You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Stationing myself - is there better ways to approach playing more active players?

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited April 2014 in Strategy
CO - was splashing around a bit and was 90% going to be OOP playing them but happy that QJs was ahead of their range - rarely 3b but liable to call to see most flops.
BU - was solid player and expected to fold or 3-b vs me in this spot.  I would fold if they 3-b.

SB - was playing 2/3 pots and had made this small raise probably 5-6 times in the last two orbits, followed up by betting every street and either won without showdown or folded to a raise.

Given this, I was happy to see a flop and take it from there. Felt as though TP/OK Kicker would be good enough to carry on without wanting to raise as it sort of feels like I'm either going to fold bluffs or get kicked out by a better hand.

Is this a sensible approach or would I be better off taking a more aggressive role and either 4-bet pre / or raise on flop or turn?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SBSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £7.44
BBBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £21.61
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

UTGFold     
shakinaces Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £20.28
COCall  £0.30 £0.75 £24.23
BUFold     
SBRaise  £0.45 £1.20 £6.99
BBFold     
shakinaces Call  £0.20 £1.40 £20.08
CO Fold     
Flop

• J

SBBet  £0.70 £2.10 £6.29
shakinaces Call  £0.70 £2.80 £19.38
Turn

SBBet  £2.80 £5.60 £3.49
shakinaces Call  £2.80 £8.40 £16.58
River

SBAll-in  £3.49 £11.89 £0.00
shakinaces Call  £3.49 £15.38 £13.09

Comments

• Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2014
    Pre is a 100% flat. 4-betting would be awful.

Hand is played perfectly vs villain you described.

Ul if you lost. Reload and crush :)
  • Options
    alex1229alex1229 Member Posts: 680
    edited April 2014
    If theres a place to raise its the turn, what was the outcome?
  • Options
    freshfish1freshfish1 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2014
    It was coined the "rope a dope" strategy in harrington on holdem books many years ago. Against aggro players who frequently barrel relentlessly just keep flatting as a raise would probs scare them off. Tpgk is plenty good enough here. More than 80% of the time you'll be good. Sometimetimes theyll turn a 5 or hit the flush but their range is so wide we have to call them down. Wp and unlucky if you lost, make any note worthwile such as his min 3bet range or triple barrelling.
  • Options
    SwogSwog Member Posts: 482
    edited April 2014
    I think i'd either play the hand like you did or i'd ship it on the turn, i'd probably get it in on the turn. Either way i'm not folding this hand on any street. 
  • Options
    grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited April 2014
    Looks fine given reads. You can possibly raise turn, doubt he folds anything and he might c/f busted fds on river

Have all those "small raises" in last 2 orbits been 3bets?
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited April 2014
    Pre - can't fold. 
    Post - being in pos a call is fine. 3 betting I think is ok actually, he is playing a wide range so is equally going to call with a lot of hands we beat such as FD, str draws, 2nd pairs and over cards as well as under pairs. 
    Turn - the pot bet on turn worries me actually. This doesn't look like a bluff and I prob fold due to his actions so far in the hand. 
    River - as played can't fold for price we are getting. 
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Stationing myself - is there better ways to approach playing more active players?:
    Looks fine given reads. You can possibly raise turn, doubt he folds anything and he might c/f busted fds on river Have all those "small raises" in last 2 orbits been 3bets?
    Posted by grantorino
    Yes - lots of 3x opens at the table which villain has then raised to 5x. Not just vs me, vs all except CO (who was almost never opening).