You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Really unusual spot - what would YOU do?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,319
edited December 2021 in Strategy

I played a Live Omaha MTT last week.

Please forget that it was Omaha, as this situation could happen in any game, & was quite a difficult decision. It could not happen Online, ever, so those who mostly play Online might struggle with the etiquette & ethicacy on this one.

We are mid-Tourney, I am first to act on the flop, & there are FOUR players behind me still in the pot.

I have 10-J-Q-K, the flop is 8-9-2 rainbow. That's a cracking Omaha hand on this Flop, I have outs galore, & we have all options open to us. I'm happy to go broke here, actually, & play it aggro.

Whilst I am perusing how best to play this - initially favouring betting the Pot - the chap to my immediate left - an elderly Gent - lifts his cards up, almost to his face, to see them better.

The mind is a strange thing. I want NOT to look, not to see them, but I can't help it, they are there, just to my left, & I can see them clearly. I am seat 3, Chap is Seat 4, the other 3 players are all opposite us, so THEY can't see what I've seen. 

And my man has top set, 9-9-x-x in his hand......

What would you do now?  

Comments

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited February 2014
    I would check!!! :P

I don't really know. Usually when I've accidentally seen a players cards in the past it's when I'm not involved in the hand so I don't bother saying anything until after the hand when I would let them know they might want to be a bit more careful when looking at their cards.

I guess I'd just probably announce to the table that I've seen this chaps cards and see what they/the dealer says about the situation?
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014
    do the right thing & give yourself a one round penalty...

i'm guessing that didn't happen tho so i'm prob gonna check, let him bet & i don't mind if he picks up another caller or two...may as well go for the quadruple up.

after the hand i'd tell the guy that he needs to be more careful...unless he fills-up of course
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Really unusual spot - what would YOU do?:
    I would check!!! :P I don't really know. Usually when I've accidentally seen a players cards in the past it's when I'm not involved in the hand so I don't bother saying anything until after the hand when I would let them know they might want to be a bit more careful when looking at their cards. I guess I'd just probably announce to the table that I've seen this chaps cards and see what they/the dealer says about the situation?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Well you've grasped the whole problem immediately.

Awkward, or what?

If I proceed as originally planned, I'm doing so with information on someone else's hand that other players don't have.

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited February 2014

punch him?

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,808
    edited February 2014
    Honestly I would play the hand out having the extra information. It's not your fault and the key to this is you have to learn from your mistakes, it's the only way it sticks in your mind.

The good form IMO is telling the guy after the hand to be more careful. You don't have to tell them as it's up to you to protect your hand so informing them is a nice thing to do. After all, you could take advantage of this for much longer. 

It's happened to me, my first live game I exposed my hand and afterwards the guy told me. I thanked him for telling me, I knew it was my fault and had no qualms when he won the hand. I've never done it again. 
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    It's a tricky one also telling them after the hand....

Not sure how much someone will appreciate being stacked and then told 'oh by the way, I saw your cards in that hand where I just stacked you, be careful next time' lol
  • Options
    mewillowsmewillows Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2014
    Inform the dealer and let the floor make the decision. I think that's fairest of them all. 
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited February 2014

slightly different, across the table there was a well known sky player in an spt lifting the cards up to see them whenever it was his turn to play.  the person on his right could see his cards each time and always looked.  i told him at the break.  should I have acted differently?

• Options
    Sky_PokerSky_Poker Member Posts: 2,715
    edited February 2014

Here's a sub-question...

What would you predict that Tikay acually did do?
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited February 2014
    Here's a sub-question... What would you predict that Tikay acually did do?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Folded.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Honestly I would play the hand out having the extra information. It's not your fault and the key to this is you have to learn from your mistakes, it's the only way it sticks in your mind. The good form IMO is telling the guy after the hand to be more careful. You don't have to tell them as it's up to you to protect your hand so informing them is a nice thing to do. After all, you could take advantage of this for much longer.  It's happened to me, my first live game I exposed my hand and afterwards the guy told me. I thanked him for telling me, I knew it was my fault and had no qualms when he won the hand. I've never done it again. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    I'm not sure that is right & proper. We were NOT heads up in the hand.

I have seen the exact hand of Player B, but Players C & D have NOT. 

Is that fair, right & proper? It is not just Player B & myself, if it were, this would be easy.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    It's a tricky one also telling them after the hand.... Not sure how much someone will appreciate being stacked and then told 'oh by the way, I saw your cards in that hand where I just stacked you, be careful next time' lol
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yup, agreed.

