You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Flop nuts - would you be calling on river?

phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I was worried about getting paid at start but it all worked out in the end :)

?Small blind £0.25£0.25£115.14phil12ukBig blind £0.50£0.75£120.14aces_upAABig blind £0.50£1.25£49.50 Your hole cards79   ewd22Call £0.50£1.75£69.25Poker-GazFold    aces_upAACheck    jbpokerFold    ?Call £0.25£2.00£114.89phil12ukCheck    Flop  8610   ?Check    phil12ukCheck    ewd22Check    aces_upAACheck    Turn  9   ?Check    phil12ukCheck    ewd22Check    aces_upAACheck    River  K   ?Check    phil12ukBet £2.00£4.00£118.14ewd22Fold    aces_upAACall £2.00£6.00£47.50?Raise £10.00£16.00£104.89phil12ukAll-in £118.14£134.14£0.00aces_upAAFold    ?All-in £104.89£239.03£0.00phil12ukUnmatched bet £5.25£233.78£5.25?Show45   phil12ukShow79   phil12ukWinStraight Flush to the 10£231.98 £237.23

Comments

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited December 2009
    I think the villain is deserving of more than one ? tbh.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited December 2009
    Very  nice if you can get someone to go all in with  a 5 high flush.

To call an all in with it is ambitious to say the least.

He cant be that bad usually, he had managed to more than double his stack before you stole it away.

Early christmas pressie for Phil.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - get maximum :):
    I think the villain is deserving of more than one ? tbh.
    Posted by MereNovice
    I think u remarked in the chat box at the time Vince that you'd be mucking the nut flush facing the massive overbet all-in.  Was nice when that timebar was running down and then i saw the magical 'call' button had been clicked.
  • Options
    pr1nnyraidpr1nnyraid Member Posts: 495
    edited December 2009
    he prob thought you were a donkey that would shove Q J there, i dunno dreadful way to stack off 200+ BB deep..
  • Options
    Hogg321Hogg321 Member Posts: 260
    edited December 2009
    b-e-a-utiful flop

villain should've thrown it definetly, easiest £100 you'll earn for a while
  • Options
    anjie1970anjie1970 Member Posts: 410
    edited December 2009
    wow very very nice . easy money n1.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2009
    I think your all being a bit harsh on the villan here. He has flopped a flush, the odds of doing that are so slim, there is no paired board by the time you reach the river so the chances of Phil having a flush as well are even slimmer. I dont think this is an easy fold like you all are making out, im probs stacking off here too.

p.s There is 4 to a straight on the board so he probs put Phil on that, also could put phil on overplaying a set/2 pair.

Nice pot though Phil, can't remember the last str8 flush or Royal iv had!!
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited December 2009
    why for the love of god arent you betting on the flop or turn? its like you want to win the smallest pot possible and just so happened to cooler someone.
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - would you be calling on river?:
    why for the love of god arent you betting on the flop or turn? its like you want to win the smallest pot possible and just so happened to cooler someone.
    Posted by offshoot
    because if other players have missed then you dont get paid, when you flop the nuts like this the one thing you dont do is bet, he wants people to catch up and hopefully let someone hit full house or maybe another club on the river if someone has the ace of clubs, cant believe any poker player in the world would bet on a flop like that?
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - would you be calling on river? : because if other players have missed then you dont get paid, when you flop the nuts like this the one thing you dont do is bet, he wants people to catch up and hopefully let someone hit full house or maybe another club on the river if someone has the ace of clubs, cant believe any poker player in the world would bet on a flop like that?
    Posted by webby234
    youtube eli elezra quads
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Different people would play it different ways.

With the absolute stone cold nuts out of position, it is OK to bet out to try to build the pot so as to be able to make a decent sized value bet on the river. Obviously the way that it was played, it worked out perfectly for Phil but that wouldn't normally be the case - not many people are going to call an all-in on the river with that holding.
    Personally, I think that I would have bet-out, just called the inevitable raise and check called the turn, then gone all-in on the river (or possibly check raise all-in on the river if I had a very good read that my opponent would bet it).

People will call a small bet on a flop like that with all sorts of hands.
    Betting out also disguises Phil's hand.

P.S. Charles, I don't believe for one minute that you get stacked off for /> 200bb with the 5 high flush here.
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited December 2009
    You played this very poorly.

You're now only going to win a big pot vs a flush, which you would have stacked at any point in the hand.

