You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What to do in this situation?

peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
edited December 2021 in Strategy
This hand is from the £2.20 @ 2:20 deepstack.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GaryQQQ Small blind   75.00 75.00 3320.00
lea116311 Big blind   150.00 225.00 22565.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

acerimm Fold        
GrumpusLOL Fold        
eamonn1959 Raise   450.00 675.00 10437.50
peter27 Call   450.00 1125.00 9660.00
GaryQQQ Fold        
lea116311 Fold        
Flop

• Q
  • K
  • J

eamonn1959 Check        
peter27 Bet   843.75 1968.75 8816.25
eamonn1959 Fold        
peter27 Muck        
peter27 Win   1125.00   9941.25
peter27 Return   843.75 0.00 10785.00
I'm happy with my actions pre-flop, not entirely sure about how to play this post-flop though. I raised 3/4 of the pot purely because I was scared that another diamond would give the opposition the flush (wanted him to fold). Then again, doesn't a big raise like this make it obvious that I'm not interested in the flush or straight?

Comments

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited May 2014
    I'd mostly 3bet pre but I digress...

I wouldn't be betting this flop to try and get a fold. It's highly unlikely the villain has flopped a straight or flush, so I'd be betting for value, but also for protection of course. Numerous turn cards can kill our action.

Board texture means we should be betting pretty big. If villain holds either the A or 10d then you're gonna get value from them. Any 2 pair will also come along for at least a street.

We're playing pretty deep, in position, and our hand is super underrepped, so you could maybe, just maybe, make a claim for checking the back the flop after he doesn't c-bet. But you'd need to have the discipline further down the line should the run out be a little funky. But generally if you smash a flop like this on a wet board, just start piling the chips in.

Sometimes they just don't have a hand to call with.

By the way, if we'd 3bet pre flop to maybe 1100 and got a customer, you could look to play for stacks much easier ;)
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2014
    hard to argue with what hhyftrftdr said, i 3b pre most of the time & prob just bet half pot.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: What to do in this situation?:
    I'd mostly 3bet pre but I digress... I wouldn't be betting this flop to try and get a fold. It's highly unlikely the villain has flopped a straight or flush, so I'd be betting for value, but also for protection of course. Numerous turn cards can kill our action. Board texture means we should be betting pretty big. If villain holds either the A or 10d then you're gonna get value from them. Any 2 pair will also come along for at least a street. We're playing pretty deep, in position, and our hand is super underrepped, so you could maybe, just maybe, make a claim for checking the back the flop after he doesn't c-bet. But you'd need to have the discipline further down the line should the run out be a little funky. But generally if you smash a flop like this on a wet board, just start piling the chips in. Sometimes they just don't have a hand to call with. By the way, if we'd 3bet pre flop to maybe 1100 and got a customer, you could look to play for stacks much easier ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Well, the reason I did not 3bet is to control the size of the pot. If a king or an ace came on the flop, then what would I do? Would have to be out a huge amount when there is a decent chance I could be behind. Also, he could have shoved all-in and I didn't really want to be flipping.

Hmmm, it is unlikely they flopped a straight or flush, but like you said "numerous turn cards can kill our action" and that's why I felt like I needed to take down the hand just then - maybe I could have done a big raise (but not all-in) like you said. I guess I went with the safer strategy.

hard to argue with what hhyftrftdr said, i 3b pre most of the time & prob just bet half pot.
    Posted by yoyo
    That surprises me - what if the flush draw or straight draw comes on the turn? We'll more than likely lose the hand, isn't that losing potential value? That's why I feel like we need to take the hand down there and then.

I'm trying to understand what I should do if this situation comes up again, and from what I've gauged from your comments it sounds like I should be raising a flop like that with a bet somewhere between 1/2 pot and 3/4 pot? I don't quite understand why that would be effective in the long run though, surely you'd just end up losing a lot of hands?
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited May 2014
    Peter, you've flopped 2nd set with a very under-repped hand, you are massive here. We have to bet this flop for value, not looking for a fold. Even if a 'scare' card comes down on the turn, we have position to pot control and check back if we want. Remember, they are probably just as wary of the diamonds as we are.

Pre flop.....we have QQ on the button. Pot control is the last thing on my mind tbh. We should be 3betting our button regularly anyway, so QQ is right at the top of our range. If we get 4bet then we can act accordingly (table/player dynamics etc). If he calls our 3bet and an A or K falls, then we should still bet it generally. A lot of the time we'll just take the pot down as an A or a K falls into our range quite nicely. If we get resistance, then we can use our positional advantage to control the hand.

