You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Jacks out of position facing a 4-bet

Sky_PokerSky_Poker Member Posts: 2,715
edited February 2014 in Strategy

Inspired by this post - here

You are holding JJ in the small blind and facing a bet from a 'solid regular' player UTG (who 3X's it), you re-raise pre only to find that they four-bet.

Knowing you will be out of position post flop how would you play it?

Comments

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2014
    I should fold, but...
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited February 2014
    I guess this depends by what stakes what you are playing at...

At the micro end of the spectrum this should be an insta-fold unless the 4-bet is sized such that you can justify set-mining (which is rarely the case).

I was thinking about this during my play last night, I can't remember the last time I saw a regular name 4-bet and didn't end up flipping over aces.

With that in mind, I'd suggest that at micro levels a case could be made for always folding to a 4-bet unless you have aces / the sizing allows you to set-mine and the opponent is such that they'll pay you off with their aces if you hit.

Obviously I continue to struggle to take that suggestion on board when I continue to 5-bet jam kings and continue to stack off to aces...
  • Options
    liamboi11liamboi11 Member Posts: 2,141
    edited February 2014
    I think they should be another option just to flat the 3x utg raise don`t like 3betting to fold to a 4bet should just never have 3bet in 1st place imo.

but yeah depends on your opponent if it`s a nitty reg I prefer a flat pre but if he/she is loose cannon I 3bet to get it in.
  • Options
    KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
    edited February 2014
    I don't like JJ OOP to an UTG raise period, so not sure I'm 3betting that often. As it is on 3bet vs 4bet then at low stakes it is a 100% fold every day of the week without reads. Vary rare you'll see regs on here at low stakes 4betting anything below QQ and maybe AK as well.