You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How to measure your stack throughout a MTT

Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
edited December 2021 in Strategy
HI

Not sure if I will be able to explain this right but will give it a go!

I have been studying my game and have noticed that I manage to build up a healthy stack fairly early on playing mainly ABC poker with the odd move etc.  I never go mental - no one ever wins a MTT in level 1 but you sure can loose it

So here is my poker journey in a £750 BH after a solid start

13k iin chips, Blinds 100/200, av stack 8k - was in top 3

13k at 150/300 av stack 8.5k - still top 3 17 left and 10 paid

16k at 200/400 av 9.3k 15 left

13k at 300/600 av 12k 11 left

Then lost a flip - I called a shorty stack (4k) with 55 - should I have folded as was for 30% of stack?

down to 8k, M of under 9 - shoved with AJ snapped by 1010 and lost the flip

I found once i got a bigger stack and the blinds were creeping up - I started to tighten up??  So i would open wideish (up to A10 and all PP up to 99 and some suited connectors)  But found I was folding to a lot of shoves off stacks around 10/11 and 12BB and havig to fold.

So my question is - Late stages when the blinds are catching up and you go form 40BB to 30BB just because of blind changes per level  shoul I open more and call less shoves or open less and be te one shoving more instead?

Hopefully this makes some sense??

I finished 8th in this one -cant help but think calling too light is the downfall and bleeding chips when medium stack go hard and shove wide.

Thanks all

Comments

• Options
    jimb0d1jimb0d1 Member Posts: 660
    edited May 2014
    Depends on the table but if you can get away with it, open every hand from late position if you need the chips!
  • Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited May 2014
    sounds to me like ur calling shoves to light but raise folding to tight. u will be exploited by raise folding to much by the shorties.
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited May 2014
    When an MTT gets to the late stages EVERYONES stack to BB ratio lessens. Its now we need to open up and forget about your cards to some degree and concentrate on position and putting pressure on others.

Best stacks to do this against are mid stacks. Low stacks are looking to get it in and big stacks can call wider and put pressure back on us. Mid stacks dont know wether to stick or twist, especially approaching the bubble.

Generally tho, just try to be the one putting someone allin rather than callng off. I'd rather fold A10 and push with J10.
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited May 2014
    Craigs spot on ^
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: How to measure your stack throughout a MTT:
    When an MTT gets to the late stages EVERYONES stack to BB ratio lessens. Its now we need to open up and forget about your cards to some degree and concentrate on position and putting pressure on others. Best stacks to do this against are mid stacks. Low stacks are looking to get it in and big stacks can call wider and put pressure back on us. Mid stacks dont know wether to stick or twist, especially approaching the bubble. Generally tho, just try to be the one putting someone allin rather than callng off. I'd rather fold A10 and push with J10.
    Posted by CraigSG1

Thanks all - looks like I need to get a bit braver1

love the advise on looking at the middle stacks - basically you described my play - like a cat in headlights!!!  Will make the most of my stack when in this range and look at putting pressure on those middles around me - go hard or go home i guess in that stage!

Thanks again
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited May 2014
    M and Q

Read Dan Harrington's (WSOP legend) thoughts. Don't buy the books - PM me and I'll give them to you for nowt.