You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

should i be taking the risk and shipping it?

craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
edited December 2021 in Strategy
from what i've see from this villian so far he is certainly a loose one. i've seen him bet with total air on very dangerous boards he's called raises the size of 6BB with hands as bad as Q3o then jammed on Q high flops with just the pair.
the reason i only chose to limp in with this middle pair was i had to hit my set otherwise give up.
davy9liv11 Small blind   30.00 30.00 1245.00
JammyJan Big blind   60.00 90.00 2172.50
  Your hole cards

x Call   60.00 150.00 4147.50
craigcu12 Call   60.00 210.00 2875.00
itsuptoyou Fold        
davy9liv11 Fold        
JammyJan Check        
Flop

• A
  • Q

JammyJan Check        
x Check        
craigcu12 Check        
Turn

JammyJan Check        
x Check        
craigcu12 Bet   157.50 367.50 2717.50
JammyJan Fold        
x Call   157.50 525.00 3990.00
River

x Bet   300.00 825.00 3690.00
craigcu12 Raise   900.00 1725.00 1817.50
x Raise   1200.00 2925.00 2490.00
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    I'd suggest not limping along pre

Raise to 3-4x to iso the limper, it'll mean you can take it down pre which is fine, if he flats you have a better chance of taking it down with a cbet and the pot you're taking down will be bigger. It also avoids the spot where you limp and someone behind squeezes and you end up going into super passive mode of limp/call, hope to hit a set, no so c/f.

As played, definitely bet flop!

Looks a weirdly strong line from villian on river but we can literally only be scared of 45, problem is though you've let him limp pre and checked through the flop so he can have virtually ATC.

I'd probably get it in cos he prob has 22/33 as often as he has 45, maybe even an overvalued A3. Flatting isn't the worst thing in the world though.
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited February 2014
    Raise pre just so you can isolate the limper.  Even though you know he is still going to call the raise (calling6bbs with Q3o) at least we can have it whereby we play a pot against just him.  Bet the flop, we've hit, we know he calls so loose, so we want to start getting money in. 

As for the river, get it in, we're only scared of 45 but as Lmabert said, he's just as likely to show up with a set of 2s or 3s or some other weird 2 pair, although I would more than likely discount any Ace 2 pair due to him being the type to raise any Ax pf.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    the thing with making the raise preflop is if i were to miss the set and knowing that he is a very loose caller post flop i will be probably left to check fold because he is also an extremely aggressive type too and bluffs with total air.
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: should i be taking the risk and shipping it?:
    the thing with making the raise preflop is if i were to miss the set and knowing that he is a very loose caller post flop i will be probably left to check fold because he is also an extremely aggressive type too and bluffs with total air.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Far more often you will be ahead on the flop than he will.  If he's holding unpaired cards, then he's only 35% to hit that flop and if he's holding a smaller pp then you have him crushed.  I understand how you're looking at it, but you really should be wanting to play this player heads up and realise you're ahead far more than behind on the flop.

In regards to check/folding because he is extremely aggro and bluffs with total air, he has position on you so you can gladly call him down with no opportunity for him to raise you.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    FWIW, from what you've said in the OP he just seems like your standard 'sea life creature' that's really loose/passive then takes off with what he feels is the effective nuts. Remember loose/passive players still get aggro but ONLY when they feel sure they've got it, just for some of them 'IT' means TP, others it means 2pr, or a set or whatever.

These are the absolute perfect players you want to be playing imo because for value we can just bet, bet, bet and they will just call down far too much, and the second they raise we know we can just snap bin our hand unless we're very strong. So our MO v these people with value hands is raise their limps and bet/fold, bet/fold, bet/fold (and 77 is most definitely a value hand).

Don't be scared of being outdrawn, if he limp/calls K5o against your 77 and outflops you then that's unlucky but he's gonna outflop you FAR less often than he misses or hits his 5 and ends up committing more money to a pot he's gonna lose cos he's too loose.
  • Options
    Batkin88Batkin88 Member Posts: 1,682
    edited February 2014
    This is a call with your reads although you have let 45 get there, why if you limp pre to hit your set are you not charging aces and backdoors from the start (flop) to get the pot as big as possible?? I don't hate the limp along pre if played aggro after but you lost this hand on the flop IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    truthfully the reason i checked the flop was to see if that guy on the button does what i see being done every week in the micro MTT, the min bet bluff.

:edit: what i aim to start doing is seperating them who only min bet with good hands from those who min bet as bluffs too.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited February 2014
    I don't mind limping 22-66 here but I feel 77 is too strong to limp. As others have said you have to be betting this flop though -I'm sure I've said this before to you in another thread but you really need to completely forget about slow playing because it's so rare that it's the best option. Especially more when you have position and no-one after you to bet. The only time slow playing could work out here is if someone has 22-66 and hits their set OTT. But that's going to happen so rarely that it's not worth thinking about.

Definitely shipping river against this opponent as he can call with so many worse hands.

^^ Not sure what you are talking about in this post. You have position, because BTN folded? And how is someone doing a min-bet bluff a reason to check? Maybe if they do a overbet shove bluff then you can check but a min-bet bluff is only going to gain you a really small amount.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    my mistake their didn't notice i was in position
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: should i be taking the risk and shipping it?:
    FWIW, from what you've said in the OP he just seems like your standard 'sea life creature' that's really loose/passive then takes off with what he feels is the effective nuts. Remember loose/passive players still get aggro but ONLY when they feel sure they've got it, just for some of them 'IT' means TP, others it means 2pr, or a set or whatever. These are the absolute perfect players you want to be playing imo because for value we can just bet, bet, bet and they will just call down far too much, and the second they raise we know we can just snap bin our hand unless we're very strong. So our MO v these people with value hands is raise their limps and bet/fold, bet/fold, bet/fold (and 77 is most definitely a value hand). Don't be scared of being outdrawn, if he limp/calls K5o against your 77 and outflops you then that's unlucky but he's gonna outflop you FAR less often than he misses or hits his 5 and ends up committing more money to a pot he's gonna lose cos he's too loose.
    Posted by Lambert180
    do i just keep my bet size at about 1/2 pot at max on the flop and turn, aiming to get money/chips off weak hands when the board has no more than 1 high card (J Q K or A) and has very few draws, if any.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Bumped a bet sizing thread for you in Poker Chat
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    i took the decision to just call the raise that was made and he was holding an A3