You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

England loss to Uruguay is not so bad...

Comments

• Options
    12671267 Member Posts: 936
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: England loss to Uruguay is not so bad...:
    remember too that on monday, before our group games are played, Italy will know where Brazil and The Netherlands will be placed.  It might be that losing the game against Uruguay means that Italy will avoid them in the quarter-finals and be drawn to play a lesser team instead.  However, now that there is a risk of being eliminated in the Uruguay game they cannot manipulate the result without knowing our game result.  One consequence of losing (and not drawing) last night is that this option is no longer available to Italy.
    Posted by aussie09
    Quarter finals are irrelevant.  They are guranteed to play Brazil or Netherlands (assuming they win their groups) in the quarters anway.  They would have very little chance if their best players get injured/suspened on Tuesday when they don't need to risk it.
  • Options
    12671267 Member Posts: 936
    edited June 2014
    i'm not arguing with you 1267.  this is not like the chatbox episodes.
    Posted by aussie09
    Translation:    S***t im wrong.  Wish we drew last night.  Stupid Suarez.
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited June 2014
    Guys. As this is in Poker chat, it is obv Rob is a Scot pretending to be an Aussie.....while mocking the English. Shocking bluff, as per normal.
    Posted by MAXALLY

if only, alan.  totally an england supporter, but born in australia and living in scotland.  mind you, australia are out and scotland didnt qualify.

• Options
    tomo_efctomo_efc Member Posts: 716
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: England loss to Uruguay is not so bad... : The differances where small but noticeable.  Sturridge - missed 2 great chances Rooney - Missed 2 out of 3 great chances.  Jagielka didnt defend well.  Suarez had 2 chances, scored 2 goals. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Gerrard lost a tackle for first goal, and headed the ball, for an off-side Suarez to score the second. But as you say if you don't take your chances, 1 mistake from anybody and your out, the writing was on the wall in the 2 frendlies we played before the WC. And play people in position they play for there club.
  • Options
    profman15profman15 Member Posts: 1,808
    edited June 2014
    Sorry sir
         Lost interest in England doing anything tbh. To give Jagielka the blame for the two goals is ludicrous. Ask Stevie G his thoughts. Baines being given stick is a poor call by pundits too. He was given no cover in the first game and was a big threat in second. Poor old Glen Johnson looked liked a sunday 'leaguer' in both games and you needed to read the team sheet to know Henderson was on the pitch in either game. 
         As usual we big up a player on one good performance(Sterling) and hit hard on a below average performance by another(Rooney). Are all countries like this? We are just so slow in getting the ball from back to front. I hardly saw anyone carry out a succesful one-two with Baines in either game. God, dont they practice? The pundits are so funny. They have more time now and consequently have to find a point to make. Unfortunately, to hear the likes of Lee Dixon talking about moving up for offside makes me nod off.
         It really is a big bore and i'm a football lover as well. We will watch again and be let down again no doubt. Lets have a young team with an adventurous manager and get rid of the deadwood dross as well as playing a player in their best position or not at all. Rant over....back to sky sports!!!!
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    edited June 2014
    Sorry sir      Lost interest in England doing anything tbh. To give Jagielka the blame for the two goals is ludicrous. Ask Stevie G his thoughts. Baines being given stick is a poor call by pundits too. He was given no cover in the first game and was a big threat in second. Poor old Glen Johnson looked liked a sunday 'leaguer' in both games and you needed to read the team sheet to know Henderson was on the pitch in either game.       As usual we big up a player on one good performance(Sterling) and hit hard on a below average performance by another(Rooney). Are all countries like this? We are just so slow in getting the ball from back to front. I hardly saw anyone carry out a succesful one-two with Baines in either game. God, dont they practice? The pundits are so funny. They have more time now and consequently have to find a point to make. Unfortunately, to hear the likes of Lee Dixon talking about moving up for offside makes me nod off.      It really is a big bore and i'm a football lover as well. We will watch again and be let down again no doubt. Lets have a young team with an adventurous manager and get rid of the deadwood dross as well as playing a player in their best position or not at all. Rant over....back to sky sports!!!!
    Posted by profman15
    Hooray
    Someone else who thinks Johnson is a complete waste of space.
    Looked totally lost and disinterested for 89 mins against Uruguay.
    Every time he got the ball he didn't know what to do with it.
    He lost Cavani for the first goal as he was ball watching.
    Yes i know he made Rooneys goal, but he should be doing that all game long like he does for his club.
    We need a dominant midfield playmaker, Gerrard plays too deep and Henderson isn't strong enough.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited June 2014
    Sorry sir      Lost interest in England doing anything tbh. To give Jagielka the blame for the two goals is ludicrous. Ask Stevie G his thoughts. Baines being given stick is a poor call by pundits too. He was given no cover in the first game and was a big threat in second. Poor old Glen Johnson looked liked a sunday 'leaguer' in both games and you needed to read the team sheet to know Henderson was on the pitch in either game.       As usual we big up a player on one good performance(Sterling) and hit hard on a below average performance by another(Rooney). Are all countries like this? We are just so slow in getting the ball from back to front. I hardly saw anyone carry out a succesful one-two with Baines in either game. God, dont they practice?Posted by profman15
    If this was anonymous and we asked 100 people to guess the team of the author, I reckon at least 100 would answer Everton ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: England loss to Uruguay is not so bad... : If this was anonymous and we asked 100 people to guess the team of the author, I reckon at least 100 would answer Everton ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Well how did you guess D but tell me where I'm wrong in the points I've made in your opinion. I think Sturridge was our best player, Sterling had one good game and was mia in the other tbh. Why not play him on the wing and tell him to take on the full back instead of this silly return ball . He had the real pace along with Sturridge in our team. He couldn't play Barkley in a position that suited it seems. We are always the same. You could give teams a book on how we play.......why not play with more adventure. Rooney not my favourite to be honest wasEnglands best player last night and went up in my opinion for all the stick he's got got. Baines was let down by the players ahead of him IMO. Rooney in first game and Sterling/that man utd lad in second. It's just a big disappointment to be fair. I can't help feeling some England players were happy to play safe balls and not get the stick. Too safe IMO.
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: England loss to Uruguay is not so bad... : If this was anonymous and we asked 100 people to guess the team of the author, I reckon at least 100 would answer Everton ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 To this it always amuses me club rivarly seems more important to some that getting behind the national team.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: England loss to Uruguay is not so bad... :   Well how did you guess D but tell me where I'm wrong in the points I've made in your opinion. I think Sturridge was our best player, Sterling had one good game and was mia in the other tbh. Why not play him on the wing and tell him to take on the full back instead of this silly return ball . He had the real pace along with Sturridge in our team. He couldn't play Barkley in a position that suited it seems. We are always the same. You could give teams a book on how we play.......why not play with more adventure. Rooney not my favourite to be honest wasEnglands best player last night and went up in my opinion for all the stick he's got got. Gaines was let down by the players ahead of him IMO. Rooney in first game and Sterling/that man utd lad in second. It's just a big disappointment to be fair. I can't help feeling some England players were happy to play safe balls and not get the stick. Too safe IMO.
    Posted by profman15
    Well I don't agree or disagree too strongly with a lot of what you've said apart from the highlighted part.

