You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bad pot odds, but is it a call or fold?

KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Strategy

I played this elsewhere as there was no people playng here at the silly o'clock I was playing, but thought I'd post it here for opinions as I debated it after the session.

I had played 34 hands and had 40 hands of info on all players involved, except for the guy in MP who raise, who I have around 340 hands on. SB is 21/18 with AF of 8, and UTG is real fish with 63/0 and AF of .6.

$0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $10.23

CO: $12.98

BTN: $21.30

SB: $4.36Hero (BB): $10.00UTG: $10.46SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has KhJh
UTG calls $0.10, MP raises to $0.40, fold, fold, SB calls $0.35, Hero calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.30Flop: ($1.60, 4 players) 7c 10h As

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checksTurn: ($1.60, 4 players) 3h

SB checks, Hero bets $0.90, UTG calls $0.90, fold, SB raises to $3.96 and is all-in, Hero??

My thoughts were that after it was checked round on the flop and SB being aggresive as **** hadn't lead out on the turn I thought I'd try and take it away and have plenty of outs if I got called by the UTG who is very loose calling station. When UTG calls I'm not too surprised, but caught out a bit when SB shoves leaving me odds of 2.6:1 on a draw thats only 3:1 to hit.

So my question is do I call? UTG has shown he will chase all sorts of draws, even gutshots, and call with most pairs and certainly TP even if with weak kicker. He has been lucky since I've been at table, but his time is limited. I felt if II called there was a fair chance he calls again giving me chance to stack him if I hit. So call or fold to the odds?

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited February 2014
    Check turn? Get to river cheaply, Fold now, I think

To make this a call, I think you all have to be sitting deeper.
    Stats on opponents are pretty meaningless over that sample IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Bad pot odds, but is it a call or fold?:
    Check turn? Get to river cheaply, Fold now, I think To make this a call, I think you all have to be sitting deeper. Stats on opponents are pretty meaningless over that sample IMO.
    Posted by Jac35
    Not sure I agree totally about stats. After 40 hands you'll be starting to get a handle on some of the play of your table and those at it. If not then something is wrong. Certainly at this level where wild moves are not the norm.

Certainly the guy playing 63% of his hands with 0% raising and playing a loose-passive/passive game is a fish in anyones book. Add in I've noted him calling station on hands he really sholdn't and getting lucky on turns and rivers on two occasions so far.

On the depth of stack, I don't disagree, but I'm not far off even money call on the shove itself, and there is a fair chance that the UTG player will call as well, giving some fair implied odds to teh call. Both of us will still have $5 left after the call as well. Hence why the question. If the UTG was on my right and made the call first it would be a no brainer call on the odds alone.

As to my bet on turn. I don't disagree, but my thoughts were that on the flop we all checked to the raiser and he checked as well. On the turn the guy that had been very aggresive post flop checked again and so I thought I might well take it down there. I thoght the raiser preflop had missed or was light due to him not cbetting. Which isn't a surprise given that cbetting a missed flop against 3 people would not be wise. I could easy rep the ace still given that checking to raiser is fairly standard. So for me I only felt I had to get this semi-bluff past the UTG to take it down here. As it turned out that was wrong, but if I check the turn and and river is a blank I have virtually no chance ot win the hand. So i thought it was worth a short, and it backfired. It happens. Least that was my thougths on it.
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited February 2014
    Prefer squeeze pre. MP is likely isolating the fish and UTG will call with a range you crush?

Meh might not be optimal at a soft 10nl game. Not sure.

Post flop - If you think UTG is gonna call a decent % of the time then a call is good.

fwiw agree with betting the turn. Sizing is good too.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Bad pot odds, but is it a call or fold?:
    Prefer squeeze pre. MP is likely isolating the fish and UTG will call with a range you crush?
    I did actually think about this, but decided to just call. This was mainly due to the fish UTG that I could see calling and then potenttially pricing in the MP and SB leaving me with a massive pot with a marginal hand that I'd be playing OOP to two of the three in the hand. Decided to just take a flop and look for a big hand. Without the UTG fish I'd be far more likely to use a squeeze play here.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Results for anyone that cares. I decided UTG would call a fair amount of times based on his short history so far, and so I called. He did indeed call and the river was the queen of hearts. This turned out to be the ideal card as when I shoved the river he called and was holding KJos and had the straight. So like I said he was calling on a gutshot draw and I knew his time was limited, and had to take the shot to take his stack. Or i felt I did. :)