You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

River line check

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited September 2014 in Strategy
Should this be a bet / fold spot in order to avoid giving oppo the chance to bluff / call with worse 9x hands... or am I better off just shutting down with straight, backdoor flush and a good number of full houses coming in?

I know it overlooks the dubious nature of opening A9s from the SB, but oppo was limping so frequently and BB is a fairly TAG player so I'm frequently going to be heads up at the flop.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.45
richtea Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.70
  Your hole cards
  • A

oppoCall  £0.10 £0.25 £7.08
BLUCHERBOY Fold     
shep325 Fold     
shakinaces Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £10.05
richtea Fold     
oppoCall  £0.35 £1.00 £6.73
Flop

shakinaces Bet  £0.60 £1.60 £9.45
oppoCall  £0.60 £2.20 £6.13
Turn

shakinaces Bet  £1.30 £3.50 £8.15
oppoCall  £1.30 £4.80 £4.83
River

shakinaces ???

Comments

• Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited August 2014
    Its not a dubious iso at all imo, great hand to do it with.

might go bigger on turn but think I'm just shipping the river, the flush is a backdoor one, he should have no 5x and very few Tx but still enough hands to pay us off. Think b/f is too tight given stack sizes and don't like c/c cos he'll checkback almost everything we beat
  • DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,925
    edited August 2014

I was going to post on this when I read it yesterday and say c/f :D

Hard to b/f with stacks even though he's never bluff jamming w/ no fe, nor wud be be shipping worse for value.

Don't think he ever value bets worse if we check, and probably checks back his showdown value too rather than spin it into a bluff. 

I'd check and hope he checks back his missed diamonds.......
  • seanallenseanallen Member Posts: 114
    edited August 2014

Can't really see any need to bet to prevent him from bluffing, may as well check/ call a bet similar to the size we was thinking about betting. Saves us the amount of our planned bet when he shoves/ calls with better sometimes. Plus we potentially get value from bluffs for about the same price.

I'd personally check/ fold to any reasonably sized bet versus gen pop, call with specific reads maybe.
  • UridiumUridium Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2014
    Horrible card, you are out of position so the villain has a massive advantage over you, putting another penny in the pot is throwing good money after bad IMHO.
  • 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2014
    Jamming river is waaay to thin.

C/f imo.
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited September 2014

Thanks for feedback all.

I suppose lesson learned is to try and avoid playing bigger pots out of position?

FWIW I sigh check/folded the hand (he obv had the perfect stack size to shove river and did just that).

It just really felt like he'd just taken advantage of my perceived (or obvious) weakness to steal the pot and got me wondering if there may have been a less passive way to potentially see a showdown / win the hand.