VERY tricky if the bloke has just been busted & then you tell him - & the other 2 players - I knew what he had from the start.

• Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    edited February 2014
    I have never played live poker myself and I find this a tricky one. I do not think it is a bad thing to announce to everyone what has happened and let the local rules dictate what happens but there is also an argument that everyone is responsible for there own cards and the fact that he has given you an advantage is not your fault. In the end it will probably come down to what type of person you are. I think, judging by what i have seen of him, that Tikay probably speaks up and the hand is void.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have never played live poker myself and I find this a tricky one. I do not think it is a bad thing to announce to everyone what has happened and let the local rules dictate what happens but there is also an argument that everyone is responsible for there own cards and the fact that he has given you an advantage is not your fault. In the end it will probably come down to what type of person you are. I think, judging by what i have seen of him, that Tikay probably speaks up and the hand is void.
    Posted by pompeynic
    Heads up, Nic, I would agree entirely, & yes, we can word him after the hand to be more careful.

But there are 2 other players in the hand. We must consider them, too. We have information that they don't have.
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014
    reminds of a mickey wernick classic from back in the day;

blind on blind mickey raises 5-6 & when BB looks at his cards mickey accidentally sees that the guy has 8-9 as he holds them so high.

flop falls 2,10,J, easy game, mickey bets, guy calls with his up & down str8 draw,

turn is a K, mickey bets, guy calls,

the river is kind, a 3, mickey's loving life now & ships all-in with the confidence of a man who knows he ain't never gettin called,

the guy sighs, scratches his head & says 'oh go on then, let's see one more card'...not realising that the last card has already been dealt & calls.

jack-high wins the pot, hah!

pls pls pls tell me that's what happened
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited February 2014
    Alex Goulder saw my cards in a hand at the Grand Prix in September. He'd shipped a smallish stack in the cutoff, I was the button so next to act, looked down at 33 and decided to pass after a little thought (I wasn't playing much deeper and didn't fancy flipping for most of my stack). 

His shove got through, and he kindly said afterwards that he'd seen my cards as I didn't protect them properly. My bad. I returned his kindness by busting him an orbit or so later.

Nice guy, great guest the other night, hope to see more of him on Sky now he's 'of age'.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited February 2014
    Here's a sub-question... What would you predict that Tikay acually did do?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    I assumed he didn't see the cards as he was snoozing at the table again!
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2014
    I guess the correct thing to do would be to say that you have seen his hand, without saying what it is, and let the dealer/floor decide what to do

very tempting to let it play out though

what did you do??

I would guess by the fact that you brought it up, and the type of person you are, that you did whatever you thought was right at the time...

btw, lambert, if someone stacked me and told me afterwards that they saw my hand, I would only be annoyed at myself and probably still appreciate that they told me. I know I'm reponsible for hiding my cards.

• Options
    BorinLonerBorinLoner Member Posts: 3,863
    edited February 2014
    If we announce that we've seen one villain's hand to the table, it sets up a weird dynamic where essentially one of the hands at the table has two players playing it.

The villain whose hand we've seen is in a real pickle. If he continues in the hand against any action from us, he's essentially announcing he's delighted with his hand. If we fold to any action from that villain, we essentially announce for him that he's delighted with his hand. If we check to him, what's he supposed to do?

What I'm saying is, there's no way for us to do this particular villain a favour. We can't whisper to him that we've seen his hand or we're essentially colluding with him. We can't announce that we've seen his hand without setting up an incredibly weird dynamic which levels everyone at the table. We obviously don't do him any favours by not telling him, either, as that allows us to play perfectly against his hand.

What I'm saying is that the villain has already messed the hand up for himself and there is nothing we can do to help him out. We probably do less to hurt him by keeping it to ourselves than announcing it.

That probably seems a little Machiavellian and I quite agree with Lambert's point on telling him after the hand... Might be uncomfortable.

A lot of people seem to be thinking that the "right" thing to do is announce that you've seen his hand. I'm not sure it's that simple, though, and that's what Tikay seems to be suggesting. One player to a hand, after all.
  • Options
    staplegunstaplegun Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2014
    I guess the correct thing to do would be to say that you have seen his hand, without saying what it is, and let the dealer/floor decide what to do very tempting to let it play out though what did you do?? I would guess by the fact that you brought it up, and the type of person you are, that you did whatever you thought was right at the time... btw, lambert, if someone stacked me and told me afterwards that they saw my hand, I would only be annoyed at myself and probably still appreciate that they told me. I know I'm reponsible for hiding my cards.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Maybe tell him you "nearly" saw his cards and to be more careful. Then rinse him!