You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

bank roll management??

bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
after watching the shows on 865 and reading the forums i see that you shouldnt sit down with more than 5% of your bankroll?? i regulary watch the higher stakes tables here on sky and have noticed that some of you guys sit down with £1000 ++++

have you really got £20k in your bankroll????

are these players :-

1 - not listening to br rules??

2 - pros praying on us beginners (well me anyway)

3 - or like me, just playing for fun.. when i feel like a game i will deposit £11 and play two £5.50 tournies.. i see it as entertainment for the night (much cheaper than going out) if i win anything then great, i will not deposit next time i feel like a game?? maybe these high stakes players are playing for fun, but just got more money than me to depsoit????

either way i find it hard to believe that so many players are sitting there with £20k +++ in their sky account..

1 table i was wacthing the other day had over 10k on the table with 5 players..

Comments

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2009
    Some players will have that in their bankroll. There are a few players on here that are fulltime online poker players. As for "Praying on the beginners" I don't think anyone sitting at £2.50/£5 is a beginner.
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2009
    In Response to bank roll management??:
    after watching the shows on 865 and reading the forums i see that you shouldnt sit down with more than 5% of your bankroll?? i regulary watch the higher stakes tables here on sky and have noticed that some of you guys sit down with £1000 ++++ have you really got £20k in your bankroll???? are these players :- 1 - not listening to br rules?? 2 - pros praying on us beginners (well me anyway) 3 - or like me, just playing for fun.. when i feel like a game i will deposit £11 and play two £5.50 tournies.. i see it as entertainment for the night (much cheaper than going out) if i win anything then great, i will not deposit next time i feel like a game?? maybe these high stakes players are playing for fun, but just got more money than me to depsoit???? either way i find it hard to believe that so many players are sitting there with £20k +++ in their sky account.. 1 table i was wacthing the other day had over 10k on the table with 5 players..
    Posted by daz231023

I'm sure the people sat down at this level will have a lot more than 20 pull ups, more like 50-100. So throw any ideas of a 20k roll out the window and consider 50k.
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited December 2009
    20k will be the very minimum!

Unless some one is 'taking a shot'

But you'll notice the same players day in day out at this level.
  • Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: bank roll management??:
    In Response to bank roll management?? : I'm sure the people sat down at this level will have a lot more than 20 pull ups, more like 50-100. So throw any ideas of a 20k roll out the window and consider 50k.
    Posted by salazar
    ALL THESE PLAYER ARE PRO PLAYERS THEN I ASSUME, THATS A YEARS WAGE FOR ME!!! MY BR IS WHATEVER I CAN AFFORD AFTER THE BILLS... USUALLY £50 PER WEEK... I PLAY FOR FUN THO, AND WINNING IS A BONUS.. FREE ENTERTAINMENT IF I BREAK EVEN
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: bank roll management?? : ALL THESE PLAYER ARE PRO PLAYERS THEN I ASSUME, THATS A YEARS WAGE FOR ME!!! MY BR IS WHATEVER I CAN AFFORD AFTER THE BILLS... USUALLY £50 PER WEEK... I PLAY FOR FUN THO, AND WINNING IS A BONUS.. FREE ENTERTAINMENT IF I BREAK EVEN
    Posted by daz231023

I would presume they would be pro's yes or just wealthy men/women who need to play this high to make it interesting.
    I think your outlook on poker is great, it should be fun, although if I was you, I would probably save my £50's up for a couple of months and then say that's my roll, I'm going to play within it. 20 buy-ins would be enough because when you have a job you can always top it up. I think it's a case of what works best for you though.
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited December 2009
    Bankroll management is only important if you rely on poker as an income. If you are playing for fun the golden rule is dont play with what you cant afford to lose. I have a whale list of people who will come on to the cash tables and play until they lose a grand. There are some gamblers on other sites who have lost millions. Other night I was playing 500nl and there where two poor players 1 nitty player 2 very good players and me. The game only got going because of the two poor players. I got dealt aces and one of the poor players shipped 500 quid to me with second pair.  Without recreational players who are playing for fun and willing to spend money there is no poker site.
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited December 2009
    Bankroll management is only important if you rely on poker as an income. If you are playing for fun the golden rule is dont play with what you cant afford to lose. I have a whale list of people who will come on to the cash tables and play until they lose a grand. There are some gamblers on other sites who have lost millions. Other night I was playing 500nl and there where two poor players 1 nitty player 2 very good players and me. The game only got going because of the two poor players. I got dealt aces and one of the poor players shipped 500 quid to me with second pair.  Without recreational players who are playing for fun and willing to spend money there is no poker site.
    Posted by ajs4385
    its great to hear from high stake players like yourself ajs4385,

hope we hear more from you in forum.

your input is very interesting to us ,

lower stake players ty .
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2009
    i myself have a bankroll of £275,000

as proof of this

you will often see me

playing the 10p 20p cash tables