You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Flopped set vs confused river

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited April 2014 in Strategy
I'd hoped to keep this small mainly because UTG+1 was a station and I was happy that if they'd come along for the ride I'd be likely to get paid for the times I hit my set / would have to shut down when I miss.

UTG was the only one the played back though. I don't know how many tables they were playing, but were on 3 (of 6) tables I was playing at the time. Doesn't play a huge range of hands pre-flop and afaik the limp call tends to be fit-or-fold type hands (low/mid pairs or suited connectors).  He usually sits with a full stack, but had taken a couple of hits in the last orbit or so.

Given the f-o-f thought, I kept the bets fairly small on flop and turn in the hope that mid pairs may continue calling.

Then he befuzzles me with the massive donk (?) lead river. Only obvious hand I could pick from pre-flop range is 55 or a flopped flush that maybe thought I was c-betting AcQx/AcKx sort of hand which would likely check behind but may call a donk.

Am I overthinking things and should this be a snap call?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SBSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.89
BBBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £2.26
  Your hole cards

UTGCall  £0.10 £0.25 £5.59
UTG+1Call  £0.10 £0.35 £9.78
shakinaces Raise  £0.35 £0.70 £16.22
BUFold     
SBFold     
BBFold     
UTGCall  £0.25 £0.95 £5.34
UTG+1Fold     
Flop

UTGCheck     
shakinaces Bet  £0.60 £1.55 £15.62
UTGCall  £0.60 £2.15 £4.74
Turn

• K

UTGCheck     
shakinaces Bet  £1.20 £3.35 £14.42
UTGCall  £1.20 £4.55 £3.54
River

• Q

UTGAll-in  £3.54 £8.09 £0.00
shakinaces

Comments

• freshfish1freshfish1 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2014
    Call.

1. Your hand may still be good.
    2. If you lose make a note of how the hand played and what he considered strong enough to donk the river.
    3. Use these in the future as he will likely do the same thing again, either way knowledge is potentially more money in your pocket over time and 35BB is cheap enough for me:)
  • 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2014
    Snap

Everything missed.
  • CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited April 2014
    Was this me? Seems familiar somehow. 
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Flopped set vs confused river:
    Snap Everything missed.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    +1.
  • alex1229alex1229 Member Posts: 680
    edited April 2014
    Ive pressed Call before its even given me the option to
  • Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited April 2014
    Call river

I bet bigger on the turn
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited April 2014

No it wasn't you Craig - surprised you figure it might be in a hand that limp / calls UTG!

FWIW all the bad river outcomes I've seen in the last week or so made me level myself into folding this.

Bar this hand, I can't recall seeing an out of position shove like this lately which doesn't have a nutted (or effectively nutted) hand that the oppo is scared they won't get value for if I check behind.

Bizarrely, they then showed JJ for a bluff that made no sense to me whatsoever and makes me rethink my previous player notes!  Perhaps they were just tilting at the time and it was a one-off.

Lambert - re: turn bet-size, this was me confusing myself (?) due to stack sizes, if we were both 100BB in this hand I'd have bet bigger for sure. Almost wanted to size such that villain may think he had some fold equity for shoving turn (with Ac or because he thought I was at it) but knowing that if he just calls it's a sensible looking 3/4 pot river bet for stacks (on a non-club river).

This may well be a value-losing leak though on my part (see my AA hand also posted in clinic today).

• CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited April 2014
    No it wasn't you Craig - surprised you figure it might be in a hand that limp / calls UTG! FWIW all the bad river outcomes I've seen in the last week or so made me level myself into folding this. Bar this hand, I can't recall seeing an out of position shove like this lately which doesn't have a nutted (or effectively nutted) hand that the oppo is scared they won't get value for if I check behind. Bizarrely, they then showed JJ for a bluff that made no sense to me whatsoever and makes me rethink my previous player notes!  Perhaps they were just tilting at the time and it was a one-off. Lambert - re: turn bet-size, this was me confusing myself (?) due to stack sizes, if we were both 100BB in this hand I'd have bet bigger for sure. Almost wanted to size such that villain may think he had some fold equity for shoving turn (with Ac or because he thought I was at it) but knowing that if he just calls it's a sensible looking 3/4 pot river bet for stacks (on a non-club river). This may well be a value-losing leak though on my part (see my AA hand also posted in clinic today).
    Posted by shakinaces
    LOL - i have mis - clicked quite a few times lately. I either thinking im betting an end up calling or want to bet x amount and end up overbetting! 

For what it worth I'm never folding but im confused too! Sometimes when something just does not make sense then you cant go far wrong calling for a good price. 
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Flopped set vs confused river : LOL - i have mis - clicked quite a few times lately. I either thinking im betting an end up calling or want to bet x amount and end up overbetting!  For what it worth I'm never folding but im confused too! Sometimes when something just does not make sense then you cant go far wrong calling for a good price. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Yeah I think that's something I need to do more of... although I have lost way too much with that approach lately which has made me a little gun shy.

I think I'm all still calling too infrequently as I try and truly evolve from my early dalliances with poker (mostly SNG and occasional MTT) into a mostly cash player.  ie get used to the fact that I don't need to protect my tournament/table life by shying away from the more marginal calls.