You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Boxing Day - Make Your play ONE

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

Morning all, & praise be that Xmas is over. I hope you all had a good one. Now, back to work.

Tonight at 8pm is a Live, 2 hour, "Master Cash", & as usual we have two questions for you.

Replies on this Thread please, & if you e-Mail them into the Show, we'll try & read as many out as we can. The e-addy is..... skyopen@bskyb.com

Handy Hint - If you want your e-Mail read out, try including "Sky-Ling is so posh she speaks like the Queen". She'll like that. Trust me.

So, first Question.

£0.50 - £1 NLH, 7 players at Table.

UTG (Villain) LAG has £198.50.

Hero (Button) has £162.00.

Pre-Flop.

Hero on Button, & has Jc-9s

Right, here we go.....

UTG pops it up to £3, 3 folds, then Hero backraises (like that word?) to £12, it's folded to UTG Villain who smoothes.

Floppy comes Js-5d-2c

UTG Bets £21. We CALL.

Turn (about £70 in the middle by now) 9d

So it's Js-5d-2c-9d

Now, UTG checks! Hero Bets £49 with his top two, & now UTG raises to £165.50 all-in. Oops.

Does Hero FOLD or CALL?

Vote now, please.

And more importantly, explain why, & even more importantly-er, comment on the play of the hand, & what you think Villain might hold.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Comments

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2009
    I'v gone for Call, simply because you describe the villain as a LAG. Against a solid player I fold here but not vs a serial raiser.

No straight possibilities out there or flushes they could either be over playing an overpair, or be willing to go to war with AJ. The raise UTG with AJ is perfectly possible with a LAG player. With 4 cards on the board and us matching 2 of them, the chances of him holding a set are very slim. Its a close your eyes and call moment for me but I think we are ahead.

Another thing to look at is whats our image? We are 3 betting to an UTG raise here with J,9 o/s. If we have done this a few times, then they wont be putting us on a hand either.
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2009

I didnt need to think much about this.

Its a  defo call, non dangerous board and our top 2 pair is strong here. I think the villain has AA or KK. If he has spiked a set (unlikley) then we are just unlucky.

Sadly i cant watch the show tonight, but i will catch the repeat.

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited December 2009
    Top two pair - I insta call.
    They'd take away my Hold 'Em licence if I folded here.
    If we're beaten it's VERY bad luck on that board.
    If he's got a small set, we've still got 4 outs!
    We've played the hand very saucily and there's no way that he can put us on the hand that we have.

Most LAGs at this level are "self aware", i.e. they know that we think that they are loose. Therefore, he could easily have an overpair here because he thinks that we might call him "light".
    Of course, if he has the overpair, he still has 8 outs on the river!

P.S. Villain MUST have something (or be slightly puddled). We're getting more than 3/1 on our money so he knows that we're not folding (unless we've got complete air).
  • Options
    Chompy_imoChompy_imo Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2009
    Roflcoptors. Anyone folding in this spot needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they're wearing a burgundy blazer. For me it's an insta fist pump jam with added pistol whipping and yee ha's.
    PS, got a text from the Queen yesterday saying one day she'd like to speak as well as Sky_Ling...
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Boxing Day - Make Your play ONE:
    Roflcoptors. Anyone folding in this spot needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they're wearing a burgundy blazer. For me it's an insta fist pump jam with added pistol whipping and yee ha's. PS, got a text from the Queen yesterday saying one day she'd like to speak as well as Sky_Ling...
    Posted by Chompy_imo
    Short-listed to be orated by Lord Orford himself. Sky-Ling will be thrilled.
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited December 2009
    Call.  we've played J9, got it heads up and now have top 2 pair. What more do we want from this hand? If we're against a set then so be it but against an aggressive player I'm not folding top 2 pair here to an all in on a relatively wet board.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Only ONE person has noted how Sky-Ling talks like wot the Queen does.

This is not good.....
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited December 2009
    First off, hero's thought process has gone all screwy, I hate the play through the streets.  Hero has raised in position to either (i) take the pot there or (ii) out play the villian through the later streets.  As soon as we hit the flop we are suddenly playing our cards and not the player by flatting IMO.  We should of decided by the flop if the LAG is genuine, has connected big with the flop or will try to bet us out of the hand.  I would rather raise to £60 on the flop than flatting and then betting £49 on the turn.

