You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bet sizing - 3 and 4 betting

jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
edited December 2021 in Strategy
How big/small should you make your 3bets and 4 bets? 

I realise various situations will call for different sizing but just in general. To make it easier assume all villains equally stacked +50bb's, facing a normal sized open and you are readless.

Comments

• Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited May 2014
    this is roughly what I do:

early tournament/ very deep stacked (100bb +): out of position ~3.5x, in position ~3x.

mid stacked ~ 50bb: 3x OP, 2.5x IP

short stacked 20-30bb: OP 2.7x, IP 2.2x

out of position you definately want to be raising more, to encourage your opponent not to flat, so you dont have to play a pot out of position. your aim should be to make it so they have to 4bet/ fold alot fo the time. in position you dont mind so much if they flat, but you want to make it big enough so they can fold.

hope that helps

• Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited May 2014
    Hi

I think you need to be more specific if you would like a good response to this.

Are you 3/4 bet bluffing or for value?

Is it in a cash game or an MTT or a DYM?

I personally 3 / 4 bet depending n the above and my read on a player is VERY important.  For example - in cash there is a lot more scope to 4 bet bluff - so a good sized one (3x the 3 bet assuming stack sizes are 50BB+) especially if the villian is often 3 betting or squeeze playing when people limp.

In a DYM - 3 bets have to be carefully done as can inflate a pot quickly meaning the post flop play could be a shove / fold - where 4 betting will often mean getting it all in pre.

If you post up a hand where you have 3 / 4 bet we could help with the sizing there.

Unfortunatley in my opinion there is no standard rulles for sizes of the 3 and 4 bet - completly dependant on stacks / format / readsand of course the hand your playing

• Options
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing - 3 and 4 betting:
    this is roughly what I do: early tournament/ very deep stacked (100bb +): out of position ~3.5x, in position ~3x. mid stacked ~ 50bb: 3x OP, 2.5x IP short stacked 20-30bb: OP 2.7x, IP 2.2x out of position you definately want to be raising more, to encourage your opponent not to flat, so you dont have to play a pot out of position. your aim should be to make it so they have to 4bet/ fold alot fo the time. in position you dont mind so much if they flat, but you want to make it big enough so they can fold. hope that helps
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Cheers chicken thats perfect
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing - 3 and 4 betting:
    Hi I think you need to be more specific if you would like a good response to this. Are you 3/4 bet bluffing or for value? Is it in a cash game or an MTT or a DYM? I personally 3 / 4 bet depending n the above and my read on a player is VERY important.  For example - in cash there is a lot more scope to 4 bet bluff - so a good sized one (3x the 3 bet assuming stack sizes are 50BB+) especially if the villian is often 3 betting or squeeze playing when people limp. In a DYM - 3 bets have to be carefully done as can inflate a pot quickly meaning the post flop play could be a shove / fold - where 4 betting will often mean getting it all in pre. If you post up a hand where you have 3 / 4 bet we could help with the sizing there. Unfortunatley in my opinion there is no standard rulles for sizes of the 3 and 4 bet - completly dependant on stacks / format / readsand of course the hand your playing
    Posted by Nuggy962

i would have thought my 3 bet/4 bet bluffs should be same size as my values?!

I put this in the tournament section so I assumed it was clear enough i was talking about mtts. My bad.

Thanks for the input though.