You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Small pocket pairs mid/late stages 15-25 bbs??

jordz16jordz16 Member Posts: 2,253
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Just after peoples opinions on how to play them really, under 10bbs, im happy to open shove any pair, 10-15 on the button/small blind/big blind then again im happy to shove pre,  and anything 25 bbs + im happy to min raise and probably fold to any reraise.... but I am never too sure what to do when i have 15-25 bbs so lately i have just started folding them pre, unless on the button when im happy to min raise..

just wondering if people think folding pairs pre in an unopened hand is a leak??

Comments

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited September 2014
    As always with these types of questions: it depends! Not just on your chip stack but others at the table. Generally though I won't open HJ or UTG with small pairs. But if the table is playing really tight then I'll be opening HJ and UTG much more often with them.
  • Options
    bearlytherbearlyther Member Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Small pocket pairs mid/late stages 15-25 bbs??:
    As always with these types of questions: it depends! Not just on your chip stack but others at the table. Generally though I won't open HJ or UTG with small pairs. But if the table is playing really tight then I'll be opening HJ and UTG much more often with them.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

This loads of factors involved game flow plays a big part in it its hard to give a definate answer.

• Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Small pocket pairs mid/late stages 15-25 bbs?? : This loads of factors involved game flow plays a big part in it its hard to give a definate answer.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Put them on AK everytime and get the pairs in pre?
  • Options
    bearlytherbearlyther Member Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Small pocket pairs mid/late stages 15-25 bbs?? : Put them on AK everytime and get the pairs in pre?
    Posted by Matt237
    +1
  • Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2014
    I would generally not be shoving (for example) a pair of threes, in an unopened pot, with (for example) twenty-two bigs. It just feels a little too early to be going with it. A min-raise at that stage usually gives you the same answer.
  • Options
    benjibluebenjiblue Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2014
    15-25bb is tricky with pocket pairs espically because sky doesn't have antes in play.

Given all tables are 6 max though, I'd be happy min raising still because I've found all players on sky to be very passive in general. You can muck your really terrible hands like 22-44 UTG on these stack sizes but apart from that come in for a min raise. There is a huge difference between 15-25bb though.

Open shoving for 15bb with like 44+ from UTG+ is for sure profitable. Open shoving anything more though is becoming marginal, whilst it's still profitable to shove for example 25bb 33 UTG it's certainly not optimal by any means espically because there are never antes in play in skys tournaments.

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited October 2014
    I don't know how you can think shoving 25bb's UTG with 33 can be profitable.
  • Options
    cowheadcowhead Member Posts: 177
    edited December 2014
    Hi Jordz,  good question. Personally, for me it depends on the table dynamic. A decent amount of time I simply don't play them with a stack size of 15-25. Not sure if you've read them (and some say they're old and outdated) but one of the Harrington on Holdem has a section devoted to playing these size stacks. Might be worth a look if you gaven't already read them.
  • Options
    Gudge92Gudge92 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2015
    anything under 20 bigs with 8's or higher i think u need to shove. the amount of times u will take down the pot and take the small and big with a few limpers will be alot greater then the amount of times you will call. Like most of the other players have said table dynamics can also come into it