You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Bet Sizing - The Fundamentals

2»

Comments

• Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Bet Sizing - The Fundamentals:
    nothing wrong with using the betting buttons....i hate the pretentious type who raise 2bb +5 i.e $205...
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    I don't mean preflop. Generally you can use the betting buttons preflop (although not recommended once you get past an initial raise).

If you're ONLY using 1/2 pot, 3/4 pot and full pot postflop then you are missing value in some way and like I said in OP, you're probably not thinking enough about why you bet a certain size. It just restricts you so much. There are scenarios where we wanna bet very small like 1/3 pot, if we just use the buttons we can't do that, or against someone who is very stationy so we wanna go bigger for value like 80-90% again we can't do that with betting buttons.

I do mean people who ONLY use them buttons like. If you click the 1/2 pot button to get you in the right ballpark and then adjust the amount manually that's fine.
  • mugsy78mugsy78 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2014
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the difference in bet sizing in MTT's and ring games.
  • K8LOUK8LOU Member Posts: 630
    edited February 2014
    Craig this is just very wrong, 20/30NL is probably the most reg infested games on the site (possibly 50NL), far more so than 4NL and a large amount of these regs are VERY tight but I still couldn't narrow them down to AA/KK just by 3betting. A few of them I could narrow down to AA/KK when they 4bet.... some will still have QQ/AK when 4betting, but a 4bet is very different from a 3bet. TinTin used to put sick volume in at 4NL and he was VERY 'solid'as far as I know, but even still you could never narrow him down to AA/KK with a 3bet. I very much doubt there are any players tight enough where it becomes a good idea to fold QQ/AK to a standard 3bet at 4NL. It may just be that you need to work on your postflop play and be more capable of folding on 'safe' boards. You give someone a range preflop obviously and it won't be as tight as AA/KK but you narrow it down through the streets and by the river it might only be hands that beat QQ/AK so you just gotta fold.
    Posted by Lambert180
    If we are folding ak/qq to a standard 3 bet at any level there is something wrong !
  • craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited February 2014
    with these hands then should it have been that I was right calling pre but post flop I should fold right away
    xSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.00
    hohoho662 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.07
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

mrc101 Fold     
    Oldkeeper1 Fold     
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £2.42
    xRaise  £0.62 £0.88 £3.38
    hohoho662 Fold     
    craigcu12 Call  £0.44 £1.32 £1.98
    Flop

xBet  £1.32 £2.64 £2.06
    craigcu12 All-in  £1.98 £4.62 £0.00
    xCall  £0.66 £5.28 £1.40
    xShow
    • K
    • K

craigcu12 Show
    • Q
    • Q
    and with this one is the chip stack the first sign that he has a good hand
    Alarthur50 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.98
    scottbaird Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.32
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

hohoho662 Fold     
    mrc101 Fold     
    xRaise  £0.16 £0.22 £9.41
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.40 £0.62 £3.02
    Alarthur50 Fold     
    scottbaird Fold     
    xAll-in  £9.41 £10.03 £0.00
    craigcu12 All-in  £3.02 £13.05 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £6.15 £6.90 £6.15
    xShow
    • K
    • K

craigcu12 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

Turn

River

also does the cash stack play any part in weather or not to call an all in?
  • cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    edited February 2014
    On the first one, I'm jamming over any flop bet with the QQ and the second it depends on notes if I would call.  When I was playing a bit of 2/4 cash there was one player who would open jam everytime they got AA.  The tell was so good I once folded KK against them when they jammed, someone else called and the AA was shown and I had a BIG smile on my face
    edited February 2014
    On the first one, I'm jamming over any flop bet with the QQ and the second it depends on notes if I would call.  When I was playing a bit of 2/4 cash there was one player who would open jam everytime they got AA.  The tell was so good I once folded KK against them when they jammed, someone else called and the AA was shown and I had a BIG smile on my face
    Posted by cenachav
    i had already myswelf posted 1 hand where I folded QQ and I described fully why.
    today I saw a person raise to just 8p when he had 99 but when he had AA he open raised to 28p and that was the very same villain I have with hand 1.
  • calcalfoldcalcalfold Member Posts: 978
    edited February 2014
    craig that is a std jam in that spot imo
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Agreed, standard jam.................

