You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

We flop three Queens. What now?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171
edited December 2021 in Strategy

Same Tourney ($200 PLO @ Binions) as the other thread, this is early in the Final.

We are in the Blinds with Q-7-3-3. 

6 limpers. (!)

Flop is.....

Q-Q-4, rainbow.

For lots of reasons I won't bore you with, we decide to check, & see what happens behind. You either hit this flop hard, or miss it completely, there are no draws.

It gets to the best player on the Table, & he pots it, about 16,000 as I recall. There are 3 players behind him, still to act. I have around 120,000 at this point. Blinds are 1,500 - 3,000. 

What should we do now, & WHY?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014

Incidentally, the player's name is Steve Chanthabouasy, if you want to THM him.  
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think its a quick fold. Probably call with something like QJT9 and raise AQKJ, but im not happy getting many chips in here
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And we fold because we are drawing terribly vs a made boat and also very unlikely to beat any other Qx. With 6 limpers the chances that he is bluffing is very very low - in a tournament I'd be unlikely to bet 44 on this board, let alone Qx
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    edited May 2014
    How many chips does he have? and what about the rest of the table ?
    Being completely honest, before reading coxy's reply I was going to call and see what comes next (this probably explains why I am just about breaking even on plo8 at the mo) Knowing you a little, I would expect you to fold and wait for when you are the boss of the situation, u know, make them dance to your tune not you to theirs.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited May 2014
    yeah coxy nails it, wouldn't even consider calling here, not a pot sized bet anyway. Make it half pot or smaller and it becomes trickier but still a trivial fold. Checking first was ofc correct too :)
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,556
    edited May 2014
    In Response to We flop three Queens. What now?:
    Same Tourney ($200 PLO @ Binions) as the other thread, this is early in the Final. We are in the Blinds with Q-7-3-3.  6 limpers. (!) Flop is..... Q-Q-4, rainbow. For lots of reasons I won't bore you with, we decide to check, & see what happens behind. You either hit this flop hard, or miss it completely, there are no draws.   It gets to the best player on the Table, & he pots it, about 16,000 as I recall. There are 3 players behind him, still to act. I have around 120,000 at this point. Blinds are 1,500 - 3,000.  What should we do now, & WHY?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'd need to see what other peeps have BUT I'd be fairly tempted to put "best player on the table" to the test.  IMO early on in PLO he'll more likely than not be "at it"?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Coxy nailed ths one, spot on, Chris. You should take up PLO. Oh, wait......

I dwelt for ever, then found the fold, mostly for the reasons you suggest. I'm losing to almost every Queen, can barely improve (the 3-3 in my hand makes it worse), & he can be protecting 4-4 for the flopped boat. With 2 players behind him, he HAS to have something.

I dwelt for so long (VERY unusual for me) that as soon as I folded, the kid to my right said "please don't tell me you folded the Queen there?". And all round the table, folks were rolling there eyes, & giggling quietly at my bad play.

And then my man showed his hand. 4-4, flopped boat. And he MUST protect that, it is extremely vulnerable multi-way.

Forget the result, it does not matter. I was pleased I folded this, I think it was a tricky spot, but a clear fold.  
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited May 2014
    Did they know what you had with your Q? Obviously just folding a random Qxxx hand there is bad but you literally have the worst possible Qxxx hand with only 1 good way of improving. (hitting a 7 OTT) - something like QT87 though and you have 9 ways of improving. Did this Steve limp in with 44 or was he in the BB? Generally pretty bad to be limping with a small pair! 

@ Glenelg: Nobody is going to be "at it" 6 way in a limped pot on a QQ4 flop. He has Qxxx or 44 every time. 

Interesting scenario here which occurs with PLO - if somebody behind you is holding a Q and you dwell for this long and then fold then they can pretty much put you on a Q (unless you made a ridic tight fold with 44) and as such they know Steve must have 44. Thus they can do some interesting stuff by calling flop and then raising turn or river regardless of whether they hit their FH or not ("as a bluff") because they know it's going to be hard/impossible for 44 to call.