You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Naming tells

scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd start a discussion about naming tells, as there is a lot of information out there to be gained by this.  I'll start off with a couple:

Football related user IDs - these people tend to be donks and 'gamblers'.  Especially if the team is a top 4 team (and Liverpool LOLZ).  This is increased by 10 fold if they have a player related username like Torres21 and Gerrard. 

PKR SPK user IDs - AVOID as these players will generally have a better than average understanding of the game. examples like SIK_FLOPS or even LOLUFOLD.  Generally this will mean that they are a member of a very well known poker forum too.

Fish name related user IDs - these people choose these as they think they are a good player, and are attempting some ironic 'humour'. however they generally aren't and are one dimensional weak tight fish.  examples like COD BOY or CARP MAN.

Anyone else have any views on this?  Oh and awaits 'yeah anyone with scotty in their name is a LAGtard donk' weeeeeeeeeeeee

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Naming tells:
    Hi Guys, Just thought I'd start a discussion about naming tells, as there is a lot of information out there to be gained by this.  I'll start off with a couple: Football related user IDs - these people tend to be donks and 'gamblers'.  Especially if the team is a top 4 team (and Liverpool LOLZ).  This is increased by 10 fold if they have a player related username like Torres21 and Gerrard.  PKR SPK user IDs - AVOID as these players will generally have a better than average understanding of the game. examples like SIK_FLOPS or even LOLUFOLD.  Generally this will mean that they are a member of a very well known poker forum too. Fish name related user IDs - these people choose these as they think they are a good player, and are attempting some ironic 'humour'. however they generally aren't and are one dimensional weak tight fish.  examples like COD BOY or CARP MAN. Anyone else have any views on this?  Oh and awaits 'yeah anyone with scotty in their name is a LAGtard donk' weeeeeeeeeeeee xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posted by scotty77

Hi Scotty!

There are clearly exceptions to this rule... Sky poker's very own Gerrard9 for example

However, i know of at least 3 football related names on this site who are "creative" players to say the least! So i think you have something here!

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't think that Gerrard9 is a liverpool fan tho.  Surely it would be Gerrard8?!?!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    heres another one..

Anyone that uses their own name loves themselves and is an agressive player generally!

Whooops
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Naming tells:
    I don't think that Gerrard9 is a liverpool fan tho.  Surely it would be Gerrard8?!?!
    Posted by scotty77
    good point, i was trying to work out Stephen Gerrards Squad number!

• Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    Hi Guys, Just thought I'd start a discussion about naming tells, as there is a lot of information out there to be gained by this.  I'll start off with a couple: Football related user IDs - these people tend to be donks and 'gamblers'.  Especially if the team is a top 4 team (and Liverpool LOLZ).  This is increased by 10 fold if they have a player related username like Torres21 and Gerrard.  PKR SPK user IDs - AVOID as these players will generally have a better than average understanding of the game. examples like SIK_FLOPS or even LOLUFOLD.  Generally this will mean that they are a member of a very well known poker forum too. Fish name related user IDs - these people choose these as they think they are a good player, and are attempting some ironic 'humour'. however they generally aren't and are one dimensional weak tight fish.  examples like COD BOY or CARP MAN. Anyone else have any views on this?  Oh and awaits 'yeah anyone with scotty in their name is a LAGtard donk' weeeeeeeeeeeee xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posted by scotty77
    Yes, I'm defo a donk and a gambler so if you're up against me and I go allin please call every time.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2010
     u couldnt of explained myself better scotty very good observational skills m8
  • Options
    edited January 2010
     u couldnt of explained myself better scotty very good observational skills m8
    Posted by stokefc
    when i was writing the OP i did think of mentioning you sir, you massive nitttttttt
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Naming tells : when i was writing the OP i did think of mentioning you sir, you massive nitttttttt
    Posted by scotty77
    you shudda used my name m8 i wouldnt of minded one little bit...sry nittt
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

What catagory wud scrumdown fall into? Big Bald welshman with a beer belly and wierd ears?

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    Fish name related user IDs - these people choose these as they think they are a good player, and are attempting some ironic 'humour'. however they generally aren't and are one dimensional weak tight fish.  examples like COD BOY or CARP MAN.
    Posted by scotty77
    ... or MereNovice (although not technically a fish name) - you nailed it, Scotty. (Thanks for your restraint in not naming me personally, though!)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've found that people whose names start PokerPro generally aren't.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited January 2010
    Posted by scotty77
    maybe gerrard 8 was already taken by a donk lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What catagory wud scrumdown fall into? Big Bald welshman with a beer belly and wierd ears?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    There's nothing wrong with a beer belly and weird (note the spelling!) ears.
    No comment on Welshmen.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Players with names like VerySexyBlonde are generally truckers who measure about 6ft across the shoulders; not sure what this says about their poker playing ability, though.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    anyone with a name that suggests they are a wee bit mad, probably are, unless they aren't, then they probably dont know it, like oynutter and........ erm, i cant think of anyone else.
  • Options
    freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
    edited January 2010
    madhornet,    i dont think i need to say a word.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Players with names like VerySexyBlonde are generally truckers who measure about 6ft across the shoulders; not sure what this says about their poker playing ability, though.
    Posted by MereNovice
    probably only 'blonde' on top lol
  • Options
    TiaDalmaTiaDalma Member Posts: 454
    edited January 2010
    Hi Scotty - great thread Idea. Can you give me your analysis on my name plz
  • Options
    JAMIEPJAMIEP Member Posts: 218
    edited January 2010
    Or you can be like me and get your poker alias and user id/password name mixed up when joining the site.Ooops.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited January 2010
    What's my name tell ya then?