You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

dym bubble

THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
edited December 2021 in Strategy
right people, im an mtt player, used to play dyms back in the day but dont bother these days, i find them boring and im not even a winner in them either, down over 4 figures acutally on them, decided to go for priority this month tho but as i only make around 5-6k points from mtts ive decided to slot a few dyms in to make up to 10k, any way just wondered about this hand, obv im priced in to call so if it was an mtt id have to make it but in a dym im not sure as my hands trash even tho most likely live cards and were all short in relation to blind level. call or fold guys?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
forest2029Small blind 300.00300.003175.00
THEROCK573Big blind 600.00900.002675.00
 Your hole cards

madpeteFold    
DrewMcRobbAll-in 1185.002085.000.00
forest2029Fold    
THEROCK573Call 585.002670.002090.00
THEROCK573Show

DrewMcRobbShow
  • A

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    edited March 2014
    Fold for me
    Don't want to be doubling up the shorty.
    Chances are someone will be out before BB comes round to you again.
  • Options
    profman15profman15 Member Posts: 1,808
    edited March 2014
    I understand your predicament but this isn't the time or hand as
    1. You and he are fighting the bubble
    2. You have the sb topay next and will need some fold equity against bigger stacks. Pay the sb and if other shortie does not enter pot then an ai will probably be allowed through by bigger stacks who want you and he to fight it out.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ok guys thanks, just a paragraph from johnconners dym thread here though says its a call. different table position but same concept. he wrote as follows vv

Suppose there are 4 players left. The 2 players first to act have 4,500 chips each. You are in the big blind and you and the small blind both have 1,500 before posting. The big blind is 400. The small blind shoves on you. To me this is a ‘them or me’ spot and I recommend calling with any two cards (don’t worry about the impending abuse when you win the hand).
  • Options
    stuarty117stuarty117 Member Posts: 1,395
    edited March 2014
    Hi Rock

IMO you were not in a me or them spot just yet.

If you had of folded you still had 2670 chips left, other player would have took the blinds and still would have been under 2000.

If he shoves the next time then this is closer to a you or me spot.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: dym bubble:
    Hi Rock IMO you were not in a me or them spot just yet. If you had of folded you still had 2670 chips left, other player would have took the blinds and still would have been under 2000. If he shoves the next time then this is closer to a you or me spot.
    Posted by stuarty117
    hi mate, i have a shorter stack than what john connors example is tho in relation to the blinds, im not a dym player so all advice is welcome though and will listen to all corners.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited March 2014
    Hi Rock IMO you were not in a me or them spot just yet. If you had of folded you still had 2670 chips left, other player would have took the blinds and still would have been under 2000. If he shoves the next time then this is closer to a you or me spot.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Understand what you're saying Stuarty.
    One thing that I look at though. If opponent is decent, then it's not a case of " if" he shoves next time, it's "when"
    We're actually unlikely to be a huge dog in this hand. 
    Call this time and a decent % of the time we cash there and then. Lose and we're still in the game.
    Fold this time and next time we won't still be in the game if we lose.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: dym bubble : Understand what you're saying Stuarty. One thing that I look at though. If opponent is decent, then it's not a case of " if" he shoves next time, it's "when" We're actually unlikely to be a huge dog in this hand.  Call this time and a decent % of the time we cash there and then. Lose and we're still in the game. Fold this time and next time we won't still be in the game if we lose.
    Posted by Jac35
    so what side of the fence u on then jac, call or fold?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Lol
    Yeah, looked like I may be getting some splinters there!

I hate it, but call
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I perhaps am too tight sometimes but with 35 I would fold. We can hopefully get a better spot. But then again blinds are that high we may not, as we can end it now by calling as Jac said.

I like these discussions about DYMs as you are always learning.

I know rock you said you find them boring but they can be quite fun, especially near the end.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I perhaps am too tight sometimes but with 35 I would fold. We can hopefully get a better spot. But then again blinds are that high we may not, as we can end it now by calling as Jac said. I like these discussions about DYMs as you are always learning. I know rock you said you find them boring but they can be quite fun, especially near the end.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Yeah, obv 3 5 isn't really the hand we want to be calling with. Trouble is at this stage we can't be waiting for better spots. Basically, we are going to have to call next time with any 2 and so we can do it now and still be in the game.

Agree about the Dyms. My trouble is, I'm hopeless at trying to explain myself. Played over 8000 now and as you say, we are always learning.
    just for fun, I did a quick calculation.

