You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Six max Strategy

Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Thought I'd start a thread for the minority interest group that is the standard 6max format.

With the reward skewed to the winner taking 3.9xBI and 2nd 2.1xBI I find them

a) More interesting to play
b) More rewarding financially (on a per game basis)

...than the alternative DYM format.

Slower structure and you play to a finish meaning you get more value for your £1 and you get to play Heads Up making it I believe a better structure for learning tournament play.

If there is anyone out there willing to join a discussion - happy to share thoughts on strategy.

Comments

• Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited February 2014
    Id like to know how much more laggy the winnig players play in this format. Any time ive dabbled, its been in low stakes and the play is very loose and passive. Im happy to wait for hands and play big pots, and then go uber loose when the blinds are worth fighting for. But that feels too DYMish esp in the early levels when our skill edge should be greater.

Should I be looking to loosen up and take lots of small pots in the early levels, or just nit up and wait for good spots v the stations.

Is 'tight is right' a good strategy for early blind play?
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2014
    Long term dyms is more profitable per game. The sharkscope leaderboards prove this as pokerstars 50/50 approach never tops the average profits v dyms.

Ger

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Six max Strategy:
    Id like to know how much more laggy the winnig players play in this format. Any time ive dabbled, its been in low stakes and the play is very loose and passive. Im happy to wait for hands and play big pots, and then go uber loose when the blinds are worth fighting for. But that feels too DYMish esp in the early levels when our skill edge should be greater. Should I be looking to loosen up and take lots of small pots in the early levels, or just nit up and wait for good spots v the stations. Is 'tight is right' a good strategy for early blind play?
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    My early rounds play has evolved over time.

I started out by speculating a lot, e.g. calling in position with suited connectors in position trying to hit flops but probably playing too many hands and following the passive herd fit/fold types. The odds just aren't there to go looking for miracle flops and the reward isn't there in a STT structure either.

I then started to pretty much sit out the first few rounds, barring exceptional positions and very strong hands.

Lately I have loosened up again but in a more targeted way - generally in a 6 max at lower buy ins there are 2/3 poor exploitable players and so there is obviously value to be had in exploiting them. I now read those players quicker and better then I used to so have found myself making "hero" calls against loose bluffers and chipping away at the passive calling stations to build stacks in earlier rounds better than I used to. Results are improving with more cashes being 1st place than 2nd which makes a huge difference to profits.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Six max Strategy:
    Long term dyms is more profitable per game. The sharkscope leaderboards prove this as pokerstars 50/50 approach never tops the average profits v dyms. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    If we are talking about cash in absolute amounts then I would agree - but I think that is simply down to overall volume on dyms being higher.

I would expect (but don't know) that ROI %s are higher for the best 6max players than dymers?

Certainly my experience anyway.

• Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2014
    I dont know for certain but I imagine the traffic for 50/50s on pokerstars is very high. The problem now however is that you have to opt in to sharkscope to display your stats on pokerstars but pre opt in days the 50/50 never topped the sharkscope average profit tables.
  • Options
    BorinLonerBorinLoner Member Posts: 3,863
    edited February 2014
    You don't want to have a set in stone strategy for playing against "the crowd". You need to develop a strategy for beating the individuals in front of you.

Essentially, though, sitting tight until you develop an idea of what the villains are doing isn't a bad idea. That shouldn't take you more than the first level or two. After that, decide whether sitting out and waiting for a big hand to stack villains playing a wide range or getting in there and stealing blinds and c-betting lots against tight players is the way to go.

In the mid stages, when stacks hit around 20BB effective, you need to get your 3-bet shove range sorted out. Below about 12BB open-shove/call ranges are critical, much the same as DYM's. Unlike DYM's, you can't afford to fold down to fewer than 8BB or so as you have less fold equity and decent players will just be building their stacks against you. You can't ladder into the money as often, obviously, with only 1/3 of the field paid instead of 1/2.

Being short on the bubble every time will just lead you to lose money, whereas just making the bubble every time in DYM's will see you win money.

The call button is still your enemy, though. ICM and bubble factor will basically tell you that you need a call to be very +cEV to actually make it +EV. Fold equity remains huge.

They're similar to DYM's in lots of ways but there is a fair bit more to them on top of the skills needed to win in DYM's.

It's tough to say whether the actual edge is greater in SNG's because a lot of beginners start out playing DYM's, particularly on Sky, so there may be a wider base of weak players in DYM's. I dunno. However, if you took the same six players and had them play 1000 DYM's and 1000 "standard" SNG's, the best player would make more money in the SNG's than the DYM's.
  • Options
    jimb0d1jimb0d1 Member Posts: 660
    edited February 2014
    I sit tight until we are 4 handed when I will start to steal and 3 handed I will just assess the other 2 players and decide the best way forward. In most cases the play is quite shallow 3 handed and a big stack has limited value in push/fold poker where the majority of or decisions are made preflop. Im happy with the starting stack in 4 handed play and hopefully I will be able to steal the blinds with a tight image.

Busting out early with one pair or a missed draw is fairly criminal.
  • Options
    cowheadcowhead Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2014
    Generally sit tight early. Loosen up a little mid. Game and then really open up on bubble where a lot of players just want to make the money.

MY BUBBLE RULE. Big stack abuses both players. Mid stack: accept that you're going to get owned by the big stack unless they are total wimps then I'm owning them and SHort stack: stack dependant I'm gambling and preferably putting my chips in against mid stack who's less likely to take a shot and call off against you.