You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Squeeeeeeeeeeeze

Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
edited December 2021 in Strategy

One of the things i've gotten alot better with is sizing but how much do you size a squeeze here?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Small blind  40.00 40.00 9825.00
Matt237 Big blind  80.00 120.00 12260.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

blue1970 Raise  160.00 280.00 12075.00
BIGBAZZA7 Call  160.00 440.00 17095.00
Call  160.00 600.00 23215.00
harold93 Call  160.00 760.00 6955.00
Call  120.00 880.00 9705.00
Matt237 Raise  1160.00 2040.00 11100.00
blue1970 Fold     
BIGBAZZA7 Fold     
Call  1080.00 3120.00 22135.00
harold93 Fold     
Call  1080.00 4200.00 8625.00
Flop

All-in  8625.00 12825.00 0.00
Matt237 All-in  11100.00 23925.00 0.00
ACall  11100.00 35025.00 11035.00
Show

Matt237Show
  • J
  • J

Show

Comments

• Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited June 2014
    looks ok sizing to me, id go smaller against a thinking player who actually knows u are capable of a squeeze or even knows what one is for that matter to give him chance to 4bet a worse hand.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze:
    looks ok sizing to me, id go smaller against a thinking player who actually knows u are capable of a squeeze or even knows what one is for that matter to give him chance to 4bet a worse hand.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Yeah this hand for instance they're all lower stake recs so decided to go big big. I mean you saw what they called me with lol. 

Often face squeeze spots with 2-3 callers but never really took off in a family pot. Comfortable with post flop aggro etc just the pre flop size sometimes gets me and i tend to end up going too big.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : Yeah this hand for instance they're all lower stake recs so decided to go big big. I mean you saw what they called me with lol.  Often face squeeze spots with 2-3 callers but never really took off in a family pot. Comfortable with post flop aggro etc just the pre flop size sometimes gets me and i tend to end up going too big.
    Posted by Matt237
    suppose you can never go to big on this site to be honest :-)
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited June 2014
    where the table is recs i might go for a bet size more like around 560 with JJ and QQ.
    you know they are very loose callers Axo  Kxs Qxs, your out of position too, so the last thing you would want to see coming is a picture or A. the problem that gives is now your left questiong weather or not he will hold the ace and if not would he call so you check and they do the crazy min betting.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited June 2014
    Playing very deep, so yeah I'd go for a chunky raise. As Rocky said though, if we have a decent player amongst them lot then we could go smaller to try and induce something.

FWIW, I think I might pass the flop donk jam. Sounds ridiculous I know. But I'd hazard a guess your edge on this table was significant. Generally we're gonna be slightly ahead or massively behind.

Just when you think nothing on sky can shock you.....66 cold calls behind vs 2 all ins....and its not even a BH!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    where the table is recs i might go for a bet size more like around 560 with JJ and QQ. you know they are very loose callers Axo  Kxs Qxs, your out of position too, so the last thing you would want to see coming is a picture or A. the problem that gives is now your left questiong weather or not he will hold the ace and if not would he call so you check and they do the crazy min betting.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Think thats a bit small, ideally want this heads up or 3 way at a max. 
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : Think thats a bit small, ideally want this heads up or 3 way at a max. 
    Posted by Matt237
    i was meaning around 880 to 960, not what craig said :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Playing very deep, so yeah I'd go for a chunky raise. As Rocky said though, if we have a decent player amongst them lot then we could go smaller to try and induce something. FWIW, I think I might pass the flop donk jam. Sounds ridiculous I know. But I'd hazard a guess your edge on this table was significant. Generally we're gonna be slightly ahead or massively behind. Just when you think nothing on sky can shock you.....66 cold calls behind vs 2 all ins....and its not even a BH!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Normally i would but vs this particular villain it wasn't an opportunity to be missed. But as you say the cold call is just brilliant. The run out was 9 and 6 too :-D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : Normally i would but vs this particular villain it wasn't an opportunity to be missed. But as you say the cold call is just brilliant. The run out was 9 and 6 too :-D
    Posted by Matt237
    Fair enough sir. I did something similar in the infamous 200 runner Rainman, right on the bubble. Called off a huge 3bet shove vs a certain player, too good a spot to not amass chips. He had the goods this one time, sigh :(

