You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Master Cash 2nd January - Make Your Play TWO

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,217
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

This time, Blinds are £0.50 £1, & it's 6 handed again.

Villain (MP) has £129.85, Hero (BUTTON) £71.

Hero has Ah-5H

Villain makes it £3 to play, Hero CALLS (comment?). Everyone else runs for cover.

Flop
Td-6c-5s

Villain Bets £5.50, Hero CALLS. (comment?)

The Trip-tastic-Turn is 5c

Td-6c-5s-5c

Villain now makes it £13.50

Hero.......

Calls?

Raises?

Reply on thread, or to
skyopen@bskyb.com please. We will try to read out the best replies & comments.

Vote on Thread, too, please.

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Dont mind the call pre in position drawing to the nuts in a deep stacked cash game - However the fellas playing below the max buy in. As its against 1 opponent I would probably raise here(or fold), if thered been a raise, and 2/3 callers when the action got to me, Im happy to call and see a flop.

Question....

Im raising here. I wanna get some money in the pot, as its brought the flush draw, Im not so worried about calling and letting my opponent hit a flush, thats not even entered my mind. By CALLING, and allowing a third club to come, this makes it less likely Im gonna get full value for my hand on the river!

I put myself in my oppos position, hes probably got me on a weak 10 on the flop, if I flat the turn as well, hes got to consider I may be on a back door flush draw here, and will slow down if a scare card (10 or club) comes on the river!

A raise here, his overpair still looks pretty strong, and I could well get all the money in the middle with one card still to come, and quite confident Im gonna stack him.

DOHH

• Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    TK - Can I say I would over bet just so villain would fold and I don't have to show anyone I've played a raggy ace?  No, oh well.

I absolutely despise the call preflop if we are playing our cards.  If this is a case of playing ATC against a weak post flop player then great but I've got a dreadful feeling Hero ha called thinking (I've got an Ace and thank the Lord, it's suited, here comes my flush....).  If we want to play this junk we have to raise to give us more options on how to win the hand.

Oh well, rant over.  We've sucked out on the turn but we are not home a dry in this hand.  We have trips on the lowest card on the table so a Ten on the river would worry us.  I think it's clear however that other than AT (pos KT or maybe JT if Villain is an internet kid) that the villain has an overpair.  He would have us rightfully no where near the five and will instead be worried about a house against him (worrying we have pocket tens).  However overpairs are very difficult to muck as they are so hard to get.  If we raise here I feel we'll get a call and a value bet on the river will also be called.

So in conclusion, charge for the house draw and extract value on the overpair in most cases.  There is no point not trying to build the pot here as if villain has air they are unlikely to triple barrel the river so I don't think trapping is the correct option
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited January 2010
    I personally don't mind the call pre and post flop. If statistically, most time players will miss the flop then calling with bottom pair is definitely not bad to a standard c bet.  I may well raise on flop, however, with position, I am quite happy to see another card with bottom pair.  Once I have made trips I am now going to make them pay to continue with the hand.  If they want to carry on then I still have position AND a very strong hand on river and if they don't, then I have a nice pot.  

• Options
    steveburkesteveburke Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2010
    i dont like calling here, but i suspect hero is calling in position with the intention of using his position as leverage if the right situation occurs.

calling the flop c-bet is probably fine, raising here would be terrible , as only better calls and worse probably folds.

gotta call the turn for sure....... if we raise we narrow our range massivly here ....dont get me wrong if he has the over pair or A-10 he probably aint going to pass but by raisng we give him the chance.

besides the 5 is a gr8 card for him as if he has the overpair we cant 2 pair him now.

call the turn shove any brick rive.

• Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited January 2010
    im folded pre flop but..

if i make call pre and hit my 5 on flop im raising the c bet on the flop..

once i hit trips on turn i call the £13.50 and hope he fires again on river then push
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited January 2010
    Hi Guys,

I've voted for raising, and i would pot it or push the lot in here, why, there is more than 50% of your stack in the pot, at this time and would be worth taking it down here and now, and if your playing this hand like this,(a positional call) then what more do you want. An opponent betting into you, and a fairly dry board. On the turn you are only behind to 10 10, 66, 65,10 5. I wouldnt put them on that range apart from a pair of tens and if they've got that then so be it.
    If you play this hand thus, the what more do you require. Personnally, i either raise on the flop or get out at that time, by calling the flop you're commiting yourself to the pot, after the turn.

col
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey col as a boro fan u cud help. I read in the mirror sports pull out this mornin that boro v city is on tele? I cnt see/find it anywhere - any idea what channel and when??? Is it ESPN?