You need to be worried about maximising your value against their entire range. Getting the most out of AcXx, AT, sets, 2 pair, and you really, really didn't do that.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - would you be calling on river? : youtube eli elezra quads
    Posted by scotty77
    just did that and he bet 6k into 29,000, always getting a call on that table with that board imo scotty...... phil you maximised your payout so on this hand you did everything perfect, nobody can say different because had you done something different you may have got zero pounds, just because we can see he had the flush now, at the time phil did not know this, so for his play on this hand he gets 10/10 from me
  • Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited December 2009
    I think your all being a bit harsh on the villan here. He has flopped a flush, the odds of doing that are so slim, there is no paired board by the time you reach the river so the chances of Phil having a flush as well are even slimmer. I dont think this is an easy fold like you all are making out, im probs stacking off here too. p.s There is 4 to a straight on the board so he probs put Phil on that, also could put phil on overplaying a set/2 pair. Nice pot though Phil, can't remember the last str8 flush or Royal iv had!!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    the only hand this guy is beating is a bluff
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - phil you maximised your payout so on this hand you did everything perfect, nobody can say different because had you done something different you may have got zero pounds, just because we can see he had the flush now, at the time phil did not know this, so for his play on this hand he gets 10/10 from me
    Posted by webby234
    Yet, you base your assessment on how he played the hand on the exact hand of the villain.

Massive logic clash.
  • Options
    harper04harper04 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    hey phil you did good we can all play the hand now we know what cards are involved i bet even phil helmouth would be chuffed at the out come nice payday have a nice xmas and a prosperous new year.
  • Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited December 2009
    hey phil you did good we can all play the hand now we know what cards are involved i bet even phil helmouth would be chuffed at the out come nice payday have a nice xmas and a prosperous new year.
    Posted by harper04
    i thought he played this hand terrible it was an excellent drawing board were sum1 holding a big club or a donk chasing a straight would come along for the ride, the only reason he got paid in this hand was because the vilian was an idiot
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - would you be calling on river? : Yet, you base your assessment on how he played the hand on the exact hand of the villain. Massive logic clash.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    !!!!!!! my point is if he bets out and other players have something like a2, kq, 44, then he is hoping one of them hits their full house, if he bets and they all fold then am sure you would be saying, "why bet on a board like that when you have the stone cold nuts" phil got his man and got his money and that is all that matters!!

stop being jealous
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - would you be calling on river? : !!!!!!! my point is if he bets out and other players have something like a2, kq, 44, then he is hoping one of them hits their full house, if he bets and they all fold then am sure you would be saying, "why bet on a board like that when you have the stone cold nuts" phil got his man and got his money and that is all that matters!! stop being jealous
    Posted by webby234
    It's a matter of opinion.
    In a multi-way pot, it is more than likely that someone will have a part of that board and so building the pot as early as possible would generally be optimal.
    As already stated people with holdings like Acx and Kcx will definitely come along for the ride.
    People with already made hands will almost certainly re-raise trying to protect their hand.
    People with an already made flush will definitely at least call and probably re-raise. If another club had come on the turn or river (or the board paired) Phil would NEVER have got as much money from this hand.
    The comments above were made as constructive criticism.

I didn't detect any jealously at all in the posts - just interesting thoughts on alternative ways to play this hand.

Anyway, Phil didn't post this thread in the Poker Strategy section. I suspect that he just posted it for its curiosity value but I'm sure that he is as interested as anyone else in other people's sensible comments on alternative ways to play the hand.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Flop nuts - would you be calling on river? : It's a matter of opinion. In a multi-way pot, it is more than likely that someone will have a part of that board and so building the pot as early as possible would generally be optimal. As already stated people with holdings like Acx and Kcx will definitely come along for the ride. People with already made hands will almost certainly re-raise trying to protect their hand. People with an already made flush will definitely at least call and probably re-raise. If another club had come on the turn or river (or the board paired) Phil would NEVER have got as much money from this hand. The comments above were made as constructive criticism. I didn't detect any jealously at all in the posts - just interesting thoughts on alternative ways to play this hand. Anyway, Phil didn't post this thread in the Poker Strategy section. I suspect that he just posted it for its curiosity value but I'm sure that he is as interested as anyone else in other people's sensible comments on alternative ways to play the hand.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Definitely! 

With a strong hand (eg flopped set) i would nearly always bet out. However, with flopping the absolute, stone cold nuts, Im gonna play it slower to hope I get 'caught up' a bit.  Yes, the value of keeping players in is lost and yes, it was very lucky to still get the call on the end.  However, i felt that i could check and let someone bet (a wrong assumption in this case) as 2 players behind me were VERY active and i felt sure they'd do the running for me.  That didnt happen and Im glad with the end result. 

I take all comments and appreciate what they're saying. At the end of the day - Offshoot, Scotty and Ladyfingers have given me many headaches when at the tables against them and I'm still trying to improve as much as anyone else is!

All comments greatly appreciated!