You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

1/2 pot bet on what is a wet board reraise or call (TP Qkicker)

craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
edited July 2014 in Strategy
his opening bet preflop is 4xBB and seems to be a TAG player.
when he chooses to just call preflop i'm ruling out AK KK and JJ. in a earlier hand he had a set of sixes but decided to just call it when the flop was Kd 6d 4s and then went Ch/all in on the turn, that hand did see me 3bet a hand preflop so he might be calling it to keep QQ and JJ in play.
when i do decide to call i'm putting him on either KJ 44 TP+flush or nut flush draw, it's his decision to just bet 1/2 pot on a board which has so many draws i would be thinking he'd pot size bet the turn the reason i would be calling the turn is i've got him on a draw.

could i do a raise on the turn or should it have been the flop that i did a reraise?

tburns7506 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £4.29
argo Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £70.14
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

craigcu12 Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £22.21
whiffs Fold        
a Call   £0.60 £1.50 £27.38
tburns7506 Fold        
argo Fold        
Flop

• K
  • J

craigcu12 Bet   £0.80 £2.30 £21.41
a Raise   £3.13 £5.43 £24.25
craigcu12 Call   £2.33 £7.76 £19.08
Turn

craigcu12 Check        
a Bet   £3.88 £11.64 £20.37
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited July 2014

This feels like the sort of situation where if you call the raise on the flop, which you do thinking you're ahead, you must be thinking a bet on the turn is very likely and therefore on a brick should expect to call again and see what the river brings.

That said, against a TAG it would seem unlikely you are in good shape when you get raised on the flop unless there is history between you both and you have notes that suggest a wider range.

Think it also has to taken that if they are an OK TAG then they will assign you some credit for raising UTG and know that the flop is likely to have hit you quite hard and make bluffing even less likely.

At worst they have 44 or KJ and you are almost out of it, possibly they have something with huge equity as a semi bluff such as QcTc (AcQc / AcTc / QTo etc) but you have to decide (on the flop) if they have that enough of the time to call (most likely) three streets of bets.  Or they have KQ and you have a split pot.

Can't see many other hands there that would be in a TAG range and unless you know they play their draws that aggressively I'd probably give credit to a set / two pair and (hopefully) sigh fold the flop...

• alex1229alex1229 Member Posts: 680
    edited July 2014
    Pretty weak bet on the turn, stick with the hand
  • F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited July 2014
    So you call flop raise vs a range that is crushing you? Just fold flop if you think his range is that tight.
  • craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited July 2014
    on the flop although i was concerned about KJ and 44 i didn't yet rule out him doing a semi bluff because i do play him regularly and he probably knows i'll be charging the draws by betting with hands like AQ QQ AJ and QJs.
  • 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2014

Unless the villain is a complete nit don't fold the flop.

Sizing looks a bit weak on the turn. Would be calling turn and calling blanks rivers and feeling pretty comfortable about it.

You don't have a club either which helps.

• Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited July 2014
    In Response to 1/2 pot bet on what is a wet board reraise or call (TP Qkicker):
    when i do decide to call i'm putting him on either KJ 44 TP+flush or nut flush draw
    Posted by craigcu12
    Sorry if i'm being an idiot here but why are we calling if we have him on this range? Slightly confused
  • craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: 1/2 pot bet on what is a wet board reraise or call (TP Qkicker):
    In Response to 1/2 pot bet on what is a wet board reraise or call (TP Qkicker) : Sorry if i'm being an idiot here but why are we calling if we have him on this range? Slightly confused
    Posted by Matt237

one of my problems at the minute is doing a reraise that is still going to keep the weak hands in, i've made it regularly with sets two pair and flush draws but see them people fold. So what i did was call with it on the flop, then see what size bet he makes on the turn.
    if i am going to raise with top pair how much should it be to still see him calling weaker hands?

or should i actually have just folded on th flop even if i was ahead of the flush draws?