You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Deep with an edge

jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
edited December 2021 in Strategy
ok so it's heads up in a £5 buy in tourney and we're sitting around 50bb each. We've been playing heads up for about 30 hands this is the second time he has open shoved and he has shoved over the top of one of my limit raises pre as well. I've eaten about 70/80k into his stack already and I feel I have an edge over him (he's shoving 50bb's afterall). Is it too nitty to fold here, is it a snap call or should I wait for a better oppurtunity given my percieved edge?

I think he turns over a lot of small pairs here so should I be flipping so deep? I should add I am far from an experienced heads up player and have probably played heads up around 10-20 times in 16 months lol
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xSmall blind  6000.00 6000.00 588851.41
jdsallstar Big blind  12000.00 18000.00 551148.59
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

xAll-in  588851.41 606851.41 0.00

jdsallstar????    

Comments

• Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited April 2014
    I probably snap here, gotta go for the move to win at some point. I know its a big shove but AK seems far too strong to fold heads up. I probably take the flip if you know he's shoving PPs but what if he turns over AQ?
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2014
    Snappy snap snap.
  • Options
    jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Deep with an edge:
    I probably snap here, gotta go for the move to win at some point. I know its a big shove but AK seems far too strong to fold   heads up. I probably take the flip if you know he's shoving PPs but what if he turns over AQ?
    Posted by Matt237
    I did snap and he turned up with A9 :)

it was just after i thought did i need to take the higher variance route when i was pretty sure i could grind him down. i was swayed by the fact it wasnt the first time he'd shoved which made me think he was more likely to have more than just pp's in his range.
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Deep with an edge : I did snap and he turned up with A9 :)it was just after i thought did i need to take the higher variance route when i was pretty sure i could grind him down. i was swayed by the fact it wasnt the first time he'd shoved which made me think he was more likely to have more than just pp's in his range.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Thats fair enough but when you have AKs its a snap :-)
    Well done on the win (Assuming it held!)
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited April 2014
    I think there's a few varying factors that would affect my decision here. Firstly is what kind of villain are they? If they are passive and this is the first time I've seen them do this then I think it's a fold as their range is pretty much AQ, maybe AJ+ and pairs (maybe 44 through to JJ) and against that range we only have 52.7% whereas our edge against them is going to be at least 60%. If they are just bad and aggressive then I would snap here. They are shoving much wider for a start, but also our edge is going to be smaller anyway because bad/aggressive players can be unpredictable and in a HU game where you don't have enough time to fully get them sussed it's hard to make your edge pay off.

Another thing that might influence my decision is when is the next blind increase and how many BB's would that put you on. So if blinds go up soon and it leaves you with just 30BB's then I would definitely be calling.
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited April 2014
    I applaud your thinking as a lot of players do not think about this. You should always be evaluating yourself against opponents and ether you think you can best them more often than not. It's certainly a good question and I have many times passed scenarios like this in favour of preserving my perceived bigger edge. 

This hand is a call though but say you had AQo or less and 1010 and less then I can see an argument for folding. It's never a good feeling to fold nice hands but if you feels that you can grind them down then go for it. 

This only really relates to being deep, the shallower you are the wider hands your both going to be playing. 
  • Options
    IHadTrips7IHadTrips7 Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2014
    Folding would be a disaster here.
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2014
    Folding would be a disaster here.
    Posted by IHadTrips7
    +1
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited April 2014
    I always get confused by comments like "should I wait for a better opportunity"
    You have AK heads up. This is the opportunity.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited April 2014
    I always get confused by comments like "should I wait for a better opportunity" You have AK heads up. This is the opportunity.
    Posted by Jac35
    If our opponent is playing a full ring jamming range when HU then you could argue you can fold a lot of hands, we can take a very low variance route. Basically grind out the win! However, I cant see anyone play THAT tight and when our opponent is shoving AQ/AJ etc along with pairs etc AK is in a great spot
  • Options
    ZIPPY146ZIPPY146 Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2014
    hi JD,
    my thinking here would be,ive got the edge over him, ive whittled down his stack, he is frustated,he will jam any ace and any medium pair.any monster he is not going all in because he wants value.So ive got him dominated,ive got the flush draw or at worse i am in a race....get it in your ahead.
    cu on the tables JD.