You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How do you play a strong flop like this?

mrdaviesmrdavies Member Posts: 475
edited March 2014 in Strategy
mrdavies Big blind  £0.20 £0.20 £34.37
  Your hole cards

liamboi11 Fold     
Rubbernix Raise  £0.60 £0.80 £25.40
AKAJOE Fold     
BA14 Call  £0.60 £1.40 £21.88
mrdavies Call  £0.40 £1.80 £33.97
Flop

• A
  • J

mrdavies Check     
Rubbernix Bet  £1.35 £3.15 £24.05
BA14 Fold     
mrdavies Call  £1.35 £4.50 £32.62
Turn

• K

mrdavies Check     
Rubbernix Check     
River

• A

mrdavies Check     
Rubbernix Check     
mrdavies Show

Rubbernix Show
  • A
  • Q

Rubbernix Win Three Aces £4.27  £28.32

Comments

• Options
    mrdaviesmrdavies Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2014
    rubbernix is good player, i respect his raise and put him on a strong ace at the very least!

So if i re raise he is calling regardless id say and maybe shoving, on this instance i preferred to play it down the streets. another time i could be happy to get it in.

Just thoughs on how other would play it
  • Options
    KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: How do you play a strong flop like this?:
    rubbernix is good player, i respect his raise and put him on a strong ace at the very least ! So if i re raise he is calling regardless id say and maybe shoving, on this instance i preferred to play it down the streets. another time i could be happy to get it in. Just thoughs on how other would play it
    Posted by mrdavies
    Bold text above. Hmm, I question this. Good player, or nitty? Or both? Seems very, very nitty if all you can put him on is a strong ace or better from mid-position. You saying that is all you've ever seen him raise from there?? And good one likely values that river too.

I don't have to many issues with your line to be honest. It would have been a risk to reraise on that flop, as fair chancce he will call and may even 3bet you, leaving you not so happy a position. The turn and the river make it difficult to do anything else OOP. As he might well check back an ace on the turn for pot size control given the turn may have given a straight. And then river hard to rep an ace when you feel villian may well have one, and if he does will certainly call. Hence no point trying a bluff.

Others may disagree but think this is just one that plays out this way and you lost the least you could.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited March 2014
    If you think he gas a tight range on the flop I.e. one where we have no FE then you played it perfect imo.

His play is a bit more questionable
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited March 2014
    Played fine.

Villains river check is totally bizarre.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2014
    What hands, if any, do you raise there on the flop? If you raise the flop with sets/AJ then you need to also need to have some hands you are bluff-raising with otherwise a good villain is just going to take advantage of you by easily getting away from medium strength hands. There are some better flush draws we could have here such as KhTh, QhTh and even Th8h but if we want to include even more hands we could definitely include this hand as well.

If you were villain here with AQ and you c-bet the flop and got raised, how would you like your hand? Chances are you'd be a lot less confident and be proceeding with caution and maybe even just folding there and then. It's rare that you wll run into a flopped set or 2 pair and even vs 2 pair we still have about 40% which isn't completely disastorous. Villain will most of the time let us know anyway if he's really strong by 3betting the flop in which case we can then decide if we have enough equity vs his range whether to call or not. But this should happen rarely anyway.

But what do you hope to achieve by c/c OOP - Do you have any plans to bluff the pot if you miss the draw - and if you hit the draw how are you planning on getting paid? It's a pretty obvious draw that came in. It's also not to the nuts so there can be some RIO.

As we played it, villain can have got to the river with a ton of hands that beat us but would have folded to multiple aggression on flop and turn. So we haven't really achieved anything by playing the hand this way imo