You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Master Cash 2nd January - Make Your Play ONE.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,217
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi, & a Happy New Year to the growing band of Master Cash-ites.

Here's the first of this week's two MYP's. The responses to these have got better & better, & from all of us at Master Cash, thank you for entering into it in exactly the right spirit.

Remember, we need your Votes, but what we need more is your explanations as to "why". The right or wrong answer is less important in many ways than the "what & why".

Please Post replies & comments either on thread, or via e-Mail, & Rich & I will try & read as many out as possible on tonight's Live Show, which airs at 8pm on Channel 865. The e-Addy is skyopen@bskyb.com

You might also wish to omment how well or not well Hero played this, too.

Righty-ho, here we go.

Blinds £1 £2, 6 handed.

Hero (SB) £350

Villain (Cut-off) £217.

Hero has the pretty-ish Ad-Qh

Folded to Villain who makes it £5.

Hero, in SB, pops it up to £19.

Villain calls.

Flop = Ah-Jh-6d

Hero in SB bets £26.

Villain re-raises to £59, ooh-er!

Hero..........CALLS.

Turn 4h

So it's now Ah-Jh-6d-4h

Now it goes check-check. (Comment?)

River Qc

Our Board now reads.....

Ah-Jh-6d-4h-Qc

Hero now.....

Check Calls?

Check Folds?

Bets £85?

Remember to use the Voting Option at the bottom of this post, please.

Comments

• Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    Hi tikay

Have we any information on the villain please?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash 2nd January - Make Your Play ONE.:
    Hi tikay Have we any information on the villain please?
    Posted by acebarry10
    Not much Barry - he's just come to the Table. But I did notice one very telling thing - his eyebrows were very close together. Always a sign of a wrong 'un according to my grandma.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash 2nd January - Make Your Play ONE.:
    In Response to Re: Master Cash 2nd January - Make Your Play ONE. : Not much Barry - he's just come to the Table. But I did notice one very telling thing - his eyebrows were very close together. Always a sign of a wrong 'un according to my grandma.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lol, thanks tikay
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

I take control, and bet out, having put him on AK! - This is why....

By raising pre, and just flatting my re raise, and after evaluating the flop action...I think I can pretty confidently put him on ace king. I always try to put my opponent on a specific 2 card hand, the action just screams AK! AA wud raise again pre.

He checks the turn, I dnt think hes disguising a flush, think hes as worried about the flush as I am. Hard to put him on a hand with 2 hearts, as the ace of hearts has flopped, so whats he playing that cud have made a flush, with the action being played out as it has? QK hearts? - wud he raise the flop? maybe, but unlikely.

Back to the question....

Having put my opponent on AK, I have to bet here because I believe he will call!(cnt rule out AJ) If I check, he may well be thinking along the same lines, and may bet out as well, as ive checked the turn and river - I look so weak. Im not gonna check raise the river, so betting out is the option I'd take, it takes the bluff away from my oppo, if he shoves, I fold.

DOHH

• Options
    edited January 2010

By the bye, Dohhhhhhh's reply, though perhaps a little too long to read on the Show, is a perfect demonstration of thought process throughout the play of the hand. The explanation of what & why - & whether he is right or wrong is irrelevant - is how we are all learning on Master Cash & the MYP threads. 
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    First off the conservative (wimpy) option is a check call.  I really think you will be leaving value on the table by not betting.

The end board is great, remember the villain raise called from position preflop.  Pocket pairs you will significantly be up against in this spot is 10s to 7s.  I'd have a slight worry about pocket sixes but at this level the majority of the time the villain would foldpreflop.  Aces to Jacks would of normally have reraised.  So I'm saying no sets.

The fact we have the Queen of hearts in our hand is great as KQ hearts would have been centre of villain's range.  I don't have the villain on a flush, I think they are as scared of the three hearts as we are by the way we called the small raise.

I have villain on AJ (he made the wimpy call preflop because of position and flopped top two) and he will call the bet on the end, so I bet out on the river.

I hate our play flop and turn though, we have lost control of the hand after taking it preflop and we haven't used the betting to really define down the villain's hand as much as we should of.
  • Options
    steveburkesteveburke Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2010
    hmm couple of interesting spots in the hand.

firstly whats his range for raising hero's c-bet?  ... sets. 2 pair hands , Ax hands , flush draws possibly like k-q.k-10 hearts which have a gutter, and lets not forget AIR/JUNK.i 'd also say a-k isnt there as ak would be a standard 4-bet pre flop from villian?

The thing im worrying about here is when the turn goes check check, now villain rarely has a flush ere unless its the nut flush, as it would be silly too be out drawn without charging hero for the pleasure. 

the good news on the river is that our opponent looks to either been pot controling on the turn, one thing is sure when he checks the turn he has showdown value as if he was weak he probably bet the turn.

i in 2 minds here what to do on the river, i think betting here is fine, a good player would value bet the turn for sure if he had aj, like wise a strong player would 4 bet ak in position against a 3 bet from the blinds for sure.

but i guess its horses for courses

Now i've read the hand info properly and edited my original answer lol new years day drinking gr8 isnt it ha ha 
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited January 2010
    i defo check here tikay think villain has hit his flush and his traping
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2010
    I would bet out here. With the pre flop action I'd put the vilain on either AK or a pocket pair. The re-raise on the flop again suggests AK or maybe he's hit a set of Jacks. We're both worried by the flush on the turn but I think I'm ahead on the river and bet out. If he does have JJ then I'm unlucky but can't put him any other hand that is beating me!
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited January 2010
    I'm betting £85 as I'm missing out on some value if I check. He has played it like he has a high Ace - up to A10 possibly?  
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Just a note diggerman - If he does have a set of jacks, if you bet into him, hes not gonna raise here. - He MIGHT, altho its unlikely, he MIGHT lay the jacks down if we bet. So the bet rather than the check call definately has many advantages.

Whereas if you check to him (thats twice) hes definately gonna V bet it.

If we check to him and he bets, whats goin thru our head? Loadsssss of negative, paranoid thoughts, we're looking for things that might not even be there! and its such a headache!

Give him the headache, I hate check call.

Theres so many hands hes gonna call with that we can beat here.

DOHH
  • Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited January 2010
    tricky 1!!! did he check a monster on the turn???

i personally check - call. well id call a pot size bet of £85..

what if he pushes what do we do then tikay in your opinion??

think i may fold a push!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Groan, as the Hero, I decide im not playing and take my cards home chuckles, what the heck bet it.
  • Options
    RICHORFORDRICHORFORD Member Posts: 5,571
    edited January 2010
    I'm check-calling here. I'm happy enough with the size of the pot thank you very much.

I suspect I'm good here but why take the risk of having your opp re-raise you (with or without the flush) and then putting you on a big decision to either throw away the chips you've invested or make a crying call?

If he's got it, he's calling/raising your river bet. If he hasn't got it, then a check-call means you've won anyway.

I don't see the point of betting further. What sort of a hand is he going to call you with that you're beating?
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    Im betting the £85 fairly sure that i am ahead and that he will call with a worse hand. Most likely AK.

If he has got AK he may use the advantage of position and check behind so you are missing out on potential value if you dont bet out.

The main problem with this hand is that we are out of position... ugh...
  • Options
    hawk7112hawk7112 Member Posts: 3,627
    edited January 2010

I agree with Rich on this one and as gerg mentions positions not great

(Has TK already given u his answer) 
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    Bet out, every time.
    It is very unlikely that the villain has the flush or straight given the action to date and the cards that we can see. He will also know the same about our hand so he could well call with a hand that we are beating. If we don't bet we are losing value here.
    The only hand that we are concerned about should be a set. He is unlikely to re-raise us with the set and would bet it anyway if we checked to him so we need to bet out for a decent amount.

You asked specifically for a comment on the turn play. I like our check. The check by the villain is weak. He shouldn't be putting us on a made flush so if he has a big hand he should be betting for value here and not allowing us to draw to a big flush for free.

P.S. I love suited kings so if I'm the villain here I'm making hay!
  • Options
    zxghostxzzxghostxz Member Posts: 482
    edited January 2010
     the check could be a trap...bet the 85 ask the quiestion and gets a bet in .. he wasent  calling your reraise after flop for nout......... he calls the 85 with the ak sum might with a pp kk   if u get reraised....... worry  lolol ........hes   prob  got the fush.............
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited January 2010
    I dont check call with this software ..to risky im all in if im disconnected  after that well it doesnt  matter cos when i get re-connected im either quids in or skint  :))
  • Options
    timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2010
    i would say check to him , you are unsure about where u stand in the hand and if villan bets you can work out the percentage it would take 2 be a profitable call in the long run , the check on the turn shows you were both scared of the heart i would probably put him on kk ,