If you dont like money
  • mugsy78mugsy78 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2014
    Hand 1 looks fairly standard.

Hand 2 villains 4 betting range is going to be heavily weighted to AA/KK/AK, JJ will be the very bottom of his range here so QQ does not play well vs his entire range. At best you will flipping, so it's a fold for me. If you know villain is super spewy then maybe you can make this call but I'm asessing the hand in a vacum.
    edited February 2014
    today has shown the other side of the micro stakes as i had hands which were all in preflop when all they have is 66 and 1010 so weather or not they used these posts as a way to attempt them i don't know but what i do know is i should be much more quiet with how i play as then they will not know me as much.
    edited February 2014
    Hi Craig,

It looks like you're just struggling with understanding variance. I'd bet anything the fact they got it in with 66/TT recently has nothing to do with your posts, it's just variance. People have ranges to get it in, like if someone will get it in pre with any pair 22 - AA and AK, then us getting it in with KK is an amazing spot for us, if they happen to have had AA the last 2-3 times we've got it in then that is completely irrelevant as long as we know we got their range correct. Sometimes you just happen to walk into the top of people's range a lot but that doesn't mean we should stop getting it in when we're getting it in verrry good against his range.

Hand 1 - Readless completely standard to get it in on this flop.

Hand 2 - Readless at 4NL I probably call it off the first time here. Remember though, just cos you saw KK this time doesn't mean he ONLY does it with monsters, for all you know he'd have done the exact same thing with 77. So just keep an eye on him, even if you're not the one calling it off, keep an eye on if he gets it in pre V someone else and see what he turns up with.
  • BorinLonerBorinLoner Member Posts: 3,863
    edited February 2014
    Too long, didn't read. ;)

My idea of irony
  • SlykllistSlykllist Member Posts: 2,888
    edited February 2014
    Very surprised there is not a single mention of pot odds in the op?
    edited February 2014
    Very surprised there is not a single mention of pot odds in the op?
    Posted by Slykllist
    That's cos, as weird as it sounds, it's not really that important in terms of our bet sizing, imo at least.

Loads of people think about bet sizing as a means of 'charging people for draws' or not letting people 'draw for cheap' and so are really worried about if people have the odds to call but really you're always either trying to get the max amount they are willing to pay when you think you're ahead, or give yourself the best chance of them folding while doing it as cheaply as possible if you think you're behind (or they have good equity in the hand)

If you bet 1/2 pot so 50p into a £1 pot, they then have to call 50p to win £1.50 so they're getting 3:1 which means they'd need a 25% chance of catching up on the next card... that's VERY few hands

If you have an open ended straight flush draw so 9 flush outs, and 6 straight outs (cos 2 are flush cards) that's 15 outs and so about 30% chance of hitting on the next card so they're just about getting the price to call down.

My point being, unless someone has an insane amount of outs, even a 1/2pot bet is gonna make it a bad call from them in almost all cases (ignoring implied odds)..., BUT, we don't want them to make a bad call, we want them to make a realllly bad call :) 

edited February 2014
    Bump for the Rutter-meister or anyone else that missed it.
  • RyanC7RyanC7 Member Posts: 355
    edited February 2014
    way too long to even consider reading.
    edited February 2014
    way too long to even consider reading.
    Posted by RyanC7
    It's alright, your bet sizing is beyond fixing anyway ;)
  • RyanC7RyanC7 Member Posts: 355
    edited February 2014
    Haha, I know I know. 
    edited February 2014
    Bump for craigcu12. It would take me ages to give a good reply to your question about the 77 hand in the clinic and its all here really so thought I'd just bump it.

There is no one size fits all bet size that we can or should use, virtually every situation is different in some way
    edited November 2015
    Bumped for  GILLS69