You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

shoving when you know youre behind

GuyL2GuyL2 Member Posts: 11
edited December 2021 in Strategy
hey all, just wondering about the late stages of a tourney or sat, everyone is obviously playing a wider range of hands, mixing things up ect. but I never understand when you raise, someone shoves a rag hand into you for their tourney life.

why do they do this when they know it will be behind and therefore need to come from behind as a dog to stay in? 

obviously its annoying to be ahead pre and loose the hand but that's poker... I just thought that if you put your chips all in you want to have the best chance of winning the hand and this doesn't seem sensible?

any explanation would be appreciated thanks x

Comments

• Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited June 2014
    Fold Equity!
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited June 2014
    What Matt said.

You can shove junk with F/E, you can't call with junk. Plus shoving something workable like 910s and getting looked up by a large ace means you aren't far behind at all.

I'd rather 3bet jam J10s (assuming I think I can get it through) than A9o.
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited June 2014
    As above

You then have two ways to win the hand.  Late stages you will always have to get it all In prea good amount of times. Shoving light is fine, calling light is the problem.

If your getting chips in ahead then results will come over long term
  • Options
    K8LOUK8LOU Member Posts: 630
    edited June 2014
    When deep in an mtt its important to understand shoving and folding ranges, people will be often opening much wider as the blinds are more precious as we are often a lot shallower in the latter stages of an mtt, so 3 betting or jamming will often counter this and make you lots more money over time as a pose to sitting there with ur stack dwindling waiting for a hand to gii.
  • Options
    GuyL2GuyL2 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2014
    Appreciated thanks all. I can understand it all which is good:)
    Not played much poker lately, will be taking this into consideration now that I'm at the tables again!