You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 Cash Game Questions Q & A

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,120
edited March 2014 in Strategy

In a 2p-4p PLO8 cash game last night, this question was asked.

Should I have called pre-flop with K-K-7-7?

Views, please.

My view? 

No. 

This is neither fish nor fowl. Bin it.

Even if we hit our set, so what? Sets are not forced to win in Omaha, unlike HE, where we rarely pass a set. We want straight, flushes, boats. We have no Low at all, either. It's poo.  
We want, most of all, cards that work together, &/or two-way hands.

Break our 4 cards into 2 card hands - we need 3 or 4 playable "two card" hands to proceed, really. We have 6 x 2 card hands contained within K-K-7-7, as follows.

K-K

7-7

K-7

K-7

K-7

K-7

The KK & 7-7 are no good at all unless we hit a set, & even then, they are not necessarily enough.

Bin it.   

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,120
    edited March 2014

A further question arose. It was (something like)......

I had A-J-10-3. Should I have called pre-flop?

My view?

No.

We should have RAISED pre-flop, unless there had been really heavy action in front of us.

A-J-10-3 is a pretty big hand in PLO8. Not tops, but good. It has two way action, & will rarely be dominated both ends. It is, sort of, the equivelant of A-Q in Hold 'Em.

Raise pre, imo.

If we miss the flop, but it comes two high cards & is checked to us, bet again. They'll mostly fold. Almost always, when we raise pre & get called, the callers are trying to hit a low. Just blast them out of the water on any flop containing 2 high cards.  
  • Options
    Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited March 2014
    The worst thing is. I really knew I shouldnt be. But still went anyway. I left both tables tables with a profit so happy with that and seemed to do ok most of the time.  Once or twice I got lucky on the turn or river but enjoyed the game.

as for the kk 77 I think I was behind to AA. The board didnt have much on it but just got away anyway knowing I really shouldnt have been involved anyway. But thanks for taking the time too post tikay.

I thought I had u last night with the nut flush. And a low hand. But your low was better. U seem too always win or chop when u get it in pre. So if I sit again I will be watching u closely. But soon enough the padawan can become master :)
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2014
    I have AAKJ on a J97r flop, c-bet and get raised. What should I do? *

Fold. We may or may not currently have the best high hand. If we don't have the best high hand we could be drawing very thin indeed and we have no chance whatsoever for the low. If we do have the best high hand then villain likely has a strong draw for the high hand. 

* This may or may not be a hand that happened last night between me and tikay :P
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: PLO8 Cash Game Questions Q & A:
    A further question arose. It was (something like)...... I had A-J-10-3. Should I have called pre-flop?   My view? No. We should have RAISED pre-flop, unless there had been really heavy action in front of us.   A-J-10-3 is a pretty big hand in PLO8. Not tops, but good. It has two way action, & will rarely be dominated both ends. It is, sort of, the equivelant of A-Q in Hold 'Em.   Raise pre, imo. If we miss the flop, but it comes two high cards & is checked to us, bet again. They'll mostly fold. Almost always, when we raise pre & get called, the callers are trying to hit a low. Just blast them out of the water on any flop containing 2 high cards.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tikay, 

if you were UTG would you be raising AJT3? I'm not sure I am - I'd say your getting calls from hands that either dominate your high, or your low. I have next to no experience in PLO8 cash though...

what are your views on limping pre in PLO8 cash? if you were to limp, limping this utg would be exactly the type of hand i'd do it with. I know in the early stages on PL08/NL08 tourneys there is alot of limping, and that is absolutely the correct strategy early doors imo - we want to avoid high varience spots, and almost always have the odds to call if its raised.

not sure about cash tho??

• Options
    jams88jams88 Member Posts: 694
    edited March 2014
    I beleive although i don't play much omaha that as in this case it is a split pot game it is perfectly acceptable to limp. In holdem 1 of the reasons we raise is to limit the number of players in the pot, preferably heads up. In PLO8 ideally we win both pots but more often than not it will be a chop and sometimes a chop of a chop. The more people in the pot the more people who have put money in who are losing. In a 6 max game if we presume if it got to show down 2/6 would win most of the time we need atleast 3 people in the pot for anybody to be making any money. I'm not very good at explaining what i mean but maybe somebody can interpret from this better what i mean