Edit- apologies, doing you a disservice there Matt! You got it in good and lost, I just got it in bad and it stayed bad ;)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited June 2014
    Playing very deep, so yeah I'd go for a chunky raise. As Rocky said though, if we have a decent player amongst them lot then we could go smaller to try and induce something. FWIW, I think I might pass the flop donk jam. Sounds ridiculous I know. But I'd hazard a guess your edge on this table was significant. Generally we're gonna be slightly ahead or massively behind. Just when you think nothing on sky can shock you.....66 cold calls behind vs 2 all ins....and its not even a BH!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    If we are folding on this flop is the squeeze not then bad as I can see a donk jam happening a lot?
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : If we are folding on this flop is the squeeze not then bad as I can see a donk jam happening a lot?
    Posted by MattBates
    Yeah agree with Matt - Squeezing this hand is horrible if we are even considering folding on a flop like this. If we want to play small ball because the table is so bad then just flat pre-flop.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : If we are folding on this flop is the squeeze not then bad as I can see a donk jam happening a lot?
    Posted by MattBates
    You really think people will often donk jam this flop for twice the pot size or thereabouts?
  • Options
    jordz16jordz16 Member Posts: 2,253
    edited June 2014
    In answer to the OP id be squeezing to between 800-950 unless i knew one of them was calling any bet in which case i guess anything up to 1,500 would be fine.
  • Options
    deadeyeddeadeyed Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2014
    with that many callers to the initial opener i like to squeeze big so i think your sizing is fine here, if they call you with the likes of 93 then why not charge them the max.....looks like a juicy loose tourney anyway :-)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : You really think people will often donk jam this flop for twice the pot size or thereabouts?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    At lower stakes yes
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : At lower stakes yes
    Posted by MattBates
    Fair enough!

Obviously with the squeeze and the callers, it means we are playing a large pot whether we like it or not. Don't think this necessarily means we have to get it all in on a low board, but yeah vs most lower stake randoms JJ is gonna be ahead a lot of the time.

From OP's comments, sounds like it was a great spot to accumulate chips vs that certain player, just got a tad unlucky ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Regardless of a donk jam being likely or not, what flop are you hoping to see when you squeeze with JJ? This is the best flop we can hope for! Folding should not enter our mind - if it does, then as Matt says play the small ball approach and flat pre. This isn't a bad option - against terrible players they'll likely pay off if we hit a set and we can get some value on favourable boards too as long as we are capable of folding if it looks like we're behind.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Regardless of a donk jam being likely or not, what flop are you hoping to see when you squeeze with JJ? This is the best flop we can hope for! Folding should not enter our mind - if it does, then as Matt says play the small ball approach and flat pre. This isn't a bad option - against terrible players they'll likely pay off if we hit a set and we can get some value on favourable boards too as long as we are capable of folding if it looks like we're behind.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    You always snap off a donk shove for almost 110bb in this spot after 3betting pre? I'd possibly pass vs some players, but then vs them I might play it a bit more cautiously.

Agree about peeling sometimes, disguises us nicely but would need to be played in a disciplined manner.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Pretty much this. When those cards came down i was never ever folding here, Donk jam just made it easier for me.

I agree with the bit in bold but these players really were quite bad, and i think i get much more value squeezing and being heads up/3 way vs a 6 way pot.

Thanks for the input everyone appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Squeeeeeeeeeeeze : You always snap off a donk shove for almost 110bb in this spot after 3betting pre? I'd possibly pass vs some players, but then vs them I might play it a bit more cautiously. Agree about peeling sometimes, disguises us nicely but would need to be played in a disciplined manner.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    How is it different calling off a donk shove and bet/turn shove ourselves or bet/calling it off? Either way when we build a pot that has a SPR of 2 we should not want to be giving up on the pot it's irrelevant that it's another 110bb's - there is a ton of money in already and because of this bad villains will be prepared to get it in with almost any pair here. And if they aren't - and are only GII with sets and NFD's etc but still calling pf really wide then squeeszing/c-betting with a really wide value range is going to be immensely profitable.

99% of the time I face a donk shove holding an overpair I'll snap it off though - Most of the time I find myself against 9x, sometimes a FD and occasionally a worse pair. In rare occurences I'll see another overpair (usually 99-QQ that didn't want to get it in pre against AK) and I would almost never expect to be up against a set. JJ does great vs that range. Well more than the equity we need to make a very +ev call.