We should not be looking to take this hand down there and then on the flop IMO sir :)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: What to do in this situation? : Well, the reason I did not 3bet is to control the size of the pot. If a king or an ace came on the flop, then what would I do? Would have to be out a huge amount when there is a decent chance I could be behind. Also, he could have shoved all-in and I didn't really want to be flipping. Hmmm, it is unlikely they flopped a straight or flush, but like you said "numerous turn cards can kill our action" and that's why I felt like I needed to take down the hand just then - maybe I could have done a big raise (but not all-in) like you said. I guess I went with the safer strategy. In Response to Re: What to do in this situation? : That surprises me - what if the flush draw or straight draw comes on the turn? We'll more than likely lose the hand, isn't that losing potential value? That's why I feel like we need to take the hand down there and then. I'm trying to understand what I should do if this situation comes up again, and from what I've gauged from your comments it sounds like I should be raising a flop like that with a bet somewhere between 1/2 pot and 3/4 pot? I don't quite understand why that would be effective in the long run though, surely you'd just end up losing a lot of hands?
    Posted by peter27
    We will lose some hands but poker is all about the long term. We have a monster hand and want to get appropriately paid for this monster. The other thing with our hand is that it can improve so we may go behind on the turn and improve on the river.
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited May 2014
    Agree with the majority

Bet half pot - you get called by anyone who has hit K or maybe the unlikely KJ hand, 10d 10x may come alony as well as Ad

you want these hands to come along as long term dictates you will get more value.

A bet that size will normally only get called by better or inflates pot so when another d comes or an A or 9 makes it harder to call it off at the end.

Set Q is a monster on this board - you want op to have hit something or be drawing.  Half pot bet - if they have flush they are just calling to keep you in.

YOU HAVE POSITION  - so one continuation bet - and this will give you the value and also you know you can see the next two cards for free - assuming the villian checks to you again (If he has a hand that is beating you he will just check expecting another bet)

That way you can pot control andbluff catch - as well as obviously turn your hand into a full house (30% chance)

Big bet = hands your crushing running away.

Question - the guy check raises - betting 800 means a typical reraise of 2400, betting 400 and just 1200 coming back at you - much easier to just flat!

Good luck!
  • Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited May 2014
    Agree with the majority Bet half pot - you get called by anyone who has hit K or maybe the unlikely KJ hand, 10d 10x may come alony as well as Ad you want these hands to come along as long term dictates you will get more value. A bet that size will normally only get called by better or inflates pot so when another d comes or an A or 9 makes it harder to call it off at the end. Set Q is a monster on this board - you want op to have hit something or be drawing.  Half pot bet - if they have flush they are just calling to keep you in. YOU HAVE POSITION   - so one continuation bet - and this will give you the value and also you know you can see the next two cards for free - assuming the villian checks to you again (If he has a hand that is beating you he will just check expecting another bet) That way you can pot control andbluff catch - as well as obviously turn your hand into a full house (30% chance) Big bet = hands your crushing running away. Question - the guy check raises - betting 800 means a typical reraise of 2400, betting 400 and just 1200 coming back at you - much easier to just flat! Good luck!
    Posted by Nuggy962

you do talk alot of sense these days nuggy. you make good contributions to hands and explain ur thought process very well and it takes alot to impress a nobhead like me. did you have a bang on the head or something? its hard to believe its the same person who talked so much plop a few months back :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Peter, you've flopped 2nd set with a very under-repped hand, you are massive here. We have to bet this flop for value, not looking for a fold. Even if a 'scare' card comes down on the turn, we have position to pot control and check back if we want. Remember, they are probably just as wary of the diamonds as we are. Pre flop.....we have QQ on the button. Pot control is the last thing on my mind tbh. We should be 3betting our button regularly anyway, so QQ is right at the top of our range. If we get 4bet then we can act accordingly (table/player dynamics etc). If he calls our 3bet and an A or K falls, then we should still bet it generally. A lot of the time we'll just take the pot down as an A or a K falls into our range quite nicely. If we get resistance, then we can use our positional advantage to control the hand. We should not be looking to take this hand down there and then on the flop IMO sir :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    That makes logical sense, thanks a lot Brian :-)

In Response to Re: What to do in this situation? : We will lose some hands but poker is all about the long term. We have a monster hand and want to get appropriately paid for this monster. The other thing with our hand is that it can improve so we may go behind on the turn and improve on the river.
    Posted by MattBates
    Okay, got it! Thanks Matt, very helpful :-)

Agree with the majority Bet half pot - you get called by anyone who has hit K or maybe the unlikely KJ hand, 10d 10x may come alony as well as Ad you want these hands to come along as long term dictates you will get more value. A bet that size will normally only get called by better or inflates pot so when another d comes or an A or 9 makes it harder to call it off at the end. Set Q is a monster on this board - you want op to have hit something or be drawing.  Half pot bet - if they have flush they are just calling to keep you in. YOU HAVE POSITION   - so one continuation bet - and this will give you the value and also you know you can see the next two cards for free - assuming the villian checks to you again (If he has a hand that is beating you he will just check expecting another bet) That way you can pot control andbluff catch - as well as obviously turn your hand into a full house (30% chance) Big bet = hands your crushing running away. Question - the guy check raises - betting 800 means a typical reraise of 2400, betting 400 and just 1200 coming back at you - much easier to just flat! Good luck!
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Very useful post, especially the section about playing my position, cheers!