I assume everyone would snap call with KQ here?
    Only 6% better chance of winning the hand than 53!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I just got called a fish callin this. Player had went allin about 5 or 6 times
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxxx Small blind  150.00 150.00 3237.50
    stuarty117 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1135.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

uuuuFold     
    ttttt Fold     
    xxxxAll-in  3237.50 3687.50 0.00
    stuarty117 All-in  1135.00 4822.50 0.00
    xxxx Unmatched bet  1952.50 2870.00 1952.50
    xxxx Show
    • K
    • A

stuarty117 Show
    • Q

Flop

• A

Turn

River

stuarty117 Win Straight to the 9 2870.00
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2014
    I would call. "them or me" definitely applies here and pretty sure an ICM would show this to be a call. 34% of the time or so we win then and there. The rest of the time we still have 2k chips and probably still cash as much as the other short stack. If we fold now tho then we might cash slightly more often than the short stack but not by much.

@Jac: KQ has way more equity than 35!! If BTN is shoving 80% then KQ has 60% equity and 35 only 35%. 
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I would call. "them or me" definitely applies here and pretty sure an ICM would show this to be a call. 34% of the time or so we win then and there. The rest of the time we still have 2k chips and probably still cash as much as the other short stack. If we fold now tho then we might cash slightly more often than the short stack but not by much. @Jac: KQ has way more equity than 35!! If BTN is shoving 80% then KQ has 60% equity and 35 only 35%. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Just used poker calculator against that specific holding
  • Options
    jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited March 2014
    I'm really not sure if i call here or not. I think how the table's playing in general at this stage needs to be taken into account. Especially the person sitting to your left. If its a very aggressive table with people likely to call shoves or if it's really passive. 

option 1 fold - you've got a 2675 to shove next hand (or 2375 if you dont get a chance to shove from sb).

option 2 call - you lose so you've got 2085 to shove from small blind.

If the person to your left is very unlikely to call your shove of 2085 then I go for option 2 and call. If i think he's a little looser i think I fold to have the bigger shoving stack.

From a probability point of view as well, say you call this time and lose and then shove the next hand and get called - you'll have two bites at the cherry to win I suppose. Say you're a 30% underdog both times (just for an example) the chance you lose both is 70% x 70% i.e. 49%. So 51% of the time you either cash when you call the first time or double to 4k chips when you shove the next time and get called. But your % of cashing must be more than this because your shove on the next hand doesnt get called every time. Links nicely to my first point the more likely the shove in the following hand gets through the more likely I am to call the small stack shove.

Not sure that makes sense but that's the best I can do lol 

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I'm really not sure if i call here or not. I think how the table's playing in general at this stage needs to be taken into account. Especially the person sitting to your left. If its a very aggressive table with people likely to call shoves or if it's really passive.  option 1 fold - you've got a 2675 to shove next hand (or 2375 if you dont get a chance to shove from sb). option 2 call - you lose so you've got 2085 to shove from small blind. If the person to your left is very unlikely to call your shove of 2085 then I go for option 2 and call. If i think he's a little looser i think I fold to have the bigger shoving stack. From a probability point of view as well, say you call this time and lose and then shove the next hand and get called - you'll have two bites at the cherry to win I suppose. Say you're a 30% underdog both times (just for an example) the chance you lose both is 70% x 70% i.e. 49%. So 51% of the time you either cash when you call the first time or double to 4k chips when you shove the next time and get called. But your % of cashing must be more than this because your shove on the next hand doesnt get called every time. Links nicely to my first point the more likely the shove in the following hand gets through the more likely I am to call the small stack shove. Not sure that makes sense but that's the best I can do lol 
    Posted by jdsallstar

very passive the guy to my left.

• Options
    bev60bev60 Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2014
    I find when I play a lot of DYMs they become like one long game rather than series of short games. Option 2 for me I think, just.
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited March 2014
    We have to call here all day long Rock so well played.  Pot odds we only need to be good 22.3% of the time although that does not really apply,  so let's look at the important factor and that's ICM.

So before we make our decision our ICM equity is 26.4%.

Call and win = cash
    call and lose = 19.5% ICM Equity a drop of 6.9% which includes posting of the sb next hand
    fold = 23.3% ICM Equity a drop of 3.1%(as we have to post the sb next hand)

We still have enough fold equity to shove if it folds around to us in the next hand, if we were to call with the 35o and lose.  So in summary our equity drops by very little if we call and lose, whilst if we call and win we cash.