You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

More Value Possible?

peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCrushaSmall blind 25.0025.001868.75peter27Big blind 50.0075.002245.00 Your hole cards6A   goodwin406Fold    JimRiddle7Fold    mazz54Fold    danny108Call 50.00125.001605.00CrushaCall 25.00150.001843.75peter27Check    Flop  K5A   CrushaCheck    peter27Check    danny108Check    Turn  J   CrushaBet 50.00200.001793.75peter27Call 50.00250.002195.00danny108Fold    River  2   CrushaCheck    peter27Check    CrushaShow99   peter27Show6A   peter27Win
This hand is from a £2 DYM. No reads that I can remember.

The reason I did not raise with top pair was that recently I have read (from many different sources) that you should be careful not to over-value hands when in the BB position .. in fact, one source specifically said do not over-bet with top pair and a low kicker. However I can not help but feel I could have got more value here?

Comments

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited March 2014
    Played fine until the river. I think the way hand goes he probably has some weak pair that wants to get to river cheaply. After checked too on river we can definately put out a small value bet. If we get raised then we can fold as a c/r bluff isn't very likely here. 

No need to raise and inflate the pot with a vulnerable hand, OOP and one you wasn't looking to play either. 

It's not about over valueing hands in the blinds it's just that most of the time you are not looking to play the hand and are always guessing with no lead in the hand. What I would say is always remember how much you have invested in the pot first and how action unfolds. If you flop top pair and get a bet and call then no shame in simply folding before you put in more chips. Same with a draw, unless it's a nut draw and your getting a good price. 
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited March 2014
    In a limped pot I'd be betting flop + turn, then checking the river. You can control the bet sizing if you take the betting lead in this spot which will allow you to get more value.

As played you definitely missed a bet on the river. Anything around 135 is good.
  • Options
    KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
    edited March 2014
    Not sure you get much more value out of this hand nowever it is played, as with 3 overcards to his 99 he likely isn't going to commit to many chips at this level, and certainly not in a DYM I'd think.

You could have done it by betting small ball on flop and turn, or as played turn and river. Certainly as played I'd have put out a small bet on river, but again really not sure how much he will call with three over-cards out there.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2014
    My standard play on this runout might be to bet flop + river or turn + river. Our hand can get 2 streets at most but if we bet flop + turn we're probably more likely to get rid of hands that we beat since there's always the implication of another bet. (eg. suppose he has KT he might call a flop bet, but then fold the turn. Whereas if we check turn he might think we're just trying to steal the pot OTR and call since it's the last bet he has to face)

As played I guess just calling turn is OK. His sizing is small and weak but I'm happy to just call and put in a slightly larger river value bet if we get checked to (which is what happens) - Would probably bet 200 OTR and fold to a raise.
  • Options
    peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
    edited March 2014
    Thank you very much, helpful feedback :-)