You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

making a living

JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
edited July 2009 in Poker Chat

I would like to know how many tournaments do you have to play before 1) a win or 2) cashing out, this is for the people who make a living or at least supplement their income, I mean how many times have you seen people win i.e. Jamie gold, or Chris moneymaker then they disappear, are they still winning and we don’t hear about it or are they just living of their winnings and losing like the rest of us obviously the win is in the millions so they are set up for life but for the average player what is the percentage of cashing out, I have chatted to various players whilst playing on line and find they are playing three, four or more games at the same time, and are surprised if they get beaten or is this all bravado on their part. On sky you have the Swiss who has won the open a few times but how many other games does he play not only on sky but I should imagine other sites as well., also the sky poker team what is the percentage of your wins I should imagine that sky pays for your games so TK, rich, and the rest of the team how many games do you play and are you up?
I have been playing for nearly three years the first 18 months I was winning and had a fairly healthy bankroll then went cold and lost constantly for about a year then just the other night won the open and now I’m up again or is this unanswerable question as you can play the same every time but the variables dictate the outcome and as much as you play it does come down to luck of the cards. 0n the other hand you get someone like Chris Ferguson who did that personal challenge starting with nothing and going on to win $10,000 in two years, or are these people the elite and have sixth sense when it comes to poker.

Comments

• bonniedogbonniedog Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2009

Anyone playing the open does not supplement their income from poker. The open and these bounty hunters are a joke. People play them because they dream of entering for a tenner and winning a grand. Just like when my nan buys her lottery ticket.

• JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
    edited July 2009

thank you for posting A reply but it does not answer my question, although you say the open and bounty hunters are a joke and a lottery you do see the same names in the money time and again.

• OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited July 2009
    Most ppl who make a living or supplement their income do so from cash games. Mtt`s are just too high variance for most.  The variance of mtt`s on this site would be lower than for other sites due to the relatively small fields by comparison to other sites, and of course 6 max suits some ppl.

Also, I`m not sure how ppl on here fair on other sites, as since discovering sky, I must say it is the softest site I have played.

It would not surprise me if decent winners on here say from NL20-NL200 would get totally owned on other sites like stars/ft playing same stakes.

Most of the big name pro`s are never paying for their entry fee so they can only be up.

The Chris Ferguson challenge was not really to show off how good at poker he was, That was never in doubt, more with how important discipline is.  Any winning player could achieve what he sis, maybe not in the same timeframe.
  • lemster127lemster127 Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2009
    Totally agree with the posts on here, Sky is the softest site and alot of the cash players on here,if playing the same levels on say FT would get absolutely owned,the comp on here is very poor.

Also agree with previous post the open and bounty hunters are a joke and u see the same faces because the same faces play that joke way,again iof these players did this at say FT or Pstars all they would be doing is donking off their money or buy in.

Good posts bonniedog and OMahonyO
  • bonniedogbonniedog Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: making a living:
    thank you for posting A reply but it does not answer my question, although you say the open and bounty hunters are a joke and a lottery you do see the same names in the money time and again.
    Posted by JONONZIE
    Best thing you could do is leave £400 in your account and start playing 20p bb cash. See how it goes from there. Unfortunatly, I see players who have done well in the large mtt's on sky,they come to cash and they get owned. Reason for this is they are playing proper poker where you have a large stack e.g. 100 bb's. This is where the skill is in poker, making tough decisions on the flop turn and river. Its easy playing push or fold poker pre flop against opponents who have not a clue who are just trying to turn a 10 quid into a grand.

As for myself, I keep a certain amount in my account and once a week anything over that amount I withdraw to spend.
  • JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
    edited July 2009

Thanks for all your input it seems that cash is the way to go i have played 5p 10p and although i win at some sittings i have lost more than I have won, players seem to keep going in a hand and hope to hit and in cash this seems to happen a lot, many times i have been ahead on the flop and I have experimented no matter what I bet or slow play players come along for the ride and I get sucked out  or have to fold, flush and straight draws are like red rags to a bull and players just keep calling or betting on their draw. In a mtt at least you can outprice them but cash players will just call, still i shall keep plugging away thanks to all
    jononzie