You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Any chess players out there?

bignoise10bignoise10 Member Posts: 567
edited March 2014 in The Rail
As post suggests.Have played the game quite a while and enjoy discussin plays with others.Would be interested  in chewin over some plays from various events or just talkin chess in general.
Cheers
Paul

Comments

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2014
    I used to play a lot of chess back in my schooldays, but none of my family or friends play, so it has gone by the wayside unfortunately. It's a shame because I really enjoyed it. I do think that in some ways, the strategy of poker is related to that of chess. Both games are for thinkers.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Totally the same situation with me m8.Tell folk these days that you enjoy chess and its like you've got 2 heads or owt!!Noone has the time to sit and play a proper game any more.Love the thought process of the game and these days tryin my luck at various puzzles on different sites.

posted at 12/10/2013 1:10 AM BST on SkyPoker.com
    First: 20/11/2012
    Last: 12/10/2013
    I used to play a lot of chess back in my schooldays, but none of my family or friends play, so it has gone by the wayside unfortunately. It's a shame because I really enjoyed it. I do think that in some ways, the strategy of poker is related to that of chess. Both games are for thinkers.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2014
    Not played in years 

Use to captain my school team at the age of 12 until i moved areas and new school . They didn,t have a chess club there so pretty much stopped playing.

Couldn,t agree with more with post above saying it can help with poker. In chess your always thinking so many moves in front which if you apply this to your poker game it will help

Don,t know anyone who plays chess nowadays but a gr8 game
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, it's a pity - there is a bit of a stigma attached to chess - it's still seen as a bit of a geek's game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If you like chess documentarys,check out "barbaric genius" about john healy.Pretty grim life story,but intriguing nonetheless.
  • Options
    a00rocka00rock Member Posts: 832
    edited February 2014
    I enjoy chess taught my kids to play now teaching my grand kids I have never been any good at it used to play V computer on pogo could beat it at 1st 2 levels then no chance lol. Have not played a serious game for decades lol but still enjoy the challenge with my 6 yr old grandson.
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited February 2014
    I used to play quite a lot before taking up poker. Played in the 4NCL and a few international tournaments back in my prime. Totally forgotten all the theory now though. In fact, Hitman RV and I had a game on here a long time back... :)

Edit: as for good chess documentaries, I really enjoyed 'Game Over' which was the story of the Kasparov v. Deep Blue match. You can find it on YouTube and is well worth watching.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Actually, here comes a pretty bizarre fact/brag about my time with chess. 

I helped co-ordinate an Alexander McQueen Paris fashion show opening. Used to work at a chess business in London and did some teaching. Someone came in asking if I could come up with a game with certain rules (the queen delivering checkmate, had to be played on a 6x6 board etc) and so this happened....

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Any chess players out there?:
    Actually, here comes a pretty bizarre fact/brag about my time with chess.  I helped co-ordinate an Alexander McQueen Paris fashion show opening. Used to work at a chess business in London and did some teaching. Someone came in asking if I could come up with a game with certain rules (the queen delivering checkmate, had to be played on a 6x6 board etc) and so this happened.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gY5DXrb48
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Cool,but pretty bizzare at the same time.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I used to play quite a lot before taking up poker. Played in the 4NCL and a few international tournaments back in my prime. Totally forgotten all the theory now though. In fact, Hitman RV and I had a game on here a long time back... :) Edit: as for good chess documentaries, I really enjoyed 'Game Over' which was the story of the Kasparov v. Deep Blue match. You can find it on YouTube and is well worth watching.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Dunno how much you've actually forgotten on theory,but a good read to brush up on skills imo would be capablancas best chess endings.For early game theory,I have modern defence by speelman.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think I still own both of those books. The 'library' (which is basically several cardboard boxes with the books in) stands at around 300 books I'd say. #geek
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Can never be too many chess books imo.Theres always something to offer the most basic or relatively experienced player.Love the sites that offer the finish in 3,4,5 moves.Havent played a full length game in yonks,so Im mostly playing via email with mates atm.Think I'll dig out a book and have a wee gander at it later.
  • Options
    jonjo75jonjo75 Member Posts: 999
    edited February 2014
    I used to play junior tourneys every weekend but stopped playing when i was a teenager when other things seemed  more fun .After a bad losing streak on poker I have started playing a lot more online chess on chess.com.
    Anyone fancy a game come and find me on there.
    I am jonjo on there also.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I used to play junior tourneys every weekend but stopped playing when i was a teenager when other things seemed  more fun .After a bad losing streak on poker I have started playing a lot more online chess on chess.com. Anyone fancy a game come and find me on there. I am jonjo on there also.
    Posted by jonjo75
    I shall deffo be lookin you up m8 in the near future.Be good to pit my wits against someone new.
  • Options
    staplegunstaplegun Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2014
    I also play on chess.com its free. Played on instantchess.com for 10 years but too expensive now. Great game but wouldn't play for money.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I also play on chess.com its free. Played on instantchess.com for 10 years but too expensive now. Great game but wouldn't play for money.
    Posted by staplegun
    Never heard of chess.com - will check it out. Thanks :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'll give some of you a game if you like - so long as it doesn't put you off your poker entirely! :)

I'm on chess.com as 'elblandie'.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I'll give some of you a game if you like - so long as it doesn't put you off your poker entirely! :) I'm on chess.com as 'elblandie'.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    We can arrange a game in the near future if poss.Im on chess .com under bignoise10,funnily enough!!You willl have to take it easy tho :))
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have registered as well as Slipwater (obviously!). God, not played for years!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Its amazing how much you will still actually know re theory.It never leaves you.Just needs very careful coaxing out from the deep dark recesses of your mind lol.