You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Shocking DYM play...

pinkmangopinkmango Member Posts: 6
edited December 2021 in Strategy
On the bubble. Big blind is the short stack.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxx Small blind  400.00 400.00 3950.00
centurian Big blind  480.00 880.00 0.00
  Your hole cards

pinkmango Call  800.00 1680.00 3110.00
yyy Call  800.00 2480.00 2460.00
xxx Call  400.00 2880.00 3550.00
Flop

xxx Check     
pinkmango Check     
yyy Check     
Turn

xxx Check     
pinkmango Check     
yyy Check     
River

xxx Check     
pinkmango Check     
yyy All-in  2460.00 5340.00 0.00
xxx Call  2460.00 7800.00 1090.00
pinkmango Fold     
xxx Show
  • A

centurian Show
  • J

yyy Show

xxx Win Straight to the 8 3900.00  4990.00
yyy Win Straight to the 8 3900.00  3900.00
I don't know which of the two players played this hand worse but this was the cherry on the cake after 15 to 20 minutes of similarly bad bubble play. I could go into more detail but I'm sure you don't need me to do that to imagine what else went on.

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited March 2014
    Normally best to take the players names out mate
  • Options
    pinkmangopinkmango Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Shocking DYM play...:
    Normally best to take the players names out mate
    Posted by Jac35

Sorry. I've changed the names of the villains to protect their secret identities now.

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2014
    I'm honestly confused where you think the bad play is? Limping from both of you might be bad. Sure, more chance that the BB gets knocked out but if he does somehow win the hand he now has a 'reasonable' stack as opposed to 1BB.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    edited March 2014
    I'm honestly confused where you think the bad play is? Limping from both of you might be bad. Sure, more chance that the BB gets knocked out but if he does somehow win the hand he now has a 'reasonable' stack as opposed to 1BB.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    The bet and call on the river (withoiut the absolute nuts).
    Surely checking all the way here gives the possibility of any one of the three people winning the hand and therefore all cashing.

• Options
    jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited March 2014
    Just been thinking about this one and maybe it's not that bad afterall on ther river although it's not something I'd do very often. Maybe if I'm very short stacked myself. But its generally just easier just to check it down. I've seen players doing this on complete bluffs though which is very frustrating.

In this hand the straight represents the 2nd nuts so only a hand of 69 beats player YYY.

If centurian has 6 9 he quadruples up to 1.6k  -  if yyy's beating the other two (very likely) but they still call he will be up over 5k chips which should guarantee the win for him. If centurian has 69 he's winning regardless but if YYY can manage to get 1 of the other players to call when behind or even fold a 6 themselves then he doubles up or lifts the side pot. So win win. 

If one of the other two have 69 they call and yyy wins anyway because he outchips centurian.

The only way this blows up in his face is if Centurian and 1 of the other two hold  6 9.

Limping the 5 6 in the first place is definitely a bad idea though.
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited March 2014
    I would say play from both did not really matter given the fact that they both had the straight (not nut straight I know) so would virtually always be ahead of the bb so even if one of them woke up with the nut straight they would still cash as they had more chips than the BB.  It is a bit pointless though and gives a slight risk which could be avoided, but is not really going to have an affect. 

What I would question though and please do not take this the wrong way but merely giving advice, why did you feel the need to limp 800 from your 3.9k stack with 8To?  You're going to be OOP for the rest of the hand and what do you do if someone shoves over the top? or let's say you get to the river with top pair and they jam on you?  You really should not be getting involved at all here.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Shocking DYM play... : The bet and call on the river (withoiut the absolute nuts). Surely checking all the way here gives the possibility of any one of the three people winning the hand and therefore all cashing.
    Posted by dragon1964
    In Response to Re: Shocking DYM play...:
    In Response to Re: Shocking DYM play... : The bet and call on the river (withoiut the absolute nuts). Surely checking all the way here gives the possibility of any one of the three people winning the hand and therefore all cashing.
    Posted by dragon1964
    as JD said this is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. When yyy shoves the river he can only lose if both centurian and xxx happen to show up with 69. Given that xxx limped this reduces greatly the likelyhood of him having 69 - and the probability that both of them have 69 must be pretty small. At least less than 0.001%. When xxx calls the same thing applies to him - he can only lose if both yyy and centurian show up with 69. And even then he's still in the tournament.

In short, the error of the play by opponents here is miniscule in ev. However, limping 8T as you did here is of a much bigger mistake. Sure, most of the time centurian gets knocked out when you all decide to limp. But when he does happen to survive and win you are now most likely with 800 less chips - fold equity greatly reduced from your stack size and hence your chance of cashing goes down.

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Shocking DYM play... : In Response to  Re: Shocking DYM play... : as JD said this is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. When yyy shoves the river he can only lose if both centurian and xxx happen to show up with 69. Given that xxx limped this reduces greatly the likelyhood of him having 69 - and the probability that both of them have 69 must be pretty small. At least less than 0.001%. When xxx calls the same thing applies to him - he can only lose if both yyy and centurian show up with 69. And even then he's still in the tournament. In short, the error of the play by opponents here is miniscule in ev. However, limping 8T as you did here is of a much bigger mistake. Sure, most of the time centurian gets knocked out when you all decide to limp. But when he does happen to survive and win you are now most likely with 800 less chips - fold equity greatly reduced from your stack size and hence your chance of cashing goes down.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I see your point but not sure I could be bothered or able to work that out in the time allowed especially if multi tabling.  Just natural to me to check it down and concentrate on other tables.

100% agree no need to get involved with 8T though.