As it's been played I would call.  Top two is a monster against LAG's range of AJ+ in this spot.  If we have a tight image for the villian, they have us nowhere near this flop.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited December 2009
    I think it has all been said above, insta call
  • Options
    rats107rats107 Member Posts: 230
    edited December 2009
    insta call, think i'm putting villain on A J diamonds here so he has a redraw but we're defo in front. Is lisa the villain?
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2009
    Call, I'm not folding top 2 to this type of player, if he's got a set then so be it.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited December 2009

I call - but not so confidently, I'd be alot more confident if u tell me im playing against a TAG player whos raising under the gun, immediately cud put him on an accurate range, this is why I think playing loose-ISH is so much better than being a rock at a cash table.

Why would my opponent check the turn???

His actions do not fit his description, so immediately I think something is amiss here.

No.1, wud u take on a LAG opponent with J9? probably not....

No.2, why wud a LAG opponent check raise, when hes playing at a decent level. and should be aware of his image. - he shouldn't expect us to be bluffing into him....

If a very loose player is check raising, especially on the turn, he must be confident he has the best hand - Id still be confident with aces or kings in his position, OR - hes a very optimistic bluffer.

I call, as Ive played J9 n hit 2 pair, but I dnt think its as simple as it looks - LAG player open raising UTG his range is so wide.

If he told me he had pocket 2's in chat I still wud call, just dnt believe him - got outs as well.

I dnt play against too many LAG players, n if I do, I certainly don't play against em with J9! 

DOHH

• Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2009
    Hi Guys,
    Hope you all enjoyed the last couple of days.
    I voted to fold, why well everyone knows i'm rubbish at cash(or poker in general)lol, and im sure he got  the set.
    Yes I have been at the sherry again.
    Seriously, I would call and with my luck lose the whole lot, lol.

P.S I think Ling is probably the poshest bird i've ever talked to LOVELY.
    Col
  • Options
    Sky_LingSky_Ling Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Boxing Day - Make Your play ONE:
    Morning all, & praise be that Xmas is over. I hope you all had a good one. Now, back to work. Tonight at 8pm is a Live, 2 hour, "Master Cash", & as usual we have two questions for you. Replies on this Thread please, & if you e-Mail them into the Show, we'll try & read as many out as we can. The e-addy is..... skyopen@bskyb.com Handy Hint - If you want your e-Mail read out, try including "Sky-Ling is so posh she speaks like the Queen". She'll like that. Trust me. So, first Question. £0.50 - £1 NLH, 7 players at Table. UTG (Villain) LAG has £198.50. Hero (Button) has £162.00. Pre-Flop. Hero on Button, & has Jc-9s Right, here we go..... UTG pops it up to £3, 3 folds, then Hero backraises (like that word?) to £12, it's folded to UTG Villain who smoothes. Floppy comes Js-5d-2c UTG Bets £21. We CALL. Turn (about £70 in the middle by now) 9d So it's Js-5d-2c-9d Now, UTG checks! Hero Bets £49 with his top two, & now UTG raises to £165.50 all-in. Oops. Does Hero FOLD or CALL? Vote now, please. And more importantly, explain why, & even more importantly-er, comment on the play of the hand, & what you think Villain might hold. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't think so!

Sigh, i dont cluck, tweet, chirp, squawk or quack either ;-)
  • Options
    PokerPartyPokerParty Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2009

My first thought is why are we getting involved with Jc-9s especially when the villain raises from UTG.
    I know we're on the button but it's still a very loose call.
    At the end with the odds being offered you have to call with two pair but my instinct is he has 55's
    oh and by the way "Sky-Ling is so posh she speaks like the Queen". "She'll like that."
    TK I hope you're right.
    Happy New Year everyone
  • Options
    NorbitNorbit Member Posts: 490
    edited December 2009
    Really looks like a set of 9s for the villian..

After looking through it, it seems very possible to have 99 here. he raises utg n then flat calls the rr, which in my eyes does look like mid pp or somthing. Only one overcard on the flop, so he fires a bet hoping you had ak/aq and missed...doesnt like geting called. hits a miricale on turn n checks to show weakness n let you put in a decent chuck of you stack then he shoves...

Im still calling here after putting 50% of my stack in with top 2 v lag, as he could just be going crazy with aj/kj
  • Options
    Lisa_MarieLisa_Marie Member Posts: 759
    edited December 2009
    ENOUGH WITH THE AJ already!!!

(er so it that a YES or a NO or shoving after a raise and a reraise?)
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited December 2009
    I call figuring there is a good possibility villan has an overpair and the board missed them completely.
  • Options
    wooooshwoooosh Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2009
    shut me eyes and call
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited December 2009
    -_-

pre is horrible.

But how can we even think of folding?