat curious) decision to call!

On a flop of 9c, Tc, Ts, BB checks.  UTG - with his aces proudly on show to the entire cardroom - bets 15,000.

BB goes into the tank - again!  He stacks his chips, prepares to shove all-in...but then bottles it...and mucks.

After raking in the pot - and apologising to the table for his mistake - UTG receives a one-orbit penalty for flipping his cards over.

So, what do we make of the BB's call? :-)

Comments

• dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    Im assuming on Day One with 30k starting chips and a 10k reraise that the BB wasn't huge stacked? That's the only reason I can think of why you might make the call but, even then, I would have mucked them every time!!
  • J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited July 2009

Good point - I should have clarified stack sizes!  Both players were clearly having a good day, because, by late afternoon, they were sitting on 50k+

• dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    Was this before or after this hand James? In reality if he was getting the odds to call then he should make the call even though he is behind but with only about 13k in the pot and for him to put another 10k in he is not getting the odds with anything other than AA so no idea what he was doing.

Maybe he wanted to become famous for a genuis call against AA at the WSOP? People do strange things!
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,810
    edited July 2009

I believe Mr Caller decided to Angle-Shoot, by Calling, then shoving all-in, when he can see his Oppo has Aces. The idea is that if Aces-Face-Up man sees that the Caller shoves, the Aces must be beat.

It's an old Angle-shooters trick, but it almost never works.

In this case, Mr Caller Bottled it. Jast as well, I think Aces man Calls anyway.

As an aside, I think the Penalty on Aces man was harsh. It was clearly a mistake & it cost him chips, almost certainly, so I see no reason to punish him further.

I spoke to the Caller later, & he told me he learned everything he knew by watching Orford & Compo. That figures.
  • RICHORFORDRICHORFORD Member Posts: 5,571
    edited July 2009
    I reckon he had 10-10, hit his quads on the flop, but was worried about the possibility of runner-runner AA. It's a reasonable fold, and I think we all would have done the same in that situation...
  • NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2009
    I think he had a potential flush/straight draw but in the end decided not to risk his tournament with it!

but a very strange situation!
  • razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited July 2009
    did the player have a white labradour james?? if not he needs one::
  • -v--v- Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2009
    I would guess that the caller had a big pocket pair and decided to gamble on hitting his set on the flop. Obviously he missed and knew he was beat so decided to have a little fun for a few seconds by pretending he had the 10