The difference between the 2 teams was their 1 World Class player was much better than our 1 World class player.

Rooney missed 2 great chances out of 3, Suarez took 2 out of 2.

And that's the difference between a 2-1 loss and a 2-2 draw or a 2-3 win.

You've got to remember, the World Cup for us is over after 180 minutes. It's such a short, high variance format where individual mistakes and individual genius are both amplified to the max.

We didn't do much wrong, we competed well, tried hard, but as usual the key moments in the game at both ends went against us. And that's that for 4 more years I'm afraid :(
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Think the world cup has been very good so far.
    Even as a Spanish supporter and all we had to watch I'm still enjoying it.
    Although it helps when you have class A pundits like Giles Dunphy and Brady overseeing all the matches.
    Check out RTE on you tube for some comedy gold.
    You may have heard Dunphy had to apoligise after using the F word on air during the week.
    The following are a few of his quotes from through the years hopefully it will cheer a few England fans up after last nights game.
    Not sure how many will get through the sky poker filter 

Eamon Dunphy: "Look at Graeme, he won four Champions Leagues."
    Graeme Souness: " Three."
    Dunphy: " He won four league titles."
    Souness: "Five."
    Dunphy: "It's not **** Mastermind."

Sergio Ramos ? No bill the chaps a head banger.... Paul mc Shane on steroids

Speaking about Man United football club - "If I was a fan, I would want them to sell out to a sugar daddy, we all need a sugar daddy.

Eamonn on Glen Whelan:
    "A terrible player, He can't run, He can't pass, He can't tackle. He can't see anything...And he drives two Ferraris!"

During an argument between the panel: Dunphy to Souness - "You don't know what you're talking about! 
    Souness: "Where did you manage"?
    Dunphy: "I've never managed anywhere, I've managed to stay alive for 63 and a half years baby"

On Sven Goran Erikksson and Garth Crooks in 2006 - "That's the first time I've seen s*x between two men on the BBC"

On Harry Kewell - Harry Kewell is fat and a clown Bill, a fat clown for all to see

"I think Niall Quinn is a creep"

Just at the end there with 7 or 8 minutes to go.. City are looking for a goal.. Mancini takes off Aguero the goalscorer.. and brings on James Milner!! Thats brain damage!!

One from tonight - Yaya Toure Lounging around midfield like a lounge lizard, looks like his wage packet fell on his foot!

On Djibril Cisse - Here we have Cisse, right wing, attempts to put in a cross, Bang.. hits the full back, again Bang.. hits the full back, Bang.. off the full back again, and once more, Bang.. smacks the full back again. Millions of euro and he can't clear the first man, I mean what is he trying to do to the full back here, Kill him??

Kilbane's head is better than his feet. If only he had 
    three heads, one on the end of each leg

On Rio Ferdinand after United played Celtic in the Champions League - Ferdinand is a clown. He was a liability for the 
    first goal and he is always a liability. It was Jan Vennegor of Hesselink against Rio Ferdinand of Barclays Bank.
    And my personal favourite ........

"Bill, Hartson is not a 7million pound player...it’s a disgrace, a shambles! This is the state of football today Bill. I have a clip here of why Hartson is NOT a £7million player....Roll it there Bill!(literally 1 second in to the clip) OKAY, HOLD IT THERE BILL!!! (draws a circle around Hartson's bottom not the word he used) Bill, that is NOT the bottom of a £7million player!''
    BTW Bill is the name of the host.

Have to find the most recent stuff but he also said in the first match if England qualify for the last 16 he will wear a dress on the show.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
        Love your Irish post Day.think id refer this than the repetitive drivel that emanates from 'our' pundits. It's not inter club rivalry though D. We are just more observant of rival teams players in our national team. You will realise when you get one! Lol
         Dohhhhh I give Rooney credit because he didn't hide. No in both games we weren't pulverised and both were close games but not really full of skilful exciting football. Suarez was under orders not to chase most probably and just used his football rain. First goal was the cross, header ok. Second down to anticipation again. Yes you're right such small margins over 180 mins but don't you feel we see the same england set up tournament upon tournament . Probably its down to the premier league set up .      Our stars shrink when they put on  a England shirt. Give it to the no fear youngsters like lallana ,Barkley and co.I'm sat here watching Italy v Costa Rica now and Italy can't get going...wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica don't get a goal and hang on for draw. We shouldn't be relying on other teams to do it for us. So hard lines england but did anyone really expect different? Nice post Aussie by the way and good points made but .............oh well....never mind.........
  • Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited June 2014

"THEY THINK IT'S ALL OVER...

IT IS NOW"

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I actually nodded off half way through the second half. Good luck to the Costa's as at least they played the game with a bit of adventure and laissez faire. England just played it with 'lazy flair' ....hmm just thought of that one....sorry I did now ha!
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited June 2014
    Aussie was right then, it didn't matter if we drew or lost last night. Either way we would still be out.
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited June 2014
    2 pedestrian midfielders and 4 forwards shoe-horned into the team, not much in between. Ho hum. They just sat in front if the back four and passed sideway to each other, except when  gerrard raked the odd long sideways pass to johnson. 

Asking gerrard to play like pirlo was a ridiculous ask, making him captain only ensured a player bereft of pace, drive and form was assured a place right at the heart of the team. Only two english players in recent times have the requisite technique and vision to play that deep and run a game, and beckham and scholes have both retired.much rather have a proper defensive midfielder and play one of the benched midfielders who can affect a game higher up. Gerrard and henderson were so meh it was dull.

Sterling showed enough to show hes going to be at the heart of any team he plays in. Hope hes not shunted to the wing for england.

Lots of cause for optimism with the young lads though.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    2 pedestrian midfielders and 4 forwards shoe-horned into the team, not much in between. Ho hum. They just sat in front if the back four and passed sideway to each other, except when  gerrard raked the odd long sideways pass to johnson.  Asking gerrard to play like pirlo was a ridiculous ask, making him captain only ensured a player bereft of pace, drive and form was assured a place right at the heart of the team. Only two english players in recent times have the requisite technique and vision to play that deep and run a game, and beckham and scholes have both retired.much rather have a proper defensive midfielder and play one of the benched midfielders who can affect a game higher up. Gerrard and henderson were so meh it was dull. Sterling showed enough to show hes going to be at the heart of any team he plays in. Hope hes not shunted to the wing for england. Lots of cause for optimism with the young lads though.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Very well put Teddy. I think you hit the nail ,or nails rather on the head. Let's pick our best players and try to shoehorn them in instead of building a team with players who can play in their alloted position. Whatever happened to managers recognising this. They know now they they get two competitions if that to sort it so why not make some bold decisions the take their pay offs . I'm disillusioned with so much of the the modern day ethos in football it's untrue. I suppose it just comes from seeing how great it CAN be never mind how much of a mess some make of it for fabulously exorbitant pay packets. 
    Onward and upward eh!
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited June 2014
    2 pedestrian midfielders and 4 forwards shoe-horned into the team, not much in between. Ho hum. They just sat in front if the back four and passed sideway to each other, except when  gerrard raked the odd long sideways pass to johnson.  Asking gerrard to play like pirlo was a ridiculous ask, making him captain only ensured a player bereft of pace, drive and form was assured a place right at the heart of the team. Only two english players in recent times have the requisite technique and vision to play that deep and run a game, and beckham and scholes have both retired.much rather have a proper defensive midfielder and play one of the benched midfielders who can affect a game higher up. Gerrard and henderson were so meh it was dull. Sterling showed enough to show hes going to be at the heart of any team he plays in. Hope hes not shunted to the wing for england. Lots of cause for optimism with the young lads though.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    +1............could not have put it any better. Are you a pundit in disguise??

Feel we could have a promising future though
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Good points but Bechkam was the most over rated footballer in recent times.Never controlled a game and certainly hadn't got the game game to play centre mid. The guy had no speed and couldn't tackle.Great crosser of a ball but failed constantly at the world cup .Reminds me a lot of Rooney.
    Scholes was a super midfielder but I remember him been shifted to the left side of mid to accomadate other players.
    The second bolded bit I think is most concern for the English team.
    The front four all looked okay v Italy esp Sterling but to accomadate Rooney they changed things against an average Uruguay team.Remember they lost two first choice defenders and had a guy with two league starts in defence.Repetation seems to have a major say in England teams and not players in form.
    The sooner the better  people and media esp realise Rooney isn't world class the better.
    The guy is a very good premier league player but can't be classed as world class as  he has a shocking first touch. I think England with the right tactics and players could have gone  a bit further.

The keeper is good no better no worse.
    Defence Baines and Johnson are both good going forward but bad defenders
    Midfield Gerrard best days behind him , Henderson should get more time. Sterling playing at 10 could be something special. Welbeck hard worker but just this years Heskey.
    Forwards Rooney has had enough chances and doesn't deliver when needed.
    Sturridge off the back of a great season but another good prem player but spent too much time looking for frees.

England have some really good young players coming through Like Shaw Barclay and Sterling and the young defender at everton.Maybe its time to get a system in place and give these guys a chance instead of picking the old reliables.
    There has been some great  preformances from players playing in the championship at this world cup but once these guys put on the national jersey they preform to a much higher standar.

• Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited June 2014
    Becks was the most underrated player of his generation.

Peeps say his celebrity made him over rated, I disagree. It was his public life - sarongs, haircuts and spice-wife etc - that clouded the basic fact that techinically he was streets ahead of his peers. He dominated games for united, often running matches,  from the right of midfield. And that was in a team featuring scholes, keane and giggs in their pomp. If he looked like ian dowie and had the personality of phil neville his football would have stood out more. 

Precious few players in europe possessed beckhamms technique, never mind england. You are right he wasnt flashy, didnt accelerate past players (though he was a fit as any player) , and was no david batty defensively, granted. (I dont want my zidanes, hoddles and beckhams to be like david batty. Battyness aint all that in midfield see pirlo iniesta et al)

But pure technique,  vision and knowhow. Yup, he was a boss.

And he was so dreamy too.... sigh