DOHH
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    Im with Colin here :)
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited January 2010
    I dont mind the call preflop, generally on 50/1 the raises are 4x+ so 3x is actually a small raise. I wouldn't call the flop, I either fold here or re-raise to test the villan and see if he actually has a hand. The turn I raise also, as he is not going to put us on a 5 after calling the preflop raise. If he has the 10 he probably isn't going to fold to the turn bet.
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2010
    No information on the player again but its only a small raise pre flop so a flat call in position isn't my prefered option (I would probably re-raise) but its cheap enough to speculate! With the rag flop, the vilains 3/4 pot bet is worth a call with bottom pair and when we get lucky by hitting trips its time to take control, so I raise, especially as the vilains bet on the turn leads me to think he's on something like A10 or mid PP
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thing is tho col,  what if .....

our opponent is sat with ak aq kq ect ect, and he is teying to get u off a weak 10 or medium pocket pair type hand

if ya raise here it stops him continuing with all his bluffs so we lose by raising here .

if we raise we are putting him on a good 10 or an big pp  so......... if thats what his hand looks like to us ...what does us raisng the turn look like to him.....a monster thats what.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash 2nd January - Make Your Play TWO:
    Hey col as a boro fan u cud help. I read in the mirror sports pull out this mornin that boro v city is on tele? I cnt see/find it anywhere - any idea what channel and when??? Is it ESPN? DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No m8 cant help you, i cant find it any where either
    col
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thing is tho col,  what if ..... our opponent is sat with ak aq kq ect ect, and he is teying to get u off a weak 10 or medium pocket pair type hand if ya raise here it stops him continuing with all his bluffs so we lose by raising here .
    Posted by steveburke
    Its as likely, if not more likely (fired 2 barrels) that hes playing an over pair. If so a raise gets it all in here, if he is playing a hand such as AK, its not a forgone conclusion that hes gonna lay it down just because we've raised. Got to believe he has a hand here, hes trying to tell us he has, if he hasnt, then hes a fibber, note it, and move on. Get some pennies in!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i know what ur saying here dohhh...... and technically u are'nt really wrong but......

but raising here is -EV.........think about it ..

any thing we do that stops villain building the pot out of position with a worse hand is a mistake.

so when we raise all villain can continue with here is a certain range of hands, if we call we keep villains range really wide and thats the way we want it here.

theres no point raising and only letting him continue with big 10's and decent pocket pairs, when if we call he's still continuing to bet those hands on the river but if a big broadway card hits he may have it or even try to represent it giving us even more money.

there is a calculation to tell u actually what the expected value of a said play is given the info we have ( ev calulations) too rough to number crunch it at the moment but im almost certain raisng with work out to lose us money mate.

• Options
    edited January 2010

Noooo not more robots and calculators and poker machines, technival terms and that dreaded abbreviation EV!

Am I the only one that believes that the real game of poker is played in the head? Its a game of psychology and cards, representation, bluff, image, courage and logic!

Sure the maths are important in poker up to a point, but theres words I continually use on this forum such as feel, instinct, gut feeling, gut reaction, which I feel are much more important. Courage is so important to trust all these!

I had this debate with someone earlier in the week, about typing a situation into a calculater, and it figures out the optimum play! - I mean cmon!! - This is real, we've been given a position and asked to 'make a play' - No calculators allowed lol.

Not saying the call is wrong fella. Game of styles, and my style would be to raise.

DOHH
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thing is tho col,  what if ..... our opponent is sat with ak aq kq ect ect, and he is teying to get u off a weak 10 or medium pocket pair type hand if ya raise here it stops him continuing with all his bluffs so we lose by raising here . if we raise we are putting him on a good 10 or an big pp  so......... if thats what his hand looks like to us ...what does us raisng the turn look like to him.....a monster thats what.
    Posted by steveburke
    Hi Steve,
    I agree that you do lose out to a certain amount, but with the flush draw also coming on the turn, it is qiute possible that he could now be semi bluffing with ak, aj, of the flush suit. Therefore i am happy to take the pot here and increase my stack by £25, so if he gets the impression that i have a monster so be it.
    In my opinion, we tend to think that we need to maximise EVERY hand and forget sometimes that, in this case our hand is vunerable so little and often is just as sweet.

col 
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dohhh
    quite enjoy some constructive banter especially with someone who is also wired up for sound.

i agree with the your take on the tech jargon somewhat -  concepts which are fully understood by suprisingly few but banded around by the many, i type/ talk like this without thinking really , just comes from watching coaching vids for a long time.

i guess my point put in to perspective would be david sklansky saying that optimal play would be to play your hand as you would play it , if you could see your opponents hand, by doing this extracting the maximum and losing the minimum.

so if we see our opponent has 2-3 we call on the turn with our A-5 as raising does'nt accomplish any thing.

thinking more into it, tho, raising maybe better if maybe the stacks were deeper , but i guess only if you figured your opponent was a donk who would stack off with 1 pair 200 bb's deep or more, coz if we called it would mean having to overbet the river  massivly to get stacks in.

col, yea mate you have a point, also if i played as well as i talked the world would be my oyster ha ha

steve

• Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    My read on my opponant decides if i just call or if i raise.

However, generally, i would raise here for the same reasons as DOHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    The pre-flop and flop call are fine for me (but I'm a passive wuss). We have position and can make a move on later streets.
    On the flop we are essentially "floating" (I believe that's what the kidz call it) with the added bonus of possibly making a hand.
    The turn card is "wonderland". I raise here every time. As Dohhhhhhh has said, it's not related to the possible flush scaring me - the point is that it will scare our opponent and we won't get value. Our opponent is unlikely to think that the 5 helped us so we are likely to get called if he has the overpair. If we just smooth we are unlikely to get much more value on the river.

If we raise the turn, we really only lose value if our opponent has double barrel bluffed and is going to fire on the river too.
  • Options
    zxghostxzzxghostxz Member Posts: 482
    edited January 2010
    wats he callin with the a5 for   ?    rags. if ever used  are for atacking  not callin with........ note the phrase..................ragatackkkkkk.... not ragcall. doesent sound right