You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Pot too bloated, where was the error?

peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
edited December 2021 in Strategy
This hand is from a £5 DYM, no reads.

I got myself into trouble with a hand I often seem to play badly, AK. I think my re-raise pre-flop was okay, not entirely sure why I made it 305 and not 300 though haha. Half-pot continuation bet on the flop and at that point the pot was too bloated and I couldn't really make another bet on the turn - planned the whole thing very badly.

What should I have done?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
peter27 Small blind   25.00 25.00 2785.00
MagicMern Big blind   50.00 75.00 1720.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

vixxxy Raise   150.00 225.00 1735.00
skooby8 Fold        
jimcolem06 Fold        
Thedoctor9 Fold        
peter27 Raise   305.00 530.00 2480.00
MagicMern Fold        
vixxxy Call   180.00 710.00 1555.00
Flop

• J

peter27 Bet   355.00 1065.00 2125.00
vixxxy Call   355.00 1420.00 1200.00
Turn

• Q

peter27 Check        
vixxxy Check        
River

peter27 Check        
vixxxy All-in   1200.00 2620.00 0.00
peter27 Fold        
vixxxy Muck        
vixxxy Win   1420.00   1420.00
vixxxy Return   1200.00 0.00 2620.00

Comments

• Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited August 2014
    Your raise p/f is ok. i prefer a call though as it's already been raised, this saves you chips here & if we miss flop we have just ace high... and we are out of position another factor to factor in  lol
    your 1/2 pot flop bet is ok but probably going to get called from pre flop raiser, so i prefer a ch fold here.
    the turn going ch ch doesn't tell us much other than neither wants to commit to hand.
    once you ch river, that's 2 streets we've shown weakness, so opponent goes allin we have to fold.
    with 1420 in pot you could have tried a small bet here to try & win those chips maybe 400 or so but without reads on opponent it's hard to know if they would call you anyway. i think they would here.
    this is why having notes on players is key, as this dictates our moves, especially with marginal holdings like this.
    without notes i take the cautious line.. most of the time.  ie, call pre-flop ch fold on flop.

you said it, you planned it badly. it's a game of chess & you have to think ahead... all the time..
    what if i do this & they do that, what if they do that what do i do, sort of thing.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited August 2014
    Don't really play DYM's so feel free to disregard but...

I'd raise bigger pre (or call if going to make a tiny raise)

I'd go with the hand on the turn....we have the As in our hand, two probably live over cards and a guaranteed out to broadway, with the aggression and betting lead, plus the Q is a good card for our range. Whether we go all in or just make a large bet that leaves little behind is your call.

Probably call the river as played.
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Pot too bloated, where was the error?:
    Don't really play DYM's so feel free to disregard but... I'd raise bigger pre (or call if going to make a tiny raise) I'd go with the hand on the turn....we have the As in our hand, two probably live over cards and a guaranteed out to broadway, with the aggression and betting lead, plus the Q is a good card for our range. Whether we go all in or just make a large bet that leaves little behind is your call. Probably call the river as played.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    A very late response to this , intrigued as to why here?
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2014
    Pretty standard in this spot to just flat pre. When we 3bet an UTG raiser out of position in a DYM 6 handed, we're pretty much repping QQ+. If he comes back over the top we have to fold and thrown easy chips away. As played I'd jam the turn, smashes our perceived range and we still can have KK/AA here. Outs if called. If we bet the flop, I think we have to jam most turns.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Pot too bloated, where was the error?:
    In Response to Re: Pot too bloated, where was the error? : A very late response to this , intrigued as to why here?
    Posted by Matt237
    Everyone loves to be a hero.