You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Low - limit cash advice

Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Can someone give me the key tips to playing cash, but especially at the 2p - 4p level. I haven't played at all before so it's all new stuff. I've observed some tables on the site and been quite amazed by what has been revealed at some showdowns with some very peculiar play to say the least.

Another thing that I need to know is what sort of bankroll I would need, and also how often to I top up when the buy-in drops?

Cheers,  Dude

Comments

• Options
    lJAMESllJAMESl Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2010
    If you want to give it a serious go then 10-15 buyins is perfect around £40-£60. My advice would be pretty simple play premium hands, try to play position and rarely bluff. Players at these stakes are just waiting to give you their money, although this style may be a boring one to adapt, it will be the most profitable one in the long run.

James
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited January 2010
    I would also add to James' advice by saying bet big hands very strongly pre flop as u will still get multiple callers to 4x raises and KK / AA doesnt play good vs more than 1 opponent.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    Hi mate i used to play this level at first and you are correct it is amazing what hands some people play with.I would watch the table for a little while and get a feel for what is happening.See who is very loose and try to target them when you get a hand.As you are prob aware players say only ever play 5% of your role that you can lose but at this level unless your role is very small you cant really lose a fortune.Hope you are lucky and see ya soon.dav
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Low - limit cash advice:
    I would also add to James' advice by saying bet big hands very strongly pre flop as u will still get multiple callers to 4x raises and KK / AA doesnt play good vs more than 1 opponent.
    Posted by phil12uk
    Morning phil i know what you mean but perhaps you aint played this level in quiet a while i imagine.You can raise 10x even 20x the BB and still get multiple callers.lol dav
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Thanks guys, also should I pay attention to the average pot, should I aim for a high average pot or low average pot table ? Or is there not much differnce.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks guys, also should I pay attention to the average pot, should I aim for a high average pot or low average pot table ? Or is there not much differnce.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Higher average is better as it indicates the table is fairly loose.dav
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Whether you think a high or low average pot is beneficial depends on your style. If you are going to play a "tight aggressive" style then look for a table with a high average as it means that you are likely to get more opportunities to get paid with your big hands. If you are going to try to run over a table (a very dangerous style at lower limits) then you should look for a table with a low average pot as this indicates that the players are tighter and will lay down hands when you make a "move".

However, take the "average pot" figure with a pinch of salt.
    It is an average over a significant period of time (I think) and it doesn't necessarily reflect the play of the people who are currently sat at the table.
    It's much more useful to observe the play at the table.

• Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Play tight in EP.
    Loosen up on the CO/BTN and get used to exploiting position.
    Tighten up on the blinds (no need for fancy postflop plays).

Just value bet 3 streets with your TPTK+ and respect raises/shoves unless you're holding close to the nuts. Only need to fire a single Cbet, no need for firing 2 barrels unless you're on a strong draw with a made hand.

And play your hands aggressiveLy - NO SLOWPLAYING.

There's so much advice to be given since these limits really are ABC, but these are my main pointers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Woild it be wiser to just take a free card to a straight or flush draw rather than semibluff, as I heard this mentioned on strategy guide, basically saying it can save you money if someones slowplaying two-pair and is gonna check raise the flop. Checking behind stops them doing this then if you hit your more likely to get paid as they can't put it down ?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    Woild it be wiser to just take a free card to a straight or flush draw rather than semibluff, as I heard this mentioned on strategy guide, basically saying it can save you money if someones slowplaying two-pair and is gonna check raise the flop. Checking behind stops them doing this then if you hit your more likely to get paid as they can't put it down ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Semi-bluffing is generally a bad tactic on a table where you think people are unlikely to put any hand down.
    The benefit of semi-bluffing is that you gain fold equity - i.e. you win hands from people who lay down (currently) stronger hands. Heads-up, if your opponents never lay down hands then you should take the free cards. In multi-way pots where you expect to get multiple callers then there can be some merit in betting your draws since it means that you are likely to get